Is it official? Is Donovan back with us?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Bayer04fan, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Moderators note:

The next time I see ANYONE insulting other posters in this forum or in this thread, I will request a yellow card.

STOP IT NOW!!!!!

This is your one and only warning.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    I wasn't the one making statements on who discovered this nobody kid.

That's it... the Bayer Leverkusen forum has gone down the crapper with fanboys flocking here.

Good thing I am not a fan of this very average club.

3. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    lets just wait and see how LD does in the bundesliga, im sure bayer will give him his chance but until he actually plays we won't be able to judge him.

4. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    You obviously have never seen Barthez play as a midfielder.

Why is Matthaus suddenly brought into this? Oh yeh he is European and those kinda people are all the same.

6. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't blaspheme.

Donovan is a very, very talented soccer player. He WILL play for Leverkusen regulaarly and you WILL NOT regret it. The guy is world class.

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The unbiased reality of this situation is that he has a 50-50 chance of getting a starting spot, and should definitely get some playing time given the depth of squad needed to play in multiple competitions. Before the FIFA ruling against it, teams would aggressively recruit foreigners for youth teams, and they still do for the reserve teams and definitely for off-the-bench players. The team is clearly excited to get him, but no one can tell just where he'll fit in.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

As I said earlier, if he does well then good for him. I never said he WILL NOT play. Leverkusen's current formation and inform players leaves only one spot for him to fill provided Ponte continues his slump.

Praise the Lord.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Moderators are a stupid face.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were leaving, since you said you don't like Bayer and you obviously don't like Donovan. You might have a happier life and disposition if you did just leave.

Just a suggestion. Trying to make your day brighter. :)

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    I never said I was "leaving", try reading a little slower... "just a suggestion" :).

Just because I am of the opinion that a player must prove his worth to get a spot in a team means I don't like that player? That's right it's "you're either with us or against us" attitude.

I wish I could be so naive too with Donovan praise; but since I work in Leverkusen, I do root for them in the Champions League so I try to keep my feet on the ground and not fantasize about a player that last time round did nothing but whinge like a baby.

12. theleftymop

theleftymop Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As a Galaxy fan, I am not inclined to say nice things about Donovan, but there is no denying that the kid can play. He has improved plenty since he left Germany, and he is plenty good enough to contribute to Leverkusen's season.

Landon has clearly been the best player in MLS for quite a while, and MLS is a better league than many people in Europe think. Also, his play in a US uniform demonstrates he can perform at the international level.

The argument that his performances in the World Cup don't mean a thing because others played well in the tournament and have done poorly doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Donovan had a good WC, and while that doesn't make him an 'international superstar', it shows that he can play well. It might not prove he is going to be a sure hit, but it reflects positively on him. Not everyone is Diouf.

The issue of how well Landon can settle in Germany is a valid concern, but I just don't buy into the idea that he isn't good enough to get a game at Leverkusen.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought you said you weren't a fan of them? How can you root for them in Champions League? I don't get it. I'm obviously too slow.

Anyway, I think a player needs to prove his worth as well - Donovan has in MLS and in international play, just not yet in Germany - but you're not giving him a chance. In fact, you're holding it against him for what he did as a 17/18 year old. Fair enough. But I'd sure hate to have people hold against me what I did when I was 17/18 years old. Course, perhaps that's your age now. I won't hold it against you. :)

I am a fan of his and I hope he does well.
    (Oh, and the proper spelling is w-h-i-n-e.)

Oh, and one more thing - I'd encourage you to get those feet off the ground and do a little dreaming of your own. It does make life more fun.

14. Malkamus

Malkamus New Member

Jan 24, 2002

Barthez may be able to play in the midfield in MLS, but no MLS team in their right mind sign him as a keeper.

Good luck to LD with BL.

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lets all see what his coach and teammates think of him before passing any judgment on him walking into Leverkusen and starting. The more I read into it, I think that was one of his problems from the begining besides being new to the German culture, language, was he thought he would be able to get regular XI which is a bit foolish. However if he did get reserve action then, it should have been a good sign for him that he would eventually work up into the XI down the road.

I for one am glad he is finally going to Europe. He had outgrown the MLS and it is time for him to move on.

16. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Having read this post from the beginning it is perfectly clear that you deleted by moderator

17. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    The best player on a US national team that outplayed Germany in WC '02 and has only gotten better can't displace a guy whose not a Brazillian regular, a guy who is only a regular on an unimpressive Polish team, and two regulars on the German national team?

I mean, if this team's midfield can't use a player whose transfer value is at about 10 million Euro, and only that low because of lack of proof at the top flight level, then your team's play this year is simply inexcusable.

18. Bayer04fan

Bayer04fan New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA,USA
    This thread sure has gotten nasty now hasn't it? Whatever problems LD had when he arrived at the young age of 17 are pretty much pointless now. He is 22 and much more mature. At 17, those of us who played footbal, didn't we all want to start and be a star? Now that he has grown up, he will handle it better, IMO

So before people start talking trash, lets wait and see what happens.

19. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do make some good points. I think a lot of US fans put too much emphasis on his play in WC. He played a really good tournament but then as you mentioned Diouf had a good tournament and everyone knows where that ended up. However, I think that Donovan has a good future ahead off him. The whole incident with leverkusen happend 4 years ago and though I do question his temperament from time to time, I think that if he can settle in nicely, he'll be a great player for leverkusen.

However, you then make a really silly comment about the MLS. I doubt you've even seen any MLS games but yet you make a very quick assumption about play over here. Contrary to what most Euros will say, the level of play here is very good for league of MLS' age and it's roughly equivalent to mid and upper level Coca Cola league in England. And he's wouldn't be the first person to go overseas and do well. Bocanegra is starting for Fulahm at left back. Friedel is the starting goalie for Blackburn. Beasley is playing for PSV. etc.

20. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Thread Closed