Is It My Imagination or Do We Still Suck?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nancyb, Oct 12, 2003.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. We were looking so good there for a while, but now we seem to be just choking. I'm not blocking off those playoff dates, yet, because this team seems to be showing the potential to blow it in the end.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It is undisputed the Columbus sucks.
    Their record in the last ten games is 3-4-3.
    Our record in the last ten games is the barely better 4-4-2.

Makes you wonder.

3. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Even moreso, since Olsen went down we're 0-2-2 in all competitions.

See ursula's post on the signifigance of missing Olsen in a masterful post.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We Lost in OT = Hardly Time to Panic

On the bright side...

If the league wasn't so retarded about OT we would have wrapped this sucker up a long time ago. When teams tie they tie, its about time the league accepted this. (i am not whining either NE deserves their three...) But the point is there was as much drama in Bolivia scoring the winning goal at the 90 minute mark as there would have been in them scoring in some contrived OT. Our team played their hearts out as usual this Saturday.

Teams also naturally go through streaks throughout a season. I am a bit worried that we "peaked" early, but hey you can always get hot in the playoffs.... (And if we dont? Well how many of us thought we would even see the playoffs earlier this year anyway.)

When we dont see the effort, that's when I get scared.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: We Lost in OT = Hardly Time to Panic

It's not the league's fault we didn't score at all last night.

Please, can we just admit that we sucked instead of making a bunch of excuses?

6. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    We do suck. When Olsen was getting going and Stewart and Cerritos were working togethter, it appeared we would rise out of suckitude. We have not. We may make the playoffs. We may even advance in the playoffs. But we will still suck.

7. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    We suck.

And overtime sucks.

And we suck at overtime.

All of these statements are true.

8. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Exactly what was the point of this thread then? We just get to agree with you?

Ok then. You guys win... we suck.

--better? :D

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:p

I don't know if we suck in a global, overarching sense (though I suspect we do). I do know, however, that we sucked big hairy ones last night.

Or maybe I'm just bitter.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    It seems pretty obvious to me that there is a fine line between improved play and "we suck"..

Don't ya love fans?

What have ya done for me lately?

That about sums up the United fan base...

I aplogize in advance at my bitterness but it only seems like two weeks ago that we were singing this teams praises over the tactical supremecy that Hudson showed over the vaunted Bob Bradley in Giants Stadium..

At times we do suck.. I will concede that point, but this is MLS where every teams sucks every once in a while..

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Welcome to the real world of being a fan of a professional sports team. We're way more patient than our counterparts around the world.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    OK, Chris:

-"Every team sucks once in a while?" We've sucked since the 2000 season, buddy. How about the fact that the only way we are getting into the playoffs- maybe- is because 80% of the teams make the playoffs and we will be the last.

- "Tactical supremacy over Bradley"? How about with Olsen in our lineup we were able to attack the metros goal and that since Olsen went down, we rely on Etch flopping in the box. We were the better team in the meadowlands but our quality was very dependent on one player and Bradley has shown since that the metros have a variety of sources to draw inspiration from. They sure ain't a great team, but the 2003 metros are sure better than the 2003 DC United because they can adjust to adversity.

-Don't ya love fans?

What have ya done for me lately?

Oh come on Chris. We've got posters who say that the players are warriors and who think we'll put three goals past the Cows... We love this team- or I guess the noise you hear at RFK all the time are the cascade of boos...

13. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    If suckitude is something one can have, we have it in abundance.

14. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I thought that there were various degrees of suckitude?

15. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    At times, we have been sucktacular.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    especially overtimes ;)
    lol, I love this word, I used with a WAY different meaning about an hour after the game on Saturday :-O

17. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Relax Skip...

I did preface my comments by apolgizing for sounding a little bitter..

As for the above reference, I was reffering to this season in general, not the past 4 seasons which I whole heartedly agree that we sucked..

This season is miles ahead of 2000-2002 and if we would go back to last seasons playoff scenario's, we would have qualified by now and not be the last team to make..

I guess it's all in how you look at things..

For the most part, this team has made the requisite improvement it needed to make a playoff push..

18. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Amen! I've seen sucky, and this is not sucky. We may not be worldbeaters- or scumbeaters, for that matter- but we've been upgraded to "not-sucking" which is an improvement over the past few seasons.

Below are a few things that suck:
    1. OT
    2. Injuries to key starters.
    3. Dallas Burn
    4. Muttro Fans
    5. the Meadowlands
    6. Cletus's hair
    7. Andrulis
    8. Andurlis' Team when he coaches them
    9. Hangovers
    10. Two day Hangovers

So, I rank DC United well above a 2 day hangover, Hudson over Andrulis, and Etch's mullet over Cletus' mohawk. That should pretty much end this discussion.

19. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's not so much that we suck, but that we play one good game, followed by one poor game.

We should do well against the CowPatties on Sunday then bomb against KC.

Sachin

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Guilty as charged. It's my belief that keeps me driving into lot 8 with a great three goal game in mind. It's what keeps me jumping up and down even when we're down 2 goals with minutes left. It's why I stay to the very end of every game in case Convey bags a header in OT to crush the Galaxy. Basically it's my love and passion for the team.

CHICO13....delusional since 2000 :D

21. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but why does our turn in the barrel come just before the playoffs...when we're still not even qualified???

22. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Topo's use of prose w/ the English language is genius. And this is fun, face it. I was jazzed that United had gone from sucking to "we don't suck" The best time for a fan is when one leaves Suckitude, but before the team gets run into the ground. HATE bandwagoners, like when the Lakers got Shaq, everybody likes a winner, and you become unique and special, just like everyone else. Which is worse, to be suckadelic or to be America's Team? MLS seems to have the least bandwagoners,come on nobody like the LA Gals, do they? I would go with suckadelic being the worse. It's like the Red Sox, to a lesser degree, cause we've only sucked 3 years, "GO UNDERDOGS!" But the worst is when you can lose the title of suck, and the only thing between you and the border of Suckonia is the hurt ass New England Rev and you can't score ONE GOAL? Makes me think we suck.

23. the Nuge

the Nuge New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Revs are 4-0-1 over the past month or so and are defending Eastern Conf Champs. Hard to say they suck, even with the injuries. How the Burn... they truly suck. They've done a fantastic job of wrenching the Suckadelic trophy from DC Utd.

BTW, IMO, no, sucking is not fun. I'd rather be 9th than 10th in a 10 team league, if for miniscule bragging rights only. Call me vain, but what the hell.

24. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    You're right, but to be in the transition form "not-sucking" to actually being good is. It justifys being a fan. And good isn't just barley squeaking into the playoffs, it's authoritvley (real word?) winning the last few regular season games, no pk's, no 0 to 0 ties. Score some fvcking goals. And when only 2 teams don't get in the playoff the difference between 9th and 10th is insignificant, those 2 teams suck.