Is it acceptable to have an upside down flag as an avatar?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Grizzly, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal
    The member HighburyForever is currently using an upside down Canadian flag as his avatar. The moderators of the US forum recently removed a post from another member criticizing this. I am pretty sure that if I were to use an upside down American flag as my avatar I would be quickly banned from the forum. Why should this be acceptable for the flags of other countries?

2. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Let the poster know how you feel about it by either a PM or a post.And,depending on his/her response,PM one of the supermods.It seems to me to be an attempt at a juvenile insult but the intention has to be clarified before asking for any action.

3. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

A post was made asking what was the deal with the avatar. The post asking the question was removed. Obviously a moderator thought the question far more offensive than the avatar.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't you PM the moderator of that forum to find out why it was done, and bring your complaint to that person?

5. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Why don't you PM the mod?The mod may not be aware of how offensive that can be...

Also the poster himself may have missed the post if it was deleted quickly.

Sorry about saying "why don't you do this and that".I don't even know where all that happened although I'd imagine the poster (American) chose the avatar because of the Gold Cup.

edit:eek:ops,double post...after you,soccernutter

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell is an upside down flag NOT acceptable as an avatar????

:confused:

7. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Umm...because it was done by an American supporters to wind up Canadian supporters during the Gold Cup?

I personally never cared about how the flag of my country is treated-not because no one would notice if it's upside down or not:D [​IMG]

-but some people do care about such things just like some people care about if their national anthems receive enough respect.

8. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is an upside down flag a wind up? That's a pretty dumb thing to get upset about.

9. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you turn our flag around, you get the old Yugoslavia flag

10. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Yeah,you are a smart guy so why can't you leave it to people who are upset and the poster who's responsible?

I explained,although I'm not 100% sure of it,of the context and I agree that I wouldn't get upset by it but you should know that it could work as a wind-up to some people

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you turn Monaco's flag upside down, you get Poland's. And vice versa.

:D

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is terrifically funny. I will henceforth always turn Japan's flag upside down in your honor.

13. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Montreal
    An upside down flag is obviously an attempt to insult and show disrespect to a nation. It doesn't really upset me because I think such things reflect the character of the person who does them. However, the fact I am not upset does not mean that I think it is right or that I won't defend the flag of my country against people who want to denigrate it. Insulting and disrespectful behaviour is against the rules of the forum and is the reason we have moderators. The reason for this limitation of free speech on the board is the interest of having a properly functioning forum that deals with issues instead of people just insulting each other. If I were to do likewise to the American flag we would probably have hundreds of posters complaining to the moderators to get me banned. There is no reason that one rule should apply to one country and another to another country.

I have written a PM to HighburyForever about this issue.

14. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Guys, I apologize if I offended anyone. I originally did it as a joke from the 1992/93? World Series between the Blue Jays and Braves when some stupid US National Guard troop hung a Canadian flag upside down.

I guess nobody got the joke...sorry :)

And thanks for the negative rep "Daniel From Montreal" whoever the hell you are: Go get a sense of humor

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, just one oversensitive Canadian - who should've PM'd you directly before starting threads - didn't get it.

16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serbia-Montenegro played the Netherlands in the 2006 World Cup.

[​IMG] vs [​IMG]

If you're supporting one team in that game, you wouldn't want to raise your 50'x50' flag upside down in that one! ("AHHH!!! CRAP! We raised their flag, not ours!")

And considering some of the stuff i've seen as avatars, an upside down flag isn't really all that bad.

17. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    *runs off to post in the US forums*

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Which I applaud.

While some American - quite vigorously and sometimes physically - "defend the flag", just as many others "defend the freedom to display the flag upside down".

If you want to burn and American flag, I won't stop you. I won't hand you the lighter, but everyone is entitled to their opinion and their ability to express it.

If only Canadians were so enlightened. ;)

Hmmmm, that reminds me:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377231

19. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I just want to see how many complaints I can gather and if anything is done about it.

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Change to an upside down Argentina flag. I'm sure you'll get a reaction. :D

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I like how they think Public Enemy is a "disco band"

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are anxiously awaiting the response

from dk to say to take the WR stuff to WR.

I'm pretty some American fans had that as their avatar after the WC last year.

24. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Well I would have posted but I couldn't find any threads that I could contribute too and I don't really want to troll for the sake of seeing if I can piss people off

25. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    1 neg rep so far from a Mr MountainHawk 30 year old male from Salem, MA.

His comment was "Avatar just trying to cause trouble" from a post in this very thread. Obviously Mr Hawk doesn't read threads before neg repping.