Is Hillary Clinton Running in 2004?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Awe-Inspiring, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    If Hillary can run against someone whose campaign was based on not being Hillary in New York and only win by 12% (or thereabouts), do you really think she will win swing states and convince independents with brains? She really has no experience and has plenty of reasons to be hated. If she could ever get elected it would be in 2004, but I still don't think it would ever happen.

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    And who was drafted into the race by the GOP after the initial candidate (who would've smacked Hillary around like Gazza hopped up on speed) had to drop out what, a month and a half before the election?

3. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    It's completely unclear whether Hillary would beat the Republican nominee. For one thing, I bet that if there were a "scientific poll" taken in which she were pitted against Frist, McCain or Powell, she would be no less than 10 percentage-points below any of them.

I think what you guys want to say is that you don't think Hillary should be President. And maybe that is the more important kind of issue to discuss. Discussing that kind of question tends to do more to improve critical-thinking skills. It also seems to help us more in terms of resolving our most pressing problems.

4. needs

needs Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Timothy Noah's run a two-part article in Slate about this Republican groundswell for Hillary's nomination.

He thinks Hillary's about the only figure that unites a Republican Party that's increasingly polarized between neocons, supply-siders, libertarians, the religious right, etc. The supply-siders are afraid the neocons' war will make tax cuts go away, the libertarians are afraid that Ashcroft will take away their civil liberties and privacy rights.

Republican columnists, pollsters, etc. long for the days when they could just throw bombs at the Clintons and have everyone join in. Now people like Ted Olson have real jobs and have to act at least somewhat responsible.

Seems to explain why the only people you hear talking about Hillary are Republicans or 'independents.'

http://slate.msn.com/id/2088820/

5. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    So why won't you vote for Al Sharpton?

He's cute, but irrelevant?

Besides, if you don't already know, Bill Clinton was the first USA black president. Geesh, read a newspaper once in a while.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sounds like Schwarzenegger. Pro-choice, pro-immigrant, pro-steroids.....er....education. Now take these centrist views and place them on a candidate with Coli's background and EITHER party would be stupid not to have him on their side.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Neither party's going to nominate a black man. Not in the near future anyway.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You just made Doug Wilder cry. ;)

But then I realized -- we're talking about race.

Given that I could find out the truth in a minute, I probably shouldn't do this, but...

I think Ford is under 40. So even without any changes in geriatrics, he could be a viable candidate 10 years after Freddy Adu has retired from soccer.

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    IIRC, sup is married to a Nubian Queen, right?

So, would it be hard for a white guy to be elected president with a black wife?

So, I guess the question would be:

Will the USA see the first black First Lady or President?

Let's not forget the whole "shade" issue. There exists a "darker is worse" ideal in some black communities, so would the USA in general like a rather white black, like Powell who speaks Yiddish btw, over say a Wesley Snipes type?

If Miss America has not only gotten past the black thing, they are selecting even the dark ones, why can't the population get on with it in the general election? :)

10. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I'm sure Heidi Fleiss will be Miss America next year.

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why do you keep repeating this? It makes no sense whatsoever. McCain wasn't spurned because he was too liberal, he was spurned (in part) because he was less conservative than Bush. People to the right of McCain have lost in Republican primaries as well, you know.

12. Decent Guy

Decent Guy New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Outside NY
    Whoa, read the whole post, I agree with you.

Hillary should not, and if there is a God will not, be President.

13. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    That's true. My point isn't that his chance has to come in 2008, '12, or even '24. My point is that if he just stays in an elected position he won't get the "street cred" that Condi and Powell have gotten as being a capable person. My comment is on the bias of the electorate, and how to defeat that, not the present political positioning. Given my theory, Powell is more likely than Ford, regardless of the accuracy of your timing theories.

(P.S., yeah the above is off the original topic, but Slate and needs have already nipped the Hillary thing in the bud, so no further point talking about it, except to marvel at dittoheads.)

14. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting question, since Dukakis was hurt by having a Jewish wife, and Kerry's wife was born in Africa. Do you think that will have any bearing on Kerry's campaign?

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I know, I was just emphasizing the point!

16. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    But the question remains, will she run?

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    You're all wrong....It'll be Hillary vs. Jeb Bush in 2008.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Hillary vs. Rudy Giuliani. The re-match of the NY Senate race that never happened. This time Rudy's rested, re-married and ready to slay the Incubus.

19. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Jeb won't admit to it but i think you're right.