is Guevara here yet?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by AngelN, Apr 17, 2003.

1. AngelN

AngelN New Member

Oct 14, 1999
  2. AngelN

AngelN New Member

Oct 14, 1999
  3. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Hristo Stoitchkov and Jerzy Podbrozny both started for the Fire after arriving just days before their debuts. That's a pretty good indication of Bob's approach, to run them out there when they get off the plane. So it would seem the chance that Guevara will not only play, but start, is pretty good.

By the way, both Hristo and Podbrozny scored on their debuts.

4. AngelN

AngelN New Member

Oct 14, 1999
  5. krause9

krause9 New Member

Mar 6, 2003
  6. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Roman Kosecki, not Jerry Podbrozny, scored in his debut...first goal in Fire history...Kosecki showed up on a Friday in Lauderdale, started on a Saturday vs. Fusion and scored the first goal in Chicago history, a game-winner over Cacho Cordoba's Fusion. When Podbrozny showed up, the Fire went into a five-game tailspin and it looked like he might be shipped out...then he was switched to midfield and found his niche. Hristo scored twice in his first game for the Fire, at Dallas in 2000 (in a loss), after practicing one day with the team.

So Haig's right, good chance Guevara's thrown right into the mix.

7. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see Le Blank at midfield who's been practicing the whole time or Geuvera right off the plane?? yeah, I 'd play geuvera if he shows up in a cast on his leg and had not slept in a week.

8. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    So you're sure it's LeBlanc and not Magee who will be sent to the bench?

That would mean:
    (1.) 4-4-2: Howard, Ziadie, Pope, Jolley, Digi, Rico, Richie, Guevara, Clint, Jaime, Magee.

Or if it's Magee to the bench:

(2.) 4-4-2: Howard, Ziadie, Pope, Jolley, Digi, Rico, Richie, Guevara, LeBlanc, Jaime, Mathis.

Or, maybe we'll see Chris Leitch for LeBlanc.

My money's on Lineup No. 1.

9. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this the best we got ?

10. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Oops, sorry, forgot about Owen, Rivaldo and Zidane. They'll probably start, but I hear that Matteo has had a good week of training, so Zidane could stay on the pine another week.

Here's an idea. Let's start a whole new thread about just how bad you thought every single player on the field was last week...and how embarrassing it is that we don't have "first division" players like Brian Dunseth, Alejandro Moreno, Zak Ibsen and Mario Gori on the field.

This is MLS.

We've got a US national team keeper. On the backline, we've got a Jamaican national team player (Ziadie), a U.S. national team fixture (Pope), and MLS All-Star (Jolley), a U.S. Olympic team player (Digi). In the midfield, another MLS All-Star and capped player (Williams), and under-20 player (Ricardo), Honduras' captain (Guevara) and another U.S. national team player (Mathis). Up front, an MLS All-Star who's played a bunch for Bolivia (Moreno) and another under-20 player (Magee).

I hope, like you hope, we get a couple more pieces to lighten the load on Magee and LeBlanc, but this is basically the way most MLS teams are composed.

11. mscheffel

mscheffel New Member

Jul 29, 1999
    NJ, US
    When you put it this way, there is absolutley no reason we aren't the among the best teams in the league. It's gonna be a shakey start, but I can't wait to see the mid-season Metros.

12. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    Don't get me wrong, bro, I'm not saying we're great, not by any stretch. But this notion that an MLS team can have big-time guys at every position is just dumb. The MetroStars need the Big Five (Howard, Pope, Guevara, Mathis, Moreno) to come up big and make the plays. The other guys are role players. The biggest question for me is, are the MetroStars too top-heavy and bottom-light? Would we be better off with more mid-level guys? The answer to that question comes in the next seven months.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Moreno and Mathis consistently score will be critical for this team. If they do we will be fine. If they don't then we will probably be mediocre. This to me will be determine our season for the most part on wheter we will be good team or average MLS team. No matter how good a coach Bradley is the big players have to play big.

14. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much seen the team and our players perform, less the rookies but for the last game,Yuck. My only hope is this new player Guevara to be the impact player the link from defense to the forwards that we so badly need. Someone with speed, skill and vision . I never seen him play, I just hope he is as good on the field as i hear that he is from reports. At this point I am pretty depressed and on Saturday I am bringing someone to the Game who's here on visit from Europe, to show him MY TEAM. I hope they play well.

15. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some people seem to think it possible, but I would be stunned if Bradley really pushed Mathis out of position to make room for MAGEE in the starting lineup. Maybe LeBlanc is so bad that any means necessary are required to get him off the field, but I just can't imagine acquiring a playmaker like Guevara when you have two elite forwards like Mathis and Moreno, then screwing up the whole works by shoehorning your roster into some squirrelly 3-4-3 formation, neutralizing everyone's strengths.

It's not even my team, but I really enjoy Mathis's game, and I'm just sick of seeing him played out of position again and again and again.

16. Vistula

Vistula New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Garfield
    You clearly have not paid attention to Mathis if you think he's a true front-runner. At his best, he's a withdrawn forward, who is way better when he comes into the attack from behind the ball than when he's asked to stay high. Out of position as twin-playmaker with Guevara? I doubt it. Even if he plays forward, he's going to be playing behind Jaime a lot.

17. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Do you remember 9/1/01 in RFK? I do because I was there. Guevara was the guy who dissected the US backline. His finishing though was atrocious. Trust me, this guy's got game.

18. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bradley has been saying all along he plan to play

3-5-2

so someone come up with that line-up !!!

19. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    ................Howard.............
    ....Ziadie......Pope......Jolley..
    ........Williams.........Clark......
    .........(?)................Digi......
    ...............Guevara.............
    ........Moreno.....Mathis........

Good line-up, just need a right wing. LeBlanc?

20. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have to agree with Vistula on this. 5 guys are making most of the money on your team. That means (cap-wise) the rest of the team are bargains. Doesn't mean you can't get good play from bargains--you can. But its unreasonable to take 13-17 guys (basically the rest of the roster), all of whom (other than Jolley) make very little money or are cap exempt (the P-40 players) and expect them to be "difference makers". Their role is to be...well...role players. Clark is a rarity in that regard--a rookie who looks good from the git-go and can be more than a role-player. LeBlanc, Magee (and even guys like Ziadie and Lisi and Regan) still have a lot of growing to do as players. Doesn't mean they're bad or they can't contribute. But I don't think Bradley is asking them to carry the team--he's put his money on the 5 guys who've already got track records in that regard (being difference makers).

21. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    ................Howard.............
    ....Regan......Pope......Jolley..
    ........Williams.........Clark......
    .........Ziaide................Digi......
    ...............Guevara.............
    ........Moreno.....Mathis........

22. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where is Joe Ado is he injured ?

also from www.metrostars.com

"MetroStars newly acquired Honduran midfielder Amado Guevara will report to his first training session tomorrow, April 18 on the main field at Giants Stadium for a closed practice. The dynamic midfield engine will be available to MetroStars.com following practice for an interview. Check here for a complete report."

23. Metrophenomenal

Metrophenomenal New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Seoul+NJ
    addo? he just sucks.
    if regan is ready id also like to see him start and push Zaide up to replace LeBlanc

24. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Atrocious??? Only guy I've seen in two WC qualifying campaigns that notched a brace against the US defense.

I'd say his finishing is Dead Eye Dan.

25. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't care if he's a "true" forward, a "withdrawn" forward, or if he's "going to be playing behind Jaime a lot." As long as he's one of two forwards in a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 formation, and not being wasted in midfield, I'll be happy.

Anyone who's "paid attention" to Mathis has noted that when playing up top, he scores goals by the boatload, and that when playing in midfield, he does not.