Is Gerrard the best midfielder in the EPL ?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Johnlong, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to severly disagree with you about ballack, he is complete as it gets, attacking, defending, creativity, passing, and has a good aerial game as well. Also, nedved started his career as a winger, but moved to a central role, and has been better than any midfielder in the world for a 2-3 year run, culminating in his euro footballer award. i agree about viera though.

2. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd have to agree.

Michael Ballack is the most complete midfielder both ways as he can play both defensive and attacking midfielder flawlessly!

Pavel Nedved is more attack minded but certainly not as great as other defensively not that he is a slouch either!

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ballack is capable as both an attacking and a defensive midfielder, but he's not as good

4. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    there was plenty top class players who didn't have a very good euro 2004 , greece a footballing minnow won it ,I still wouldn't say they are the best team in europe or that they have better individual players than the likes of england ,italy ,spain etc. Gerrard was phenomenal for liverpool last season and don't take it from me take it from the other premiership managers, if you had seen his performances in the latter part of the season theres now way you could lampard is better.

5. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    take off your red blinders, like i said Player of the year voting:
    1.henry
    2.lampard
    3.gerrard

6. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    take off your own blinkers ,the player of the year nominations had to handed in before christmas when lampard was playing particualry well ,gerrard's best performances came after christmas theres no surprise that lampard was above him ,if the nominations had to be handed in at the end of the season ,gerrard would have been above lampard.

7. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    I have Gerrard on my fantasy team with Lampard and Wright-Phillips.What I have seen of Lampard of late? He is amazingly steadfast and accurate. He has to be hands down the best Middie this year. He has done everything anyone could ever want from the MId. spot. He passes well from all three sides of his foot, scores works all over inspires others. Gerrard has just come back from injury right? lets wait and see. He is the man I must say and thats why England should Win something soon, if not for Errickson.

8. soccer365-old

soccer365-old New Member

Jul 18, 2000
    Sony Pictures CA
    When your team finishes fourth you are never going to get the Player of the Year award!!! I don't care how good you are.

9. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    My vote goes to Drogba for looking like a tranny and Robben for running like a fairy.

10. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you certainly wouldnt want to give it to anyone from that crappy fouth place team.

11. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not as good? the guy singlehandedly lead an average german side to the world cup final, in which they fell apart when he couldnt play the final game. i have much much respect for gerrard, he is amazing, and id love for him to be in our side anyday, but i think ballack is a more complete player, of course it is hard for you to see this being a pool fan.

12. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats a crock of ******** it is for the entire season, and its a players vote.

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Charges of bias are cheap.

Ballack did not "single-handedly" take the German side anywhere. For one,their route to the final was facile beyond belief. For a second, Ballack's impact on the games he played was only made possible by the work Didi Hamann did in the shielding role int he centre of midfield. Additionally, they had Ziege out wide to put the crosses in for carthorses like Janker and Klose to finish. It's no coincidence that Ziege had more assists in that campaign than any other player, Ballack included. And finally, there is a reason why Oliver Kahn was voted the Goalkeeper of the Tournament.

So enough with the hyperbole. Ballack is a fine player and you're right, he is an incredibly balanced talent, being effective in both a defensive and an offensive role. But he is not as talented as Gerrard in either of those skill sets.

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, it's not. The Player's Player of the Season vote is conducted in January.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, but look what happened for the one game where Ballack was out - Germany looked a shade of their former selves. I think Ballack and Gerrard are very comparable players; Ballack is better at actually scoring, whereas I think Gerrard's passing is a bit better. Neither is a true defensive midfielder, as Bayern discovered when they foolishly tried to play Ballack there. Due to that mistake and the German national team's general ineptness the last several years, Ballack's gone missing a bit.
    I don't recall who brought up Nedved, but he's not a winger; he definitely plays in the center now. While I actually think he's been the best player in Europe over the past 3 seasons, he's not a "complete" midfielder if we're going to take attacking and defending into account. He doesn't really defend well, he's not asked to do it, and while I don't think it hurts his game, comparing him to Gerrard is foolish.

As for the current argument - it depends on whom you like. I've always thought Vieira lacked the offensive game that any of Keane, Lampard or Gerrard have; he doesn't create anything. He will take his chances well, but nearly all of his goals come from runs into the box and passes being played to him. In that sense, he's a true defensive midfielder who will occasionally burst into the box. And really, when was the last time he scored off a shot from the edge of the box? I don't recall ever seeing him do that (not that I'm saying he's never done it :rolleyes:). Also, for someone so imposing and powerful, why he scores so few goals off set pieces is strange, to say the least.
    I do think Gerrard and Lampard are the two best players in the EPL now; I think its very hard for me as a Chelsea fan to separate them. I might say that Gerrard has a bit more natural talent, but I think Lampard is a smarter player at this point in their careers. He (much like Robben) is a player that will rarely do anything extra that's not necessary. He plays within himself, a skill that I wish Joe Cole would learn at some point in his career.

16. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Paul Scholes.

17. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    absolutely cooked cabbage.

18. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    shut up chav bastard, have you seen him in the last few game AV U FCUK. He was crap for Ingurland. When Paul Scholes is on his game there is no one better.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Has no business in this thread, given his "tackling" skills.

20. cumonref

cumonref New Member

He certainly excites me the most, I would say that Gerrard and Vierra at their very best would be too hard to call, I would love to see them both in a U.S. shirt thats for sure!

21. Acronym

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Yea that part is laugable. If I had to choose umm would be hard I like Lampard, but I think maybe Gerrard is more maveric. Scholes is awesome at shooting and popping up at the right time.

22. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Excellent point, Pavel Nedved is a dominating player but he isn't as much as a box-to-box player as Ballack, Lampard, Gerrard, etc!

Pavel nedved isn't as good defensively as the rest, but he is the best of the bunch going forward!
    Again i vote FRANK LAMPARD, Steven Gerrard comes a close second now (DID U SEE THAT GOAL TODAY!) and Michael Ballack!

Daniele De Rossi is an up and comer though!

23. liverbird04

liverbird04 New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    "Liverpool's winner was a very good goal scored by a quality player who is one of the best players around Europe at the moment. "
    Olympiacos boss Dusan Bajevic

gerrard great again for us ,put liverpool to the last 16 ,I would argue every day of the week that he is a better overall player than lampard .

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    No offense man, but what do you really expect a losing coach to say? "We lost today to a bunch of no hopers and crappy players"? Almost every losing coach talks up the winning team because it makes his own sound better.

25. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ballack continues to get little respect on the bigsoccer boards because of the obvious anti-German bias of most English soccer fans. Ballack is far better than Gerrard, and better than Lampard. Surrounded by mediocre players, and marked closely wherever he has played, he was still the main reason Leverkusen went to the Champions League final and should have won the Bundesliga in 2000, and along with Kahn he single handedly carried a mediocre German side to the finals of the 2002 World Cup. Everywhere he has gone, the team has turned into a winner, even without huge talent, definitely not the case with Gerrard, and Lampard is not the reason Chelsea is as strong as it is now.

Ironically now that he's with Bayern he hasnt reached the same heights as in his Leverkusen days, mainly because not as much is asked of him, but he continues to be the best midfielder in the Bundesliga. Put him at Chelsea and it would be scary what he could achieve with the space he'd get.