Is Garber nuts!? Chivas to operation under different rules...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by American40, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Is Garber nuts!? Chivas to operation under different rules...

;)

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Re: Is Garber nuts!? Chivas to operation under different rules...

doh!, I guess i just always associate Andres Cantor w/ the Cup. You're right, Univision has it until 2006.

But how do you get to 1.5 - 2 million footie Mexicans, out of 5 million? Are like 80% of the new arrivals from the Norther Pacific coast in order to have only 30% of LA Mexicans in the footie demographics? If so, why are there 4 MFL games every weekend (sometimes 3) between Univision and Telemundo? If it takes #s so low to draw such interest from t.v. companies, why doesn't MLS garner a good t.v. deal?

As a linguist, I assure you that the new arrivals have made their mark on the entire region: from the 2nd and 3rd generation chicanos that are picking up Spanish, to the first generation who have maintained it despite being educated in English, to the Anglos who border the contact zones (either living in or near a barrio, working and/or going to school w/ latinos or playing soccer). In my work and in my social life both in LA and San Francisco, I just don't come across that many non-futbol Mexicans. As the "Mexican" flavor progressively marks LA, the de facto regional sport is soccer.

I would say that 1.5-2 mill are NOT footie fans. Bear in mind that just b/c the Super Bowl is the most watched program every year and football is the "national sport", doesn't mean that 285 million Americans are fans of the sport. Half the country doesn't watch the event. Likewise w/ any sport. Just b/c there's about 5 million mexicans from footie country doesn't mean that all 5 million are fans of the sport; but what IS certain is that futbol is by far their most popular sport.

3. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Is Garber nuts!? Chivas to operation under different rules...

I think this is the gist of the disagreement. You're saying that out of the 6 million Mexicans (immigrant and not) 5 million are immigrants within the last generation? That's your number that I think is too high. IMO, the "pocho" contingent is higher, and as I stated before, they're no more likely to be Mexie fans than I am.

I will buy that 80% of recent immigrants could be footy fans, however.

I will agree with this mostly. The three LA natives of Mexican descent around my desk at work are big into the Rock en Espanol scene. They are also huge Laker, Dodger, Raider, and/or 49er fans, but do not really follow the beautiful game.

4. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    new rules: COOL

super dupper! that may be the turning point for the whole league, and others will start making some money.....and guess that after that the big names will play along donovan or Mathis!