Is Futre underrated?

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Joe Martelo, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I was watching some football videos and came across some of Paulo Futre.
    when I was a kid I vaguely remember him, but he's a little before my time.

He seems faster and was just as skilful on the ball as Figo, maybe moreso if anything.
    didn't have the same upper body strength or crossing ability.

but I think in the modern game he would be a lethal forward with his pace and skill.

What are people's thoughts?
    probably one of the most underrated players ever.
    he was European champion with Porto and was a top player for Atletico de Madrid.

it is too bad the Portugal team was weak in his days, his prime was in the dark ages 1986-1996 following the Saltillo incident.

2. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    86C53EBF-68A1-46DF-8A04-21E5AE192AFF.jpeg My all time favourite Portuguese player.
    Watched him make his first time play for Porto and was one of the players when Porto won its 1st European cup 1987, there is one run were he receives the ball down the right runs the line taking people on almost by the corner flag cuts across to pen area take shot across the goal that just misses the far post by 1 inch that would of been goal of the season.
    The year before that he was in the World Cup squad at the Mexico 86 think he was 16 or 17 came on in the 2nd half vs England almost scored on a 1 v 1 with Peter Stilton who just got a hand to the ball that was a beautiful run from half way line.
    He was a beast running with the ball glued to his feet and always at full pelt he was so fast, joined athletico Madrid in one European match he tore manure apart tore them a new hole hahaha think he got 3 or 4 goals in that tie.
    What a shame injuries fvked his career unlucky to be playing during a time were defender s tackled from behind they just took you out no questions asked, if he had been playing now I’m sure he would of won a ballon d’ore maybe 2.
    Read some were that Figo used to watch him play and tried copy him when he was a kid growing up

NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Or and happy 54rh birthday Paulo Futre