Is France the home of high fashion? We'll see...

Discussion in 'France' started by Montréal United, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'm on a spiritual retreat, so all my threads will wait

I'll post more kits next week.

Pratical translation: I'm on vacation at home between jobs with a low speed internet access, so I limit my BigSoccer activities until next week.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck on the new job. When do you start?

3. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Next week... but then it doesn't mean I only post on BigSoccer during working hours (That's in case my future boss is a member :) )

If anyone wants to post a remaining kit, then feel free to go ahead.

4. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I think you've been too harsh with Marseille. Granted, the third kit is utterly disgusting. But they should get points for adding the light blue cross on the home shirt, as that is a reference the old city-state's flag. If St Etienne can get points for a local sponsor, l'OM should get rewarded for that. I really think the home kit is a thing of beauty, except for the red sponsor on the back. The away and third kits really do leave a lot to be desired though.

5. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    yeah, but is this a traditional element of the shirt, have they always had this on?

Want to Nantes next? Allez les canaris! ;)

And btw, everyone knows that Paris is the fashion hub of the world, so of course our shirts reflect this very known fact!

Damn its 2am, i should go to bed....

laters......

6. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Well in the short time that I've been following French football, I've only seen the Khalifa Airways and Neuf kits, neither of which had the cross, so I thought it was a new thing. My bad.

7. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Very very harsh, Panic.

At one point, they had a "gold" away kit which was questionable fashion-wise. Ravanelli, Pires, Duga era. Remember that one ?

iougs-

8. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    I think the only kit that was designed by a well-known fashion designer (Daniel Hechter) is the PSG kit in the mid seventies (See blast from past thread).

Actually, I have no idea but I think I read it somewhere.

You gotta admit the psg kit is nice (the older one with the large big stripe in the middle, not the new one on the side).

There should be a bigger use of the "chevron" like the Bordeaux kit. Those are special.

They should do things like in the NFL or MLB. Play some games with "old" uniforms from historic seasons. That would be a nice touch. I think that's a great idea.

iougs-

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Marseille - but they uniforms the past couple of seasons have been bad.
    ====
    PSG: Damn the one they were wearing in the mid 90's was wicked awesome looking. Very chic. I painted a Subbuteo team to be PSG in fact.

===
    I like the idea of Retro kits. The Man U shirts with the string collar was great looking.

10. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Let me tell you ...

I am not a big fan of the OM kit in general except the BUT one and the MAS D'AUGE one (See blast from past thread).
    Recent kits have been kinda lame. I think the new one is a step in the right direction. I am talking home kits only.

Unfortunately, the sponsor logo is an integral part of the kit, and sometimes the logo looks like it does not belong there.

Case in point: the Pathe' logo on Lyon's kit (See Blast from Past Malbranque's shirt) or the OLA logo for Lens (same thread). That can ruin a shirt no matter what the shirt design is.

iougs-

11. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    There is ONE shirt I really would like to have a picture of:

Lyon shirt from late 70s early 80's which was vertical stripes all around (red-blue and some other color in between). I remember that shirt shocked me but I don't remember how it looked like. I think they had it for only one season.

Maybe Marsi, you have that in your archives ?

iougs-

12. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    There is one other shirt that's kinda "controversial" and that's a Lyon shirt too.

The one with the "69" logo on it. You see it some times on ebay.

iougs-

13. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Sometimes, the sponsor logo is so engraved into the shirt that it's hard to imagine the shirt without that sponsor logo.

Example: Metz and SOLLAC.

iougs-

14. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Am I the only one that likes the Ajaccio home kit ???

[​IMG]

iougs-

15. Marsiglia29

Marsiglia29 New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Breizh,Celtic,Brest
  16. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    I like the away of OGC Nice.

The home kit has stripes that are too narrow. They use to have wider stripes, it looks much better with wider stripes. Also, not a big fan of stripes that stop at the shoulder. They should go around to the back.

The big problem with OGCN is the sponsor. The big yellow RICA LEWIS crappy logo. I think they may have changed sponsors though recently but I am not sure.

http://www.ogcnice.com/Club/index.php

iougs-

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on this one. I like it...sort of Ajaxish, but better.

Very cool. I hope the team does well.

18. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Thanks Marsi for the OL kits. The blue one at the bottom is super nice once you get rid of the ugly LION logo (coupe de France sponsor).

OL used to have 2 horizontal bands (red-blue) at chest level in the 70s. After the chevron style.

iougs-

19. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Ok, just went to that OM site. Unbelievable collection. I would post the famous "gold" shirt but it's way too big. Go to the site and check out the 90-00 shirts.

I think it's fair to say that most OM shirts are ... not too nice.

The blue cross (marseille shield) seemed to have appeared in 2000 for the first time, but it was centered, not on the side like today.

Merci Marsi.

iougs-

20. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    yep.

The red stripe that continues on the shorts is awful. Its looks like a crappy Ajax kit......

Either do it right or not at all.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just need to broaden your mind - accept the longer stripe. Red Stripe - its beer.