Is England a "World Power" in Soccer?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Jtsmith1, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Is England Powerhouse in International Soccer?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2013.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dont get me wrong ..england have had some fine players that would have got in most national teams.. Hoddle gasgcoine, beardsley,barnes etc ..but they didnt really play to their best for england or more like england didnt get the best out of them.. But nowadays english players are not getting the chance to play premiership football because of foreign imports and the fact that managers cant afford to play inexperienced english youngsters because today its all about money and results at all costs..

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lets be honest, he's a bit above average. Has been among the top scorers in the Premier League in a number of seasons, and put up single-season goal tallies that even guys like Aguero, Torres, RVP and Suarez haven't ever reached.

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ Sorry, I meant RvN not RvP. :cautious:

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...Wayne Rooney is easily as 'technically gifted' as any of the players you mention...

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes maybe i was a little unfair to rooney..but i was talking about his england career and lets be honest he hasnt been great for the national team..

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Suarez is indeed a better FW then Rooney now ...

Rooney had two best seasons 10 and 12 with 26/32 and 27/34 respectively
    Suarez's last two seasons: 23/33 and 28/25 now so far ...
    Van Persie bests two seasons 30/38 (arsenal 12) and last season 26/38

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ..Wayne Rooney is WAY more 'versatile' than either of them...

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    NOT REALLY, For your INFO:

Van Persie was playing in MORE different positions (from Arsenal to ManU to Netherland) then Rooney ever did
    Luis Suarez was playing as wide FW (NT), 2nd striker and sometimes main striker (for Liverpool)
    Rooney was playing mostly as 2nd striker, and few games (tested) as CAM

9. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am not calling rooney a bad player - he has talent he's a very good player and he always has been. But he is not worth the hype he gets from the media. But he is no world beater.. When he first came on the scene he was fantastic and to me he was better then than he is now. He used to beat defenders and burst through defences but now you hardly see him do it at all.. He is a really good passer of a ball short and long and to me he is more like a midfielder these days. He works hard and chases and now and then scores a cracking goal.. So yes you could say he is more adaptable than suarez.. But suarez is on another level in terms of attacking ability. I dont particularly like suarez - hes a born cheat - but as a footballer hes a joy to watch this season. I have nothing against rooney. I hope he proves me wrong and finally shows his ability at the world cup. Great players do it on the greatest stages and rooney did it at euro 2004 but that was 10 years ago. Remember him bursting past thuram ? That side of his game disappeared.. Calling him average was unfair of me but rooney cant terrorize a defence like suarez or aguero do.. And silva hazard cazorla etc are all better than rooney for technique and creativity.. I just think he is hyped up far too much by the media..

JamesBH11 repped this.
  10. John Farad

John Farad New Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    England is always among the world power in Football. They had some up and down moments but less than others.
    FC EDMONTON

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Rooney is indeed a very good player and rare talent that English football had produced since many years.
    However, he is no where close to the so called "World beater" like you said ... a la Romario, Ronaldo Basten Ronaldinho rivaldo Kaka ... or lately Messi CR7 ... type *in term of Forwards... of last 2 decades
    Now lower a bit in talent scale ... I am not too sure if he is even same calibre as Henry, Zola, Batistuta Sheva Bebto, Carreca ..
    Rooney was surely a worldclass player in his best years no doubt, but no more no less ... not a great stars nor a "rare talent" that the English media love to describe him ...

12. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Didn't Cho Jae-Jin perform a sombrero on Thuram in 2006?

13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England have wasted the chance of fielding better teams in the past.. For example in the 80s.. Shilton stevens butcher wright sansom robson wilkins hoddle barnes beardsley lineker.. We never give the chance to let a team get used to playing with each other or build a team around the flair players

14. 4-3-3

4-3-3 Member

Jan 6, 2006
    England is NOT a power house in soccer

a second tier at most !!!

The football power house are: Brazil, Italy , Germany and Argentina.

followed bt the 2nd tier
    Uruguay, France Holland, Spain and England

15. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Erm you are actually wrong...

Rooney is more versatile than Suarez and Van Persie. Also... being a Versatile player also means being able to play in certain positions to a high standard, you could play Van Persie at CB, that doesn't mean he's a CB, or even a good CB.

Rooney gets put out wide, he tracks back too, can play off the striker, or as a forward...and that's where he gets used. And a player like Rooney could easily play as a Central Midfielder, or even as a Full Back if really needed, a Manager would never think of doing that with Van Persie.

16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a 'world power' like Germany, Spain, Brazil etc.. but in terms of all of the countries in the world, to be consistently in the top 10 out of 200+ countries (albeit most of them suck) means that we are among the traditional better teams in the world.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    rightly so ... that's the most common agreement of the term "world power country" in Football

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    NO

I talked fact and you talked of your SPECULATION.

In their career, both Suarez and Persie were used in MORE different positions then Rooney ever played PERIOD.

You can argue that as SS position (90% of Rooney position) Rooney was betetr then Van Persie ... and that's a different story.

19. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First of all...stop typing in caps, it doesn't make your point any more valid lol

Back up your post with evidence? I believe maybe Suarez has played in more positions than Rooney (not that, that makes him more versatile), but certainly not Van Persie.

And you haven't posted facts at all, your posting utter drivel. Van Persie pretty much plays every game as a Striker, and on very rare occasions Van Persie has played as a wide man for the Netherlands (Robbens position).

And as explained...you can play a player anywhere, that doesn't make a player any more versatile, a player has to play to a high standard in other positions to be considered Versatile. Wayne Rooney is far more of a complete footballer than Van Persie, he's stronger and more combative and has a better engine allowing him to play much deeper roles, also making him by far more Versatile.

england66 repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    My point is always valid CAP on or not.
    It's your ridiculous (words) that did NOT prove anything (but words of your own) that Rooney was more versatile.

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    many many can come up and say the same (invalid claim)
    " I believe Theo Walcott is very versatile or more so than Rooney" ????
    "I believe Dzeko is very versatile or more so than Suarez" ????
    ... pure opinion and no POINT to conclude

22. Kev THFC

Kev THFC Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Northants
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course it's an opinion, and you of all people certainly don't need to try and teach me the difference between an opinion, and a fact. I could go on and post that Lee Tomlin is a better Striker than Luis Suarez, it's an opinion, but I'm going to get laughed at if I make such a stupid claim.

Seriously...what makes your opinion so right then? you're claiming Van Persie is more versatile. You ask most Arsenal fans, or, Manchester United fans and I would guarantee the majority would say that Rooney is the more versatile player.

In many of your posts you seem to have this habit of posting that everything you post is a fact, when in FACT (sorry had to do the CAPS) it isn't.

You seem to have this weird logic that the more positions you decide to play a player, that then makes them more versatile, which is nonsense, that's basically your argument.

So if Moyes went on a mad one over the next month and decided to see how De Gea plays at every position, regardless of how well he played in those positions...would that automatically make him Uniteds most versatile player? please reply to that question.

But you're wrong anyway...Rooney has played in more positions than Van Persie.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    OK read well ...
    Some quickly said "Rooney was surely more versatile then Suarez or Van Persie"
    I only presented facts that it may not be true nor it will be a clear thing to say: both Van Persie and Suarez were used in more different positions then Rooney and they did well in all cases.

I also said, It's not that they are better or more versatile then Rooney, but they all are ..
    If one will "think" Rooney is more versatile, then it's "FINE" with their own opinion, but less fact to back it up.

Thats' all ...

24. David Connolly

Apr 1, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Damn those tabloids.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ....why don't you 'back up' your statement by furnishing us with the games/dates/opponents where Suarez and Van Persie played in all these different positions...??