Is Detroit about to get a USL Pro team?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by Alistair Fannell, Sep 6, 2013.

1. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FWIW, the Bucks have moved north to Flint. Possibly a good move for them. Atwood Stadium is a decent old venue.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five years later, Detroit is still not about to get a USL Pro team.

hipityhop repped this.
  3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------
    This will be incredibly interesting to see how much leeway the USL-C gives this community developed and operated team. I hope they have their costs/financials set as lot more traveling. Closest USL-C team looks like Indy, followed by Louisville and Pittsburgh. But at least USL-C has a lot of East Coast teams and southern central teams, so should have have to be flying out to Tacoma and San Diego very often I would think. Another positive if more flying has to been done, at least Detroit is a large hub for Delta and even Spirit and you should be able to get everywhere non-stop or fairly easy.

The league and team have to keep open lines of communication with the supporters, they have to stay tight with the community with the youth programs and events already established. Few upgrades to the stadium, and maybe you have to add a few new players to the mix . It will really be interesting how they compete on the field as I see this as a big jump, I thought maybe USL-1 might have been a better place to start, give that a run, then move up again.