Is Dc United America's Team?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Peretz48, Nov 7, 2004.

1. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Yeah, where I live in Southern PA is really more closely tied with Balto. and Wash. than Philly (Wash. is about 1/2 hr closer than Philly). We get Comcast DC on our cable. And, of course, Olsen and Gros are from Harrisburg.

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC matches come on CSN Philly. Just not as many as on CSN Balto/Wash.

3. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    This from someone too cowardly to show which team he supports. You'll see meaningful this Sunday. And rest assured, we WILL talk about it.

4. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    I really don't care if United is America's team or not.
    I DO know they are the team I support, and that's good enough for me.

Mark

Vamos United!!!!
    PS If G-Man says they are cool, then yall gotta know they ARE cool!

5. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia
    Actually and in fact, DC United *is* America's Soccer Team. After DCU won their most recent MLS Cup in 1999, there was a rally (it was awesome!) at Freedom Park in Washington DC for the team. One of the speakers was Eleanor Holmes Norton, Washington DC's delegate in the US House of Representatives. She announced at the rally that she sponsored and got passed a Congressional Resolution pronouncing DC United as "America's Soccer Team".

If that doesn't make us America's Team, what does? :)

6. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Well, she should have done something useful.

Like prevent that convoluted Lassiter for Albright deal.

7. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    The Toronto Maple Leafs.

8. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    I don't think any soccer team can clame that title. I think that even though the Galaxy have only won it once and love to self destruct at the final hour, I would have to say that if anyone comes close, it's LA and DC both. Everyone i've ever brought up the topic with who knows virtually knows nothing about soccer mentions either DC United or the Galaxy.(mainly due to Cobi Jones and Freddy Adu.)

9. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    alomst forgot........although I'll be in the stands Sunday miserable over the Galaxy blowing it...again, I'll be rooting for Moreno andf the rest of the gang to whoop some serious A S S on the most boring and soon to be dismantled team in MLS..The PIzzards.

10. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    All I know is that they're MY team. And that's all that really matters.

Sachin

11. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen brother! I need to spread some rep around.

12. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    But if it's sponsored by a fake congressperson does it count? I think we need a Constitutional amendment to make sure. We don't want any activist judges striking down the congressional resolution leaving the question of "America's Team" in turmoil. It's bad for Amurrica.

"DCU - Stay the Course!" :)

13. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SInce we're on the topic, if we're America's team, why doesn't AEG focus more resources and attention on us. Clearly we are the most successful, best-supported club in the league but yet there were rumors not too long ago about a sale of the franchise? What's up with that? Also, why no SSS? I was in RFK last Saturday and the atmosphere was incredible. But being from So. Florida and familiar with Lockhart (which is a glorified football field but still closer to a SSS than RFK IMO), I couldn't help but think that the atmosphere would be even better if supporters were closer to the field in a more intimate stadium.

Sorry for the random thoughts but if anyone can explain this, or correct me, I'd appreciate it.

14. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

That's true and it washes over us in Baltimore on the way up.
    Something like this but a bit mroe spread out.

[​IMG]

15. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Sure it would be nicer to be closer to the field and it would be nice if RFK were not quite as large, but it is a great stadium for soccer.

The roofs keep sound in, the lower bowl is a great size for our current level of support, the bouncing bleachers are a signature feature par excellance, the field is a great size for our club, the stadium has a memorable soccer history (home to Cruyff, many national team games, etc), the site lines are decent for an all-purpose stadium, though it would be nice if the seating was banked more steeply, and it has been OUR HOME as primary tenants for 9 years.

Lockhart Stadium is not a major league stadium. Sure the stands are close the to field. So are the parents along the sidelines at a midgets or micro game. Lockhart would be great for an A-league or WUSA team, but it is not a suitable home (currently) for an MLS franchise.

There are plenty of DC fans who would be positively contented with their home stadium if the financial side were not so crippling to the bottom line.

16. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: Lockhart holds 22k+ and has roundly been been praised for it's environment as an MLS stadium when the Fusion (RIP) were there. I still think it's a glorified HS football stadium though.

But my point was more why doesn't AEG more highly value DCU for the reasons previously stated?

17. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    You'll have to ask Uncle Phil, not us...

--kravi

P.S. Why do left coasters think they are so much better than Easterners?

18. perctarit

perctarit Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ward 6
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, because soccer is not sufficiently broadly recognized across America for the concept of 'America's team' to apply to a soccer team.

On the other hand, based on its early success, its distinctive brand, and, more recently, Freddy, United seems to be the most widely recognized American soccer team. If/when MLS establishes itself as a recognized sports league in the US and United's on-field success continues, then I think the team will be able to lay claim to that moniker.

perc

19. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    In pure attendance, it is big enough (I admit I underestimated its capacity slightly - I though it was more like 17,000), but does it have any luxury boxes/loge seats? Is the stadium an all-seater or is it bleacher seating? Does it have proper press facilities and "major league" amenities (concessions, etc)?

When I remember seeing pictures of Lockhart (not having been there), it has impressed me in terms of the surface, but it looks . . . like a big high school stadium.

20. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Anschutz can ultimately retain only a few clubs (if not one only) in MLS. So it is not very surprising that he has worked hardest on his adopted hometown, flagship franchise. Because his base of operations is Los Angeles, it is not surprising that he would be able to get the development there soonest either (after all - the owner of the Kodak Theater and Staples Center will get quick attention in LA).

Chicago sort of worked out well . . . it appears that it was a bit simpler to find a more permanent stadium solution there than in NY, where AEG has worked very hard to build a stadium.

Perhaps there have been more attempts than we know about to build a stadium in DC, but the difficulties of working with DCSEC (acronym right?) and the distract government as a whole are well-documented, especially with the 10,000 lb gorilla (baseball) looming over the entire process.

Ultimately, it makes sense to solve the easiest "problem" first (LA and Colorado) and to start dealing with the biggest problem (NY) as soon as possible. After that, try to pick low-hanging fruit (Chicago) and do what you can in the difficult cities (SJ and DC).

AEG only purchased DC United, NY and San Jose to help stabilize the league. They were never intended to be held long-term. It was part of his strategy to "raise his boats by raising the sea". On the other hand, DC United could fetch a pretty penny if the "franchise" is revitalized by winning another championship and having a certain stadium deal in place.