Is Clint Mathis at long last done?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Celticbhoy14, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Celticbhoy14

Celticbhoy14 New Member

May 30, 2003
    It depends
    Has The Bruce given up on Clint? Is it possible he's past his prime?

2. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Looks like a safe bet to me.

3. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Stick a fork in him. (I'm sorry to say it...)

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    You never know with Clint.. It's even possible he could start the MLS season on fire and get a call-up ...
    Not likely but it is possible.. Just saying he's not old enough to write off totally yet and he may be the next come back player of the year.. ;)

5. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    Wow. Just wow.

What is this? The 10th thread questioning if Clint is done in the last month?

Is that you Cletus?

How many more of these are you going to start? Is BS all you have left?

6. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am, or should I say was, the biggest Mathis apologist on these boards. I love Cletus, but even I can't defend him now. He goes from scoring 4 goals in his first five games in the Bundesliga to getting dumped by the worst team in MLS. Unless he starts the MLS season on FIRE, banging in a goal or two a game, I can't see him getting a look. I think he's planted pretty firmly in BA's doghouse.

7. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    The Clint story is short but tragic. I remember when it all started when he came to the Metros, became a goal scoring machine, scored one of the prettiest goals of the WC, left for Germany and self destructed. Potentially one our best players ever, but sadly he is his own worst enemy. RIP Cleatus.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, SECOND worst team in MLS! Please, we at RSL have so little, that one point margin over Chivas really matters to us! ;)

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He still has his kegs of beer. ;)

11. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I hear he's totally stoked that we have real beer in Colorado as opposed to those pusbags in Utah.

12. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll just hang at the "Coors" factory and will show up for games drunk and will probably play sweet.

13. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off to school now, there's a good lad.

14. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
  15. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes all people need to perform at their best is something that motivates them. Perhaps the chance to make the WC roster will motivate him enough to play at his peak again. Let's hope.

16. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    clint is still one of a few US/MLS players that's worth the price of admission. you just never know with this guy.

do i think he'll go to germany? no.

would i mind if he did? no.

17. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    If making the WC roster was ever a part of Mathis' motivation, I think he would have done more then just try to turn it on 6 months before the start of the world cup.

18. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. Some people need to have their back up against the wall for them to get motivated. The final roster being named in 5 months may just be imminent enough to motivate Clint. I'm not saying it might not be a case of "too little/too late" in Arena's mind; I'm just saying that if Clint thinks he has a chance to make the roster but that this is truly his last chance, it may light that fire in him.

19. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Clint Mathis is done when he officially announces he's retired from the USA team, or lambasts the program and managers. Otherwise, if he works out, is motivated and does spectacular things in MLS this season like he is capable of doing, there's a good chance he gets called in. He does well in that call-up, he's probably in the roster.

Clint Mathis is a player that the USA could use in this World Cup, IMO. He doesn't have the type of attitude that would defer to anyone from another country, and could give the USA just the attitude it needs when facing a team like Italy or Germany. He's versatile and does some things that none of the current players do.

Maybe don't get your hopes too up on him, but IMO it wouldn't be wise to dismiss him altogether... he could go into this summer as the most in-form USA striker and you never know how injuries turn up on the eve of the cup (look at what happened to Germany before 2002).

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On his day, Clint is one of the best around. OK, so he scored three goals this season, all of these goals were goal of the week winners, two bullet free-kicks and the other a sweet finish over the keeper. If he can get fit when the rest of the team are in camp, loses a few pounds, and has a good start with the Rapids, you just never know.

21. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He started to self-destruct long before he left for Germany.

He reached his high-water mark in the spring 2002 Germany game when he nailed two goals and Bayern Munich put a small bid in for him. From that point on it has been a slow downhill ride.

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    He lost it right around the time he went after that fan in the stands at the end of the metros season at Giants stadium b/4 he left for Germany...

Not that I blame him for that action (the fan was a total ass), but it just put an exclamation point on his frustruation and dip in form..

23. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    I don't know man. Mathis hasn't been on his day for a few years now. Sure he scored a three pretty looking goals, but that doesn't mean a whole lot right now considering his track record. He hasn't shown anything new since 2002.

Ever since he fell out of the Bruce's graces, everyone like "oh, just wait, next year he'll be fit and tearing it up," but Mathis has failed to do so.

What other player (Edit - Forward/Attaching Mid) in MLS would score only 3 pretty goals in the past season and still be considered a serious contented for the WC squad? None. Any other player in MLS would not get that sort of slack from fans. Let "Golden Boy" LD score three pretty goals in MLS and not perform and watch 99% of posters say he was washed up. Heck, people said he was washed up when he came back from Germany, but at least LD came back to MLS and put in work. Mathis hasn't period.

24. TIKY

TIKY New Member

Apr 6, 2001
    San Diego
    I've been a big supporter of Mathis but it really does look like he's done. I think he'll be playing in the A-league after this season. Rochester anyone?