Is Chicago destined/headed to Win the MLS Cup?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I dont know what to say, but things look or appear to be like NOONE can't beat Chicago at this time. It's hard to beat Chicago when they play away, imagine at Soldier field?. Tell me if I'm wrong. I'm Galaxy fan, but Chicago is the best team in MLS right now.

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Of course I'm biased, but I can't disagree. But as we proved in 2000, the best team doesn't always win a cup game (no offense to K.C. fans.)

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't argue I personally remember thinking that Chicago was going to win that game after the number of chances that they had, but like was seen in that game and in the NHL last year, a hot goalie can lead his team to wins.

With that said though, it certainly seems like Chicago is the team to beat right now in MLS, as long as Thorton doesn't go down and you got to bring in Curtis Spiteri.

4. crestuden

crestuden New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    In a series Chicago would be the favorites but in a one game semifinal and finale anything can happen. The Fire seem to have control of their series with DC but the Revs, should they win, have played the Fire well this year. Then there is always the teams from the west.

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In MLS anyone can beat anyone. It's not like a lot of other leagues in which maybe 3 or 4 teams have a realistic shot at winning the title. If you're hot at the right time you could win MLS Cup. Theortically LA could win the title having never won a road game.

6. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Even if LA makes it through this round, they will have to win either at KC or at Colorado, so the no road win mojo is seriously working against them.

It would definately be a sight to see if the team that finished 9th out of 10 makes the final. That would be another piece of the mojo working against them.

7. BillQ

BillQ New Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago, IL
    Now that we got past the match tonight at RFK, I have to say that only New England stands in the way of the Fire and the Treble. The Revs are playing some good footy right now, but they will have to face 30,000+ at NSF in order to upset Chicago, assuming they don't choke next weekend, or the Fire for that matter.

Bill Q.

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think the most dangerous team in front of the Chicago is LA. Even though Chicago has dominated LA this year, it would be a tough final at the HDC.

9. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    You guys in Chicago will have to get by:

A. The Defending Eastern Conference Champions

B. A team that is one of the, if not the hottest teams in the League.

C. A Team that has shelled the Fire this Season.

D. A Team that is looking for revenge for losing last years cup at home in the Championship.

E. All of the Above.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i picked the fire before the season and i've seen no reason to change my opinion - for my money, they are clearly the best team in the league and they are healthy.... of course truth is stranger than prediction

11. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Doubtful. Even on the road, Chicagoans know how to bring the noise. The benefit of having such great fans is that even at away games, Chicago Fans on Travel can make it seem like a pro-Fire crowd (e.g. Open Cup final when only 5,000 NYers could make it).

I´m counting on the Fire to make it to the final... but then again, I don´t want to jinx them (can someone get back to me on official rules of jinxes by the way? I´m a little unsure in a few areas and I want to make sure that in my zeal I don´t accidentally bring bad luck to the team)

Finally, yes.... IF Chicago plays with energy and stays focused, they may be/ are the toughest team to beat in MLS today. but sometimes I feel like that´s a big "if," and in MLS things are close enough that anything can happen on any given sunday.

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    According to the Patrick Ewing Theory

According to the Patrick Ewing Theory a fire treble makes perfect sense.

13. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was mentioned before, anything can happen in the playoffs. I'm confident that we can wrap up DC at home next week, but i'm not putting anything past the revs. I've seen what they can do, and even though they're missing twellman, they are still a dangerous team. I think it'll be us and the revs battling it out for the spot in the cup final. The west i'm not so sure about. San Jose can be unbelievable when they're firing on all cylinders, and though they don't seem to be at the moment, they can snap back into form at any time. LA seem to be on a bit of a tear lately, and I think if they get to the final, the prospect of repeating as champions on their own field could be enough motivation for them to beat any team. We won't know til tuesday, but I think Colorado will take the upper hand and eventually make it to the conference final. I'm gonna say it'll be the Fire vs. the ________ in the MLS Final. Too close to call the rest IMO.

14. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    I called for the Galaxy to win the whole thing. I think its a great injustice if they do, but I am definitely calling for them to do so.

And the idea of the bad road mojo goes out the window when we take it to a 30 minute overtime or PKs. Any variation in a mojo throws it off. I expect LA to win the MLS Cup having never won a game in regular time in an away game.

15. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    If that were true, the travelling from city to city on the road should have thrown it off....

Unfortunately, the Galaxy sucked everywhere they went and while they are having success against SJ, I more look at that as SJ collapsing than anything positive by LA.

I can see SJ choking so bad they don't make it past the first round, I would be extremely surprised to see anyone left in the semi finals do likewise.

16. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    Quakes collapsing

I have to agree here, I think this Galaxy thing is just a matter of year two of the SJ late season collapse. The galaxy aren't on a tear lately, they've just played three consecutive games against the quakes. I feel bad, badmouthing my team, but this is the second year in a row they've pulled this. It sucks. Teams on actual tears right now are the Wizards and Revs. Watch out for them, don't worry so much about the Gals of LA.

17. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    The Earthquake will need to win by 3 points. If they tie a 30 minutes golden goal game will be played. I'm sure LA will prevail next saturday. The hardest part is that they will probably play against Chicago since I'm sure the the Metrosucks will lose saturday.

18. giaguara

giaguara New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Cork
    LA? That'll be fine. I don't care which is the team that Chicago will beat in the final game(s). :)

19. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    AGAIN..... Chicago will not even win the EAST!

20. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Lufty, why don't you just outright say it that the Revs will win MLS Cup?? What, are you afraid you might jinx them if you say their name?

As far as Chicago being destined to win MLS Cup this year, well, last time they won it in 1998 was in the LA area, and that's where the final is again. Coincidence or destiny??? Hmmmm......

p.s. If the Galaxy lose by one goal in Game 2 against San jose, they're in the Semis. If they take that game to overtime and then to penalty kicks, they still would be unable to win a single game on the road within normal MLS regular season rules. So I expect them to make the finals through PKs. Then they get to host a final being a 9 seed (oops...sorry Columbus), I mean a 4 seed in the west. So technically, they don't have to win a single game on the road under normal regular season rules to be MLS champions.

Personally, I hope this happens, so that the league realizes how stupid it is for the ninth worst team during the regular season to be recognized as the league champion by the end of the year. To me, that's moronic.

21. PiwoProsze

PiwoProsze Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Boulder CO
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me, but the Revs are on fire (thats my bad pun). And I do believe the Revs are one of the only teams (if not the only team) to have a winning record against Chicago. Also the Revs are exactly .500 on the road this year, nothing scary but most of the losses were during our annual slump which we have definitely come out of. Just something to chew on.

22. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    If you team is so good, why you dont show up to the stadium?

23. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked the G's playing the Village People (Crew) for the final.

Well, the Crew collapsed like the Soviet Union and the G's looked pretty dismal. But... due to the "On any day..." principle, we have a great chance.

Especially if we can tie KC or Colorado (which is possible).

I'll put Hartman up against anybody in MLS on penalty kicks.

However, try as I might, I can't see us defeating Chicago in the final. It'll be close though.

tm

24. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Pretty impressive statement. Maybe, if you're lucky, LA will get almost half the number of people at the final that we got last year...

25. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    whoever live in past memories lives in a fantasy world. I was a young child before. Hey, now I'm in my 20's. Heje