Is Caraglio Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exaggeration much?

2. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He did look upset. And he did spend too much time in his own half helping out the defence, which should not be a part of his responsibilities, but 1.) it wouldn't surprise me if Nicol asked him to track back starting in the 6th minute to help defend the 1-0 lead, and 2.) that's the only way he'll get to touch the ball as he's never going to get it if he stays up front like the classic striker that he seems to be.

3. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's so awesome that some of you can figure out whether a player has the goods or not based on three games. On that basis, shouldn't our starting strike tandem by John Bagley and Chris Brown (with Zack Schilawski as the third choice starter)?:rolleyes:

This thread encapsulates what I've railed against from some of the NNN crowd -- the inability to reason on anything Revs related. The kneejerk answer is just that the Revs are wrong. Kinda like Fox news on the democrats or Salon.com (or my brother in law) on the republicans.

4. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I actually think Caraglio is really good - smart, can beat defenders off the dribble in the open field, able to muscle through in tight spaces. I'm hopeful Lekic can play tomorrow so we can finally see how they would work as a tandem. He might finally be the right guy for Lekic to poach off of.

The Revs are gonna have the reverse problem in 2012 of the past couple years, I believe - effective forwards, but no midfield ("Pheilhaber" doesn't sound too appealing a tandem, and McCarthy won't be ready to be an every game starter next year either.)

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here ... hoping they'll actually get a chance to play together.

6. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Repped. The negativity is often warranted with this franchise, but some of the recent threads have been ridiculous. Let's give players a fair chance before running them out of town. It appears that the negativity that should be directed at the front office is now spilling over to the players. I understand that people are pessimistic about the signings and expect the worse, but let's at least give these guys a chance.

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here here!

When this whole NNN and KAD debate started a few years ago, I thought I was close to the most negative of the bunch. I've been so far surpassed now, it's kinda funny. We're making judgments right off the cuff which makes no sense to me. When a player is brought in, asking questions regarding his injury status is fair. After 2 games asking if a player is a bust seems a bit overboard to me.

8. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milton Caraglio needs more than just 2 games to be deemed anything. Hell, I think even Rajko has got to be given some slack..!

This team has had a ton of bad luck and some really shady players that probably should even be on a 1st team in MLS. Did the FO wait a long time in getting a team...? Yup. But, look at TFC and what they've done with getting players late, etc.

Did the FO/KSG go look for bargains..of course they did..but, that's not the player's fault. I was appalled at even our own broadcast team when they'd call out Osei last year when you could see he was really trying...it's not his fault that he was thrown out there too soon. Granted, as a pro, you have to be willing and able to be thrust out there..it is your job and that's what you wanted..!!

Still, time needs to be given to the player. But, certainly, if you need to voice anything it should be directed at the FO for being lackadaisical in their execution.

9. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I jumped overboard a long time ago to get off this sinking ship ;). But you're right, a player (employee) should get more than 10 minutes to prove their value to the organization.

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caraglio didn't look like a bust on that goal!!

11. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I think we can officially close this inane thread.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Even this blind squirrel of a FO finds a nut once in awhile (ok ...every decade or so)

13. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Decidedly not a bust. Yet.

14. NE Forever

NE Forever New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yep. Caraglio can stay. I don't know if he'd want to after the season we've had but we're happy to have him!

15. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could actually turn out to be a pretty good signing. Milton with a brace!

16. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And close on two others. (He looked amazed at the way the header jumped off the artificial turf and over the goal.)

17. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a player last night

Now if SN could only clean out the boneheads that cost us games buy getting thrown out we might actually win now and again

18. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    On today's Iron Chef, the mystery ingredient is crow.

19. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People would only have to eat crow if this was actually a good decision, but it can't be a good decision because the FO can't make good decisions. They didn't even scout him, ffs; they only looked at videos; he fell in their laps; it was a desperation signing; we got lucky.

Did I leave anything out?

edit: Yeah, it was just luck -- see RKane's post (#123) this morning in the MPF @ Revs thread, here: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1805043&page=13

20. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I second that motion..!

21. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG - we have two mixed games and one good game but we can't discuss if he is going to be real or a bust? I admitted he had a good game last night but also admit his first two games were nothing special. The jury is out and the discussion on his merit continues

If people want to discuss something really important, feel free to participate in the endless discussion about swearing in the fort. That is what's really important, not a new player's merit ;)

22. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thread's still open. Discuss away. I'm curious to hear what have you seen that indicates he might be a bust . . .

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong. I liked what I saw last night.

But if we are going to declare Caraglio a successful signing after all of three games, then I don't ever want to hear a word of dissent when I claim that:

Shilawski
    Dube
    Boggs
    Phelan
    Cochrane
    Tierney
    Barnes
    Nyassi
    Mansally

Are all either busts or should be 2nd options, not first, off the bench.

The body of work to consider is much greater. They are what they are, which is marginal to horrible.

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scoring two in a single game against a regional opponent makes you Darren Sawatzky. ;)

Hopefully he's a reliable striker continuing into next year when there will be a new front office, coaching staff, and trainers.

Oh who am I kidding?

25. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    This thread was silly to begin with after only 2 games. Clearly not enough time to draw any conclusions - good or bad - after two games.

As a point of reference, in Tom Brady's first 2 games as a starter for the Patriots, he had a total of 0 touchdowns. ZERO.

First game went 13/23 and second game went 12/24. A 50% completion rate!

What a bust he turned out to be.