Is Caraglio Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Aug 14, 2011.

1. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's only two games but I've been watching Caraglio closely and after two games, I've seen almost nothing that says he's a DP. Im getting an early feeling that this guy is going to be amazingly average on a team of mostly average to low average players :(

2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a DP. He is probably paid around the same or less than Teirney (we'll find out eventually).

He qualifies as a DP due to the transfer fee, apparently. We will all have arguments about what is "lying," but basically the REVs are once again blowing smoke up everyone's ass by playing this up as a DP signing because they are such abject failures at their jobs. Almost a year after saying they'd look for DP players they have still failed to fulfill the promise, IMHO.

That said, I'm still willing to give him more time to see how he pans out.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I thought he looked better his first game than this last one, but I can't say he's a bust after just 2 partial games.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Tierney only makes $66k, I highly doubt Caraglio is getting paid that little. I'd assume he's closer to double that.

Agreed. It's completely ridiculous to be talking about him being a bust after two games. This is why I often feel that the NNNs are just as ridiculous as the KADs, give the guy the benefit of the doubt and get off his back.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Seconded.

Picking up Caraglio was an interesting gamble - investing in a player whose market value was diminished by his injury history - something we've done before with poor results, but never before with a kid this young.

Given the complete irrelevance of the play-offs for us, letting him play himself into game shape is fine with me. I think his touches are decent by MLS standards, and he holds the ball up well. We have absolutely no idea at this point how well he will run with or without the ball, or how well he will be able to shoot. He seems to be working hard. I have no complaints. He may turn out to be a steal.

6. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a troublesome moment early in the Columbus game where he attempted a shot on goal from the center circle that was easily blocked by a Crew player.
    2 early observations; he's obviously rusty as hell and MLS defenders will not be able to beat him up.

Still hopeful.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No games in a year, not really training with a team until two weeks ago. Kid has some rust and shape issue. By the time Lekic gets back his fitness should be better. Was this the ideal signing for this time of the year? nope but for the most part the season is over and he was probably signed for next year

8. CenterForward

CenterForward Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waaay too early to make any sort of statements like this...

9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's early but I was looking for people's first impressions. Even if he is rusty, I would expect to see a few "glimpses" of a shine that lies underneath all that rust. So far I have seen nothing. I do see a player that's seems to be speed challenged though.

We'll see.... again .. just looking for first impressions

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ~He's shown he's strong and will be able to fight off the overly physical defenders in MS
    ~He holds the ball up well
    ~He seems to have a good soccer brain and attempting to know down balls to others
    ~He's out of shape and rusty which will change. His lack of speed will not
    ~As Jon points out--if his knee is healed and he rounds into being a quality signing he could be a steal--but we may not know his true worth till next Spring

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with Monty that it's too early to anoint Caraglio the next Rev bust, I also understand your point of seeing glimpses of talent right away. If you're a good player that will consistently do damage in this league, you either have it or you don't (ie Lekic, Stoli, EJ, etc).

Twellman had it; every striker since hasn't.

12. Soc4Us

Soc4Us Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Dunstable, MA
    I understand what you're saying and I don't think he's a player who is going to be discussed about as a potential league MVP, but watching him last night convinced me to think of his play the rest of the season as just an early start to preseason for 2012. I see a few good things, but he has a lot of work to do to get himself in game shape. Hopefully he can use this time to build upon.

13. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Really? We're writing him off with less than two full games played? Ridiculous.

14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected, he doesn't make as little as Tierney (nothing), he makes twice nothing. Which still makes him a far cry from a DP in my mind.

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, what team is he training with? ;)

He may be. But the REV organisation is no longer allowed to sell me on future promises. I'm not likely to be watching so I don't care.

16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Agreed.

17. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a loophole not a DP. This is a Stolica level signing... both in talent and salary. We were just dooped into paying transfer and or agent fees :confused:

18. cml1394

cml1394 Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A. He's not actually a DP

B. He's played 2 games and isn't match fit yet or had much time with his new teammates

This thread is beyond ridiculous.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, give this more time but when are the Revs ever going to begin strengthening thier team in the off-season in a proactive way instead of trying during the season in a reactive catch-up fashion?

20. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh FFS, he's played two games.

He's having the same problem that Lekic, Stolica and others have had... a lone striker* is too isolated up there. Whenever he gets the ball, he has no support. That's why we can never create chances no matter who's up there.

(*-In theory, it's like a 4-5-1 when we lose the ball and a 4-3-3 when we have it. But in reality, the way we play it, it's like a 4-5-1 all the time.)

21. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Stop making absolute statements about Caraglio's talent level. Give him a few games and evaluate him from there. This is the most ridiculous thread I've seen in a while.

22. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, I think we can say with confidence that he's not exactly a pacey player, is he? Early in yesterday's game, Feilhaber sent through a beautiful angled ball that someone with the pace of, say, Phelan would have gotten to and put on goal -- but Caraglio was way, way behind it.

Also, let's not overlook that he would have had a goal yesterday if Soares hadn't interposed himself and put the ball off the frame. That cross was ticketed for Caraglio, and he couldn't have failed to put it home. Just bad luck in a way.

23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still my honest opinion that Revs fans should reserve criticism of their strikers until they have atleast an average supporting striker to play with and more than 1 creative midfielder giving them the balls through. If New England lands somebody by tonight, unlikely, in the midfield that can help the team get the ball forward then I assure you Lekic & Carraglio will look alot better, especially if they are on the field at the same time.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to not participate.

I dont think discussing a new player's merits or lack of is ridiculous. We've waited a long time for a DP (that's what he's called) and I for one expect an impact player.... not a project

So lets just talk about anything good or bad people have seen so far

25. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I'd rather go the RSL route than the RBNY route with DP signings. There's no need to splash the cash, guys like Montero, Espindola, Hassli, etc have proven you don't need to be an Henry/Beckham to be a DP and produce.