Is Bruce Arena a Jackass?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NietzscheIsDead, Jun 4, 2024.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m guessing if this tournament is Southgate’s last the next coach will be Graham Potter.

I think the reason they wanted an Englishman is they had a couple foreign coaches who weren’t well thought of in terms of how they did a for England. I do think they would push for Klopp, but I don’t know if he would take it. I think they’d also push for Pep once he leaves City and he could be more gettable. Mourinho would take it I think though.

Pegasus repped this.
  2. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think england are the most self-overrated nation/team in the history of the game (while managing to also be among the most underperforming, which is really something). and theyve never beat us in a world cup- but thats more as aside to say f england than anything yall are talking about.

my job here is done.

Bajoro and eagercolin repped this.
  3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could their problem be that they have too much talent? It's like they are all "waiters" and none of them are "busboys". They need some grinders and kick-ass guys.

Pegasus repped this.
  4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think traditionally the opposite has been their problem - they import much of their creative center midfielders so not a lot of locals that play there. Not sure that's this team's problem though. They are weak at center back, currently no fit left back, and they have a talented offensive right back that can't defend that well. Some of that sounds familiar.

BTW - what is the point of this thread? We could have answered the subject in one post - Bruce is pretty famous for being a jackass. Can we close it now?

tomásbernal, bct81 and superdave repped this.
  5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they were the best for the first maybe 50 years of soccer but thought they were above everyone else so much that they wouldn't play in the WC at first. if they had they might have won a bunch of those earlier ones and who knows what that would have done for their psyche. By the time they deemed themselves ready to play others they were no longer the best (don't hold this to be super factual as it's just from my foggy memory of reading accounts).

6. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like we should but also feels like we should start up a new one for the Kickin It interviews with former and current USMNT coaches and figures since they all seem to spark lots of discussion. At least whenever the next one happens.

Burr, Shabs and NorcalHockeyhooligan repped this.
  7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I’m ok keeping it open if we have a thread title which sets expectations.

bct81, Burr and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suggestion is the title is changed to reference the show in some fashion.

Tomorrow’s episode is McBride and I’m sure that will spark some discussion, particularly if he has anything to say about Berhalter given his role last cycle.

9. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    word

10. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    7 F-Bombs in 30 seconds from Deuce.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Ha, I remember that game. One of Dempsey's first few appearances at Fulham, and Ronaldo scored an outstanding solo goal, beating several Fulham players in the sequence (including Clint and Volz). A lot of people weren't sure Dempsey was going to make it in the Premier League at that point.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  12. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    6:10 minutes into this highlight video below:

As the Kickin' It clip above indicates, Dempsey is the player who misses the sliding tackle on Ronaldo right after CR glides by Volz.

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it ought to have a foul language warning. If my wife heard that clip soccer shows would be banned in our f'ing house.

14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bajoro, gjackson2207 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay but is there any actual evidence for either US Soccer or Berhalter having an ounce of dignity?

gjackson2207 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The surprise is that Bruce was surprised a USSF official was talking to Bruce about planning for upcoming games. Didn’t Bruce realize by 2018 how incompetent the federation is?! A “real” federation would have fired Bruce at the final whistle.

xbhaskarx, gjackson2207 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a good thing none of the decision makers from back then are still with US Soccer.

Bajoro and dark knight repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** that weak shit. A real federation would have Mussolinied his ass from the nearest gas station. They should have Red Weddinged the whole bunch of pussy ass losers in the goddamn locker room!

Or, you know, act like grown up professionals who by the way have to hire the next coach which will be harder to do if they act like petulant dicks.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If we want to read Twitter we can go there. Posting some ridiculous user’s tweets here as though it gives it more legitimacy is not okay. We expressly do not want this forum to be Twitter. I don’t want to turn off previews of tweets (I think this is possible) but maybe I should. Please stop (to everyone who does this). Your posts may be deleted with warning.

@bungadiri

superdave repped this.
  20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the video of Bruce Arena talking about Couva is irrelevant to a thread about Bruce Arena?

Duly noted

21. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then You should post the YouTube video, sans the commentary in the tweet.

dark knight repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s also just the original tweet from CBS Golazo which is just the video itself sans any commentary.

dark knight repped this.
  23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Asked and answered. Feel free to use USA Men if it’s important to you to share what Twitter thinks of Berhalter or anything else.

24. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a useful distinction.

dark knight repped this.
  25. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The title of the thread: "Is Bruce Arena a jackass?" really answers itself. Of course he is but that does not mean that he can't coach.

jaykoz3 and NietzscheIsDead repped this.