Is Brazil 2003 a dream team?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by MIGkiller, Sep 12, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With the depth and number of stars that Brazil has this moment fighting to be amongst the starting 11, a team that unfortunatelly is being hold back by its defensive coach, can Brazil be considered a dream team? Which top international coach do you think would be the most appropriate to command such powerfull roster?

2. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Dream Team: They just might be. Although Argentina probably has the same depth.

Coach: Wenger might work. What do you think?

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A dream team???

I don't know about that. The French first team and squad is stronger in my opinion, and I'm sure in quite a few other people's opinions as well. I rate Henry over Ronaldo, Zidane over Ronaldinho, Pires over Rivaldo, Viera over Emerson/Gilberto Silva and certainly the French defensive unit is superior to Brazil's.

They had a bad World Cup, and Brazil surprisingly got their act together, but later in the tournament still needed to switch to playing 2 defensive midfield players in Gilberto Silva and Kleberson.

Saying that, to answer your question about an appropriate question for Brazil. I would still say that Scolari did the best possible job at the World Cup with this group of players. Even though his buildup was poor.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every Brazil team is a Dream Team.

5. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If comparing to the Jordan-Bird-Johnson US Men's basketball team, then definately no. That was a historic team of 3 of the all time greats in the sport that crushed every team they played. In other words, if able to choose from all the players in the world, regardless of the nation, there just is no way you will select an entirely Brazilian squad. So to me they arent a "dream team" as its possible to come up with a better team containing other players. Brazil is certainly able to claim that they are the best in the world right now, but they arent that historicly signifigant nor are they that dominant.

However, although I wont say that Brazil doesnt have the right to claim they are the best in the world, I am not sure that they really are the best. France's flameout in WC '02 was in my opinion a bizarre oddity. They dominated all 3 games in their opening round. They were one of the most dangerous teams in terms of shots and shots on goal, and had more than enough opportunities, but inexplicably could not seem to put the ball in the back of the net. Which isnt to say that they shouldnt have lost and been eliminated, only that they were clearly better than their record indicated, and I think would have been a serious contender had they managed to advance.

6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thats a really good point. Its really amazing that France didn't even score a goal in the World Cup. Nothing went right for them.

If you match Brazil with France, player for player, France should be better.

Brazil won the World Cup because Ronaldo and Rivaldo were at the top of their game. But when Herny, Pires, Zidane, Viera are on the top of their game they are as good as anyone in the world.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I really think Brazil will be stronger than France in 2006. Especially if Zidane retires.

I would not take Ronaldinho over Zidane either, but I would take Ronaldo over anyone else in the world when it comes to national team play.

And with defenders like Alex and Luisão coming up alongside solid players like Lúcio, Roque Junior and Edmilson, Brazil has it's best crop of central defenders in at least a decade. (Since Aldair, Mozer, Ricardo Gomes).

Similarly, with Gilberto Silva, Kleberson, Zé Roberto, Júlio Baptista and Renato (and heck, even Emerson... he seems not as bad as the 2001 qualifiers version) Brazil has an amazing set of defensive and two-way mids. Maybe better in depth than anyone in the world.

The only positions that are a problem are left and right back, in that Roberto Carlos and Cafu do not have back-ups at their level. However right now both are likely starters in 2006 (yes, even Cafu).

Anyways, they're certainly better than 2002.

And anyone who has Kaká, Diego and Alex fighting for a spot alongside Ronaldo and Ronaldinho has got to be as close to a dream team as you can be.

8. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    if you look at offensive midfielders and forwards brazil has much more options and much more depth than france at the moment

there is no discussion about that

many of the brazilian stars lika diego, kaka and ronaldinho are also young players on the rise there are no french players in the same age that come close to them

9. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    Well, Sinama-Pongole, Le Tallec, Luyindula, Govou, Aladière, Cissé ...

That's pretty impressive too if u look (better) at it.

10. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    of course there are young talents in france it is just that they simply are not in the same level as those in brazil and argentina

i'd prefer d'allesandro, diego, robinho and kaka before any of those you mentioned

not to mention ronaldinho who had a one-man-show in the french league none of the players you mention are able to come close to

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No. They may be better than anyone else currently, but they aren't blowing sides away. Also, take away the defensive coach and you might also take away their defence. I'd rate the Brazil side of 82 as being better than the current team, but they didn't have the defensive discipline and it cost them. The Brazil teams of the last 10 years or so may not be anywhere near as entertaining to watch as Brazil teams of the past, but they are certainly more effective.

12. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Brazil is indeed the strongest, deepest team in the world.
    This is the team I expect to see during WC 2006.
    ------------------Ronaldo
    ------------Kaka-----------Ronaldinho Gaucho
    --------------------Diego
    -----------Kleberson---Gilberto Silva
    R Carlos-------Alex------Lucio------Maicon
    --------------------Dida

Reserves: Adriano, Rivaldo, Denilson, Amoroso, Robinho, Alex, Ze Roberto, Julio Baptista, Juan, Emerson, Edmilson, Luisao, Cafu, Belleti, Gomes

The only teams that can come close to matching Brazil's depth and talent are France, Holland, Argentina, and Italy. Brazil has unbelievable attacking players oozing with creativity. Strong, reliable, fast, even creative defensive midfielders. A suprisingly sturdy group of central defenders. Roberto Carlos and especially Cafu are getting old but I fully expect to see Roberto Carlos in Germany. Cafu has a very worthy replacement I believe in Maicon. Dida is a good keeper but I expect this to be Brazil's biggest weakness.

13. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    "bolillo" Gomez the coach of Ecuador said his team was playing "the dream team" when asked about it in a news conference ;)

everyone looks at brazil as the dream team you know :)

14. Sildegil

Sildegil New Member

May 15, 2002
    First of all, Cissé has more potential than any of the players you mentionned. Maybe will he waste it. But more potential.

About Rony, he was great but few times. Not a show at all for 90% of his match. More like the invisible man.

Add to this that i would have prefered Cissé in PSG than Ronaldinho + France championship is not the best place to show international qualities (potential maybe not quality) as 95% of our internationals play in Spain, Germany, England and Italy.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Men's or Women's?

16. vico

vico Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    it is a matter of opinion and i can just say that i don't agree with you on this one

and yes i have seen cisse play

true, i remember i read luis fernandez say in world soccer that if ronaldinho would have played at 100% they would have won the title with 15 points.

his performance was irregular i agree with you but you can't deny that he has more potential and is more talented than any french player at the same age, i want to see cisse do the same things and dominate a match as he did against olympique marseilles before i'll start to believe that he has the same potential

finally i can say that argentina are the world's sub-20 champs and brazil are the world's sub-17 champs

of course this doesn't prove anything but i see that there are more talents coming out from those two countries than from france.

nothing strange cause if you take a look at history you'll see that those countries has always produced more young talents than france and it still seems to remain that way but who knows...

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Diego has more potential than any player under 23 in this game and at 18 he already runs the midfield of the Brazilian champions and South American runners-up with an authority and confidence that few others have ever had.

Both on current achievements and potential-wise Diego is easily the best 18 year-old in the world.

18. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002
    Brazil surely does not have the flair and depth of the past

Argentina on paper now looks like a dream team... if only they could get their act together

19. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well who does?? The game has changed since Pele's era. Just look at Brazil's 1982 team. That doesn't mean this selecao is worse then their predecessors.

20. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    Le simple truth

Le non

21. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And the crazy thing is that Kaka is even better than him.

22. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, this year, aside from his national team appearances, Kaká had been sub-par. His first Milan game was definitely promising though.