Is Baltimore still a possibility?

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by PTFCfan, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTFCfan

PTFCfan Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There hasn't been any discussion for about a year for Baltimore to get an NASL team, so I was wondering if anyone still even considers it possible? It would be cool I think, what do you think? What would their name and logo be, leave concepts if you like.

2. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    I think that once the NASL starts to look at good cities once the MLS expansion ends, Baltimore could be a city they would want provided we have the ownership. If I were the commish, I would call up Kevin Plank tomorrow and get him to own a team. Kevin would do this to have a track record once Angelo's dies and he wants to buy the O's.

You build a field in Curtis Bay or where the Walmart is right near 95. I think Baltimore would be #17-18 in NASL. Have rivals with VA and the Cosmos.

3. PTFCfan

PTFCfan Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I am not familiar with the area but I looked up Wal-Mart in Baltimore and there are multiple ones along the 95, could you specify which Wal-Mart you are referring to by naming what road it is on. I am curious where you plan to put a stadium in Baltimore, thank you

4. kiddx33

kiddx33 Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's referring to the corner of Light St and E Cromwell St. There is a lot of land there but it is all owned by different companies. Not an easy purchase. Doesn't matter though, pro soccer isn't coming to Baltimore any time soon. Need things like an "owner" and "community desire to have a team" and such.

5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Brilliant! They need to hire you as new commish tomorrow! I can see the business acumen oozing through that post.

6. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Baltimore = Not a great market for Soccer in the US. Not the most diverse big city and you have DC united about 45 minutes away, I can see the NFL having teams in DC and baltimore cause it's the biggest US sport by more than double fan following of any other US sport and Baseball has it as it is the oldest sport in the US, but soccer in baltimore would be a tough pull. But america is coming around in all areas in terms of interest, enjoyment and understanding soccer now

clebo99 repped this.
  7. clebo99

clebo99 Member

May 28, 2006
    I will respectfully disagree with San Diego Soccer. Baltimore has a rich sports town tradition. Baltimore has sold very well the games in the area (summer series, Gold Cup, etc). The Baltimore Blast draws very well in what only can be described as the worst professional league on the planet. The Ravens/O's draw fantastic. I think a team in Baltimore would be great as the rivalries with DC, Philly, NY and Boston would do very well. Baltimore fans also travel very well.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but Baltimore could put an NASL or MLS on the field and do well. For NASL, they could play at Towson for the first 2-3 years (Johnny Unitas Stadium) until one is built in Westport (south of the inner harbor). MLS they could play in M&T until something was built.

8. San Diego Socker

Aug 3, 2014
    San Diego
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I never said baltimore doesn't have a rich sports town tradition, where did you get that info???? I said it's not the most diverse big city and it probably won't get MLS ever because DC united is so close in proximity

And I also said the NFL by far is the biggest draw so i'm sure Baltimore would draw fantastic crowds for NFL.

9. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Did we step into the way back machine?

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its a new poster thats exploring. At least he is semi-on topic so far.

DynamoEAR repped this.
  11. BmoreKop

BmoreKop New Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #11 BmoreKop, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    I think that soccer will only be successful here if an MLS team were to come to Baltimore. We have traditionally not supported minor league sports well. The Nba, Mlb, Nfl, international soccer have all played to huge crowds. Baltimore supports major sports. MLS qualifies,unfortunately I don't think anything else would work. A couple of years ago MLS did a survey to gauge the viability of Baltimore as a MLS city and the results were favorable. A team in Baltimore would be a perfect rival for United.

12. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Soooo... is this still gonna happen or nah?

13. l_gregorio

l_gregorio New Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I have no doubt that an NASL team would work in Baltimore. It all boils down to the same missing ingredients: ownership group and venue. I hope to catch a few Boh's games this year though...

The One X repped this.
  14. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question here is if Kevin Plank would add a stadium and a soccer team to his Under Armour campus. He has purchased several tracts of land through his Sagamore Farms group in Port Covington as well as the site that was originally suggested for a stadium if DC United were to be lured out of the District. He has recently begun getting Under Armour uniforms on local high school teams and if he believes that there is expansion possibilities for his products in soccer by fielding a team he will likely do so. The past couple seasons of USL PDL Baltimore Bohemians have had Under Armour uniforms, either home or away. His first priority, outside of expanding the brand, seems to be a whiskey distillery, so a soccer team would have to slot in behind that. NASL's Wednesday night TV match package, plus ESPN 3 games, might give him the exposure he is looking for. However the more numerous markets in USL could be tempting as it offers greater product saturation. Since it's his money, Plank is the only one who can really answer any of this.

15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Plank is a smart guy. He won't be enamored with minor league soccer of any form as a vehicle to expand his brand. Now he tends to keep his cards cards close to the vest but has already gone on record that his UA campus won't include either a soccer stadium or a new arena.

16. samatwing

samatwing Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Port Covington Walmart is on the water just south of Baltimore. Kevin Plank just bought the whole area and is developing an Under Armor mega campus.

As far as soccer in Baltimore, its surprisingly pretty big around here. I moved here 7 years ago and am surprised how big of a following there is. Every friendly that comes to MandT sells out and bars all over the city are packed weekend mornings watching matches. As far as MLS, theres not a real strong following. DC united and Philly Union are both about an hour drive, and I frequent both stadiums. However, neither stadium ever really sells out. There was talk of United moving here with the stadium debacle but that sort of fizzled out.

If Baltimore ever got a team, Id imagine it would somehow be incorporated with the current team, Baltimore Bohs. Cool name and logo with history. As stated above, the Baltimore Blast also draw well here. They recently moved to a bigger facility.

If Baltimore is lucky enough to one day get a NASL or MLS team, I will support them and buy season tickets.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  17. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    MLS isn't happening. Nasl could but there aren't any suitable venues.

I could see USL working if DC United decided to put an affiliate here. But again where would they play?

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the Bohemians stadium capacity?

19. samatwing

samatwing Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They used to play at Loyola University's stadium, but moved to Bonvegna Field in Canton this year. There is little to no seating there. The idea of Baltimore getting a team would probably have to be incorporated into a new stadium on the Under Armor campus. I believe Kevin Plank plans to build a sports complex to host championships and events.

20. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    On its surface Baltimore seems like a prime market for the NASL. Large enough to support a team, and meet the D2 requirements. Yet, unlikely to get an MLS team because of its proximity to other MLS teams. It would be great if someone stepped up to form a team.

Paulo PT, greenroom and brentgoulet repped this.
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    There are plans for municipal type fields that will be temporary until he builds on the land. Nothing for a professional club to use. Plank isn't your guy. Keep dreaming along with the folks who think he is going to build a waterfront horse track to save the Preakness

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seahorse races?

;)

23. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Where would the benches go? There only seems to be about 5ish feet between the soccer lines and the fence.

25. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    With two spring sports and two fall sports crowding the calendar already, I don't think there would be great dates available.