Is Asamoah Going To The Wm?

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Wotan, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's really tearing up the Bundesliga, scoring goals like crazy for Schalke.:D

Seriously, tho- how does a "striker" with- what 2 or 3 goals, get called up for the NT? What about Kiessling, Lauth, Hanke or Bdraric? :confused:

2. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ps--

Maybe Klinsi is looking at the "Yellow cards" given during each game & thinking they're goals!

3. meista.de

meista.de Member

Mar 28, 2006
    MD
    Re: Ps--

Asamoah is more of a fighter and gets the ball for some to score then actually score I think. Hanke has been injured and not doing well. Lauth just got out of a slump and brdaric or kiessling dont have a chance of being called in unless people get injured.

4. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    Asamoah will play, his strongness is the fight.

Mike Hanke, he play in a international top team and score 25 goals or so. A dream.
    Hanke plays in Wolfsgurg, thrown out of the UI Cup and fight again relegation.
    He don`t score 25 goals.

Kiessling, his team should hold the class.

Bdraric, Hannover. He's an average player, sometimes good, but only sometimes.

Benjamin Lauth, Hamburg. Surely, he will play.

5. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    :rolleyes:

You're obsession with denigrating Asamoah is getting a little silly.

Plus, Asamoah's role with the team wouldn't be as a goal poacher anyways. Look at his performance vs. Palermo to see what he can do. While not the most technically gifted player, he's a bundle of energy, and an effective disrupter. He would be very useful coming on as a sub. While not a shoe-in for an NT spot by any means, I wouldn't mind having him on my team at all.

6. PileD

PileD New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Ruhrgebiet
    I see it the same you wrote.

7. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just stating the facts! :D A "Striker" who doesn't score! :confused: I hardly would call that "denigrating"---I wouldn't want a Goal keeper who can't stop shots--no matter what kinda "fight" he has in him. I think the guy w the "obession" w him--is Klinsi.

8. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    is he going? Yes
    SHOULD he be going? No.

I don't see a lot of value in him at the moment. Sorry. He doesn't produce for Schalke or the NT. Besides the non scoring part, he keeps losing the ball, keeps losing one on ones in the air and on the ground and doesn't contribute to important plays. He disrupts the game that is correct, but mostly for the team he is on, be it Schalke or the NT.
    The one thing going for him is that he is indeed a fighter and physically very strong. But that's it.

9. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Which is one of the things this German NT is lacking!!!!! A true fighter. Someone who is not afraid to take on a player. A player whos effectiveness is not judged on how many goals or assists he scores, but by the havoc he creates in defenses.

Sure he was bad against the US, but he was misused. Three forward set? Podolski and Klose were isolated islands at times.

Throw him into a tie or losing game in the WM, and you will see his use. I don't see him as a liability to the squad, but actually a great benefit.

10. ohk4

ohk4 Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I am with Jaison. This clearly is an obsession with you. According to your profile https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1863995
    you have started ten threads and three of those ten had Asamoah's name in the thread title. A fourth, the National Mannschaft, you used very quickly to say how much you disliked Asamoah. Give it a rest. We get the point.

11. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Asamoah should be taken the world cup, but he shouldn't start. I think the only situation in which he is good, is when Germany are leading by a goal or two, then an agressive midfielder like Schweinsteiger should be removedand Asamoah brought on, Frings pulled back as a defensive middle, and Asamoah should play as the support striker. He fighter qualities and ball winning antics will suit the team best in such a scenario only.When Germany have to play with a lone striker, and a player in midfield who is a ball winner.

More than Asamoah, Huth deserves to get the boot.

12. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    he is going but he should warm the bench with oliver kahn

13. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%.

Asamoah doesn't score much, and he doesn't posess good technical skills. But he is a tremendous physical presence, in terms of both speed and strength. Plus, he is a big time fighter, and hustles the entire time he's on the field. Those qualities do bring value.

So, Asamoah should be on the NT, but probably should not start.

14. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I have to say i don't think Asamoah should be on the side.

As everyone says he never scores. He barely ever gives any assists or set-ups. He's slow and useless in the air. Pushing and shoving around isn't what strikers are supposed to do. He might become a good player in certain midfield spots if he was allowed to develop there a little, but he possesses nothing that makes a striker. Atleast not this season. Not many people here consider Kuranyi to be of much use besides on the bench, so i'm astonished to see many of the same people saying that Asamoah, a substitute on club level, should have a spot.

If i'm looking for a fighter, it would be in the heart of the midfield. Not in the penalty box where goals are supposed to be scored.

15. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks VFB STuttgart fan---You summarized must succinctly what i'm saying. I really believe now--many people here are reacting to me---in an emotional way---& defending Asamoah---'cause I'M saying it---the nasty "Wotan"! Instead, they should be looking at his "skills" or lack thereof...for a "striker". I'm a big baseball fan---& a "closer" is a pitcher who "closes" out a baseball game (a pitcher)--to pitch the last inning with his team holding a lead. My analogy being--IF ...he is NOT getting the job done (ie: holding the opposition & winning the game)---his "fighting spirit"...to use an Italian term....means "Gazto"....!

He is NOT....a "striker"....so, i kindly ask the posters to stop.."reacting" to me---& objectively look at Asamoah's stats. True--I admit--i do not want him on the team! But--what you describe as "obsession"...i would label it as a "mission"...I can NOT believe that this guy is even CONSIDERED...for the NT---looking at his stats---THEN---when i saw him on TV vs the USA---he aimlessly wanders--often loses the bal--& when Neuville came in---more "open space" was created---& a lot more pace. One does not have to be a soccer "expert" to see this---I'm glad for the above post---also Zwanzi...& Wolf.....who also concur.

So--in conclusion---Try not to react to me...& look at the obvious. :rolleyes: Asamoah does not belong on the NT. If i want a "Bruising bull" I can go to the American ..National Football League & get a 6'6"---290 lb linebacker--NO SKILLS--but..."he's strong & has a fighting spirit.!"-----As ridiculous as that sounds--that's what people are saying---trying to hide Asamoah's obvious lack of "striker" skills.....by going to his "phsical strength"...& .."Fighting spirit"---Germany needs a "striker": who can score goals---Hope I made my case---Thank You---kindest regards---Wotan (Robert):)

16. Psychosis hsv

Psychosis hsv Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    fair visionary analysis

17. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Asamoah is not a candidate for the starting 11, but he should in any case be part of the team. He's not a finisher, but a good outside-right. Yesterday he was Schalke's best player against Sevilla imo.

18. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
    Asamoah should go and he won't be a starter but he could be a good sub especially if the other team is tired and you bring in a guy like asamoah with all the energy he has he will tear up the other teams defense.

19. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Energy"---he brings "energy"....Maybe Klinsi should get a track & Field sprinter! Lots of "energy". "He's strong"--"strength".....blah blah---Klinsi should get a weightlifter. :confused: Again- Germany needs a striker who....scores goals!! I don't want to see England 2--"Energy & strength"---0 ---Do you get my drift? Let's stop the eupemisms----the guy stinks! End- :)

20. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Is there anything you like about Asamoah Wotan? :D

21. Wotan

Wotan New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Philadelphia (& CAL)
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loaded question. Yea--

I like his "energy". Problem is- the WM is not a "marathon run".:rolleyes:

I like his "strength"-problem is--WM is not a weight lifting championship

I like the way he "tears up opponents". WM is not a wrestling match.

What i don't like----his "striker" skills as a soccer player. Whatever he is--he is NOT.....a world class..."striker" who should be on the National Team of a perennial Soccer power! Do i make myself clear? I don't care if he's Green, Black, White, Purple, or Yellow----I want a "striker" who can.......SCORE GOALS! :)

22. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    I tell you what. Let's kick out Assamoah and convince Bastuerk to play for Germany instead of Turkey! He hold's two passports I believe and the way he has been playing for Hertha lately he'd be a 20 times more effective offensive player than Assamoah will ever be. ;)

23. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    So I guess Arjen Robben and my favoritest player of all time Michael Preetz are pieces of shit ey?

Last time I checked, Jan Koller and Jaap Stam were pretty decent players.

Arjen Robben tears up opponents in a different way. So does Jan Koller. Asamoah can do both!

You don't really see the National Team often do you? When was the last time we were a "perennial Soccer power?? :confused: [/quote]
    Okay, but who?

Kiessling...maybe later, but not now
    Brdaric...he sucks!
    Thurk?...not exactly a striker
    Auer...pffft he can ******** off
    Lauth?....yea he can suck it too.

I'll envoke what somebody said after the Confederations Cup:

And yet....Asamoah is still on this team....

24. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Ok...what position does Basturk play...OM

Ok...what position does Asamoah play?...RM and ST.

Hmmm...maybe if you said Smolarek everything would be better. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

While we're at it, lets nominate Alessandro Nesta, Jaap Stam. I hear we need defenders. Maybe throw in Shevchenko too.

Thanks.

Face it folks...Asamoah isn't that great, but who do we replace him with...look at above and if you select any of those guys ahead of Asamoah, I would say you're insane.

Thanks.

25. Zwanzigoetzel

Zwanzigoetzel New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    USA
    Yeah,o.k... on paper he is.....did you actually SEE him during the last few games and where you could find him the most? Up front with Marcelinho and Pantelic. OM?
    Well, a VERY BIG O, and very small m.

Plus Bastuerk is versatile and for sure fast enough that you could put him pretty much anywhere.

Smollarek? What does he have to do with anything? He doesn't hold a German passport...:confused:

"Face it folks...Asamoah isn't that great, but who do we replace him with..."

Well, taking your own criteria from a previous post and I quote...
    ------------------------------------------
    "Which is one of the things this German NT is lacking!!!!! A true fighter. Someone who is not afraid to take on a player. A player whos effectiveness is not judged on how many goals or assists he scores, but by the havoc he creates in defenses."
    ------------------------------------------

I think Huth will be the perfect replacement! He can do all of the above and maybe even score a header or two ;)