Is Aberdeen that good or is the SPL having a down year? [R]

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Catfish, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm shocked that Celtic fell to Aberdeen. Also Aberdeen, Gers, and Celtic are getting closer on the table. I guess maybe when the big boys have a down year the SPL is more competitive to follow.

Any thoughts?

2. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    Aberdeen have been superb this season. Celtic aren't as good as last season but Wednesday was their first league defeat. It's more to do with Aberdeen being better than the OF being worse.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I knew that Celtic and Gers are definately NOT as strong as they usually are, but it is nice to see another club giving the OF a run for the title.

4. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Remember, Aberdeen did beat Celtic at Parkhead last year aswell. I hope they can continue to close the gap and play well.

5. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Surely Aberdeen (and Hearts, Kilmarnock & Hibernian) being better means the SPL is "having an UP year"?

Or is the SPL only about the Old Firm's exploits... :confused:

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's a bit of both to be honest. The Old Firm haven't been able to bring in their foreigners as usual, so their squads are a lot weaker. The other clubs are fairly even, so it all depends on injuries and current form. Therefore, the SPL is technically slightly better than usual. That particular result is down to Celtic having injuries and Aberdeen being on a great run just now. Although MoN will probably still be blaming Livi...

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok, well Gers just answered my question with a 5-0 THRASHING of Aberdeen. Now that is severe beating.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    To be fair, the second goal was on the break after a good Aberdeen chance. After that, the Aberdeen manager changed things and chased the game. He is of the opinion that it is better to go out and have a go than accept a 2-0 defeat. That's what happened and they were constantly punished as a result. He even apologised to his players and fans afterwards!

9. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Aberdeen have been totally turned around after appointing a quality managerial partnership in Jimmy Calderwood and Jimmy Nicholl to replace the completely inept to the point of comedy pairing of Steve 'Jakey Farmer' Paterson and Duncan 'I used to be alright at scoring goals but I'm no coach' Shearer.

The same squad that finished 11th in the league last year (with a couple of additions) is now sitting high in 3rd.

The 5-0 defeat can be ignored since as someone else said it was more to do with the managers tactics than the quality of player. We were also playing with an injured second choice goalkeeper in nets.

Real progress for the Dons would be a UEFA Cup spot this year and not falling at the first hurdle to a bunch of Estonian part-timers in the preliminary round of the competition next year.

There's also a real chance of a cup but that depends on the luck of the draw.