Is a style learned or inherent?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Sep 29, 2021.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Do you think styles are deliberately learned, or is it something a kid is born with?

By style, I mean the way a player plays. For ex, the way Ronaldo vs Messi vs Zlatan vs Jamie Vardy... they all have their own style.
    Some players are a bit more generalists, while some have a style per se, something that is kind of unique.

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I would say neither, it just develops on its own based on the experience of the player as they grow.

VolklP19 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree for the most part, with the caveat that BOTH of the factors @NewDadaCoach suggests will somewhat shape that development.

sam_gordon repped this.
  4. justanothersoccerdad

Apr 5, 2021
    My feeling is that a properly developed style is always in some sense unique to the individual player, or it should be. How/when does said style come into being? From what I see, it's a mix of things (coaching, a player's personality, teammates, etc.), but coaches who teach the fundamentals, and who also encourage freedom/independent decision-making/innovation on the field, certainly help to accelerate the process.

My daughter will be forever indebted to her first travel-ball coach, who introduced her to futsal, helped her to develop her off-foot, and generally just encouraged her to be a clever, smart player (as opposed to being simply a physical one) with an appreciation for the small details/moments.

NewDadaCoach and bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. Beachmom

Beachmom New Member

Nov 19, 2021
    I believe it is inherent. A great coach watched my son play a year or so ago and said "he plays simple....I like that".

As he develops, he still plays simple..but effective, no frills or flash.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #6 VolklP19, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    My now 16 year old really has developed a style based on experience but also on her own.

Sockers - taught a brilliant way to read the field, understand the game and play a strong posession style.

Daniel Hernandez (not calling out the club) Took time with my kid and forced 1v1 constantly during training and during games - I can still here him yelling 1v1 to my kid because he knew that her first instinct based on years at Sockers was distribution.

Campton - back to a "light" Sockers. Coaches are former ECNL coaches from Sockers but also push 1v1.

My kid started as a defender at Sockers, moved to a forward/def with Daniel Hernandez and now plays forward, mid and defense. Ironically she is scoring many goals - including 5 goals her freshman year on Varsity on a division winning high school team last year. She seems to be moving towards a center forward

Most of her goals are on her left foot (she's righty). So things have really developed extremely well IMO - in terms of a style. All a result of good coaching (for the most part). But also including "fun" soccer in the mix like open play during the summer, indoor 7v7 with high school boys and girls teams, really allow kids to see just how far their "serious" soccer has taken them in a non-pressure environment. It has driven more confidence then anything else and also allows us to have some serious fun as parents! In fact we had a game last night and all of us cheered on the girls way to loud and embarassed them - which is always fun in that sort of environment.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.