Irregardless: The 2021 Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Varane sucked without Ramos, or so it seemed to me (I don't want too many of their matches). And honestly there could be parallels to Lenglet without Pique. Both did really well as the younger part of a CB tandem, where an experienced CB was very clearly telling them what to do, then floundered without their "batman"...

It is not a perfect analogy but the fact that Real might get 50M or even 40M for Varane is comical to me (particularly where the team which wants him could just wait a year and get him for free), Varane is not that good (or only good with an alpha CB directing him). Meanwhile, can we even find a team to give us even 30M for Lenglet??? Mind you I don't think Lenglet wants to leave and I think he brings some value, and we don't have any money to bring in another Left footed CB. Right now we have Pique, Lenglet, Araujo, Mingueza, and Eric Garcia plus the ghost of Umtiti. Need to sell at least 1 even if we play 3 CBs at times (and I understand that Koeman pretty much promised Laporta a return to 4-3-3...

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wow! What the hell happened in Belo Horizonte?!! (Atletico-MG v Boca Juniors)

Were the VAR reviews of Boca's goals the correct decisions?

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hear they got screwed in the VAR call in the first leg . The one in this game was one of those milimetre offsides that is pissing a lot of fans

4. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

celito repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. That was complete BS.

6. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Found last night's controversy.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep . That one I saw . It is what it is with the mm offsides …. reaction is probably due to both put together . Although it’s still inexcusable what happened afterwards . Boca players ended up getting peppered sprayed inside because they started trying to reach the ref locker room while destroying a bunch of shit.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Quite surprising result in CL qualifying: PSV 5, Galatasaray 1 (first leg).

9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds promising, new VAR rules on PKs for English Premier League clubs (love that the photo is of the Sterling PK in Euros semifinal):

The Premier League is to try to end the art of “buying” a penalty, as it announced tougher refereeing criteria for deciding spot-kicks.

When the 2021-22 season begins, referees are to assess three criteria before deciding whether a penalty should be awarded for a foul challenge. Officials must first consider the degree of contact experienced by the attacking player, then the consequence of that contact, before finally taking into account the motivation of the attacker in reacting to the challenge.

“Referees will look for contact and establish clear contact, then ask themselves the question: does that contact have a consequence?” Riley said. “They will then ask themselves a question: has the player used that contact to actually try and win a foul penalty? So it’s not sufficient just to say: ‘Yes, there’s contact.’
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...r-league-players-buying-a-penalty-next-season

inswinger repped this.
  10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    “Lionel Messi and other stuff - The 2021-22 Other Teams thread”

11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Seems Lukaku is on his way to Chelsea for a reported 115m euros. Can’t help but feel that Chelsea have been robbed. Lukaku has consistently proven that when the stakes are the highest he tends to disappear. Chelsea already had him once before and let him go, then United let him go as well.

Let’s see if anything has changed this time around.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lukaku for 115m ? Imagine what Haaland will go for.

Jpows repped this.
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For free.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    With Raiola and his father asking for commission + a fat signing bonus because the buying club won't pay a transfer fee to BVB ? I don't think so.

15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he on a free after this season? The summer window is closed so that means either January (which no team will spend that kind of money in) or wait until he is free in July 2022. I could be wrong about his current deal though...

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Wrong indeed. He’s under contract until 2024. In the summer of 2022 his release clause of 75m comes into effect though, which is probably (more than) half his current market value. They’ll be all over him. Wonder who he picks if Mbappe does go to Madrid.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even if he was on a free ... he'd want that supposed transfer fee for himself and his agent in one manner or another. I think what triggers next year is some clause that he can leave for 60m or some figure like that. But that's 60m for BVB.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona