Irregardless: The 2021 Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Dec 29, 2020.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's an interesting question. I am assuming we are talking about who's the biggest icon within Brazil .. to the Brazilian people. For foreigners it's Pelé without a doubt.

I did not live in the time of Pele, so I don't know how much the general public idolized him. I am sure they did. Since my time as I can remember ( from 80s on), Pelé is really only spoken in terms of his football achievements. When you compare to some other stars, it feels like Pelé is a bit removed from the public and just not relatable. When we talk about idols/icons, it includes charisma and connection with the public and not only athletic achievements. From an athletic achievement point of view, it's Pelé IMO. But lets look at reasons why Senna is a bigger icon to the Brazilian people

1 - Senna was much more charismatic than Pelé. His appeal was broad. He was introspective and fairly intelligent which appealed to the mid/high classes in an elite sport but at the same time, he carried the Brazilian flag with passion and cared about the common man so he connected with the lower classes ... and he came from a well off but humble family. He wasn't also afraid of being controversial. That humbleness showed in his persona off the track. Pelé's interviews are bland, repetitive (the few that he gives), and not controversial. His speeches seems all planned and corporate. While he came from a poor background, he seems very detached from the common Brazilian. Senna's institution to help the needy is very famous in Brazil enhancing his connection with the public.

2 - Pele did play in a sport where his club allegiance creates some fans that will be against him. Of course he won WCs with the country and he does seem to be respected by fans of all clubs (unlike Neymar), but it's something worth mentioning. Senna competed in a sport that while he was representing himself and his constructor team, he represented the country and all Brazilians at all times.

3 - Senna not only died young, but he died on the track with millions of Brazilians watching at the peak of his career. That elevates his image to saint hood and have erased his character flaws to most fans. He also reportedly had an Austrian flag with him in the car to wave after the race ended in honor of Ratzenberger who had died a day before. That adds to the view of him being a compassionate man.

4 - Because he died young, his image wasn't exposed to scrutiny due to whatever he did in later years. Had he lived, since I'd assume he'd be more in the public space than Pele, perhaps he says things later in life that tarnishes his image. Perhaps his political views are scrutinized and disliked by a part of the population. His image is basically frozen in time.

Gilmango, inswinger, Ozora and 2 others repped this.
  2. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Senna for me will always be the greatest and most naturally talented driver in F1 history. I think despite the fact Schumacher and Hamilton have won more championships and are statistically better, Senna is still considered the true GOAT. He was a magician behind the wheel. Could perform at GOAT tier level with low performing cars and is master of wet weather driving.

inswinger, ShortyMac and Jpows repped this.
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sid Lowe sounds really ticked off. lol

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Lol

It is pretty stupid though. As is not knowing exactly how much time is left before the final/HT whistle.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This goal just looks worse and worse with each replay.

Commentator: " His first touch was not that great".:ROFLMAO:

Barc@4ever, ShortyMac and evil_allan repped this.
  6. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    When I was still young kid growing up in Serbia, Senna was my dad's and mine favorite F1 driver. I remember watching his fatal crash live and we felt like someone took our guts out when we heard that he died. His death was a tragedy and he was beloved worldwide not just in Brazil.

celito and evil_allan repped this.
  8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I attended three of Brazil's World Cup matches at USA 94 and there were just as many signs for Senna as there were for the Seleção.
    Here's one photo I took before the Brazil-Cameroon match.

6f - Senna Drives The Team To The Fifth.jpg

Attached Files:

• 5a.jpg
      5a.jpg
      File size:
      169.8 KB
      Views:
    ShortyMac, evil_allan, celito and 2 others repped this.
  9. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    That was a dreadful day , remember it well

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The Butcher of Madrid is gone ! Will miss his red cards :ROFLMAO:

Would have loved to see him age and stink up the joint. But alas, he isn't taking a pay cut ... at 35 ... after a pandemic. #Madridismo

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    GK was born in Canada. I'd check his bank account :ROFLMAO:

BocaFan repped this.
  12. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    #1737 OllyAlex, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    I wish he’d come to play for Barca for a year or so :)

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    o_O

ShortyMac repped this.
  14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh............

celito and ShortyMac repped this.
  15. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As much as I hate Ramos, I will miss him and his red cards. I can never forget those years where he and Pepe used to be big bullies. Him being destroyed by Messi was a joy to watch:ROFLMAO:

16. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why though? We need a young world class defender, not another old man. Real Madrid didn’t even renew his contract because he declined heavily. Besides his goalscoring prowess, he’ll be a defensive liability.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why can't Barca let go of their washed-up talent?

Will be interesting to see where Ramos goes. Guessing England. Are their any rumors?

Jpows repped this.
  18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Their Contract is not up .

19. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Buffon returns to Parma. He finally gives up his Champion league dream.

unclesox and ShortyMac repped this.
  20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At this point , I am not sure what he is really doing . I guess he is not ready for a change in lifestyle .

ShortyMac repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well.. .ok. But Ramos' contract wouldn't have been up either if Madrid extended it by 10 years at the start of this season, which likely would have happened if he was a Barca player.

That's what I'm talking about.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is 35 . Pique I think is 34 . Not sure when his contract is up . Don’t know the age of other players , but I do t think they are at 35 yet .

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But at 34 Pique is not as good as 35 year old Ramos. And Pique's contract would have expired next summer but a few months ago we extended it to 2024.

If you thought Mbappe v Hummels on Tuesday was comical, wait for Mbappe v Pique in 2023.

24. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid scum. Expected.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Then I agree with that. Not good. Although it remains to be seen if he is going to run out his contract.