Irregardless: The 2021 Other Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Dec 29, 2020.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That stunk, Koln was shooting first and up 2-3 after each team took 3 PKs, Koln missed their next two while Regensburg converted their last two, to advance 4-3.

3. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    All will be forgiven if Koln can collect the Helmond on Saturday. :thumbsup:

4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That other trophy Bayern recently squandered?

unclesox repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brutal troll by Burger King in Spain as Hazard picks up another injury (4-6 weeks). :ROFLMAO:

This guy didn't really seem to have injury problems at Chelsea and now he is what Dembele was (cross fingers). What a fantastic signing !!!

1356651090327056389 is not a valid tweet id

ShortyMac repped this.
  6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Liverpool another lost.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I wonder if he can pull a Robben or Sneijder and recover from the Madrid curse(?). I don’t think he has the passion and drive in him that those two have, though. He seems more like Ozil, lol

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And just like that, Barca is having a better season than Liverpool. Playing more attractive football than them too.

unclesox and evil_allan repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So it looks like Neymar has renewed his contract with PSG. Basically takes it to the end of his career unless he has some contract buyout deal. The guy has boxed himself into a CL player. Nobody pays attention football wise unless it's a CL (or Brazil in WC) game. Wasted career ... even if he ends up winning it there.

Di Maria said today there is a good chance Messi goes to PSG. Ahole thing to say ... but I do wonder if there is something to it. Wouldn't make Messi persona non-grata, but would still be disappointed if he ends up going there and I'd wish nothing but failure CL wise.

unclesox, BocaFan and ShortyMac repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Money talks, but does Messi really need another $200 million? No idea why he would want to go to PSG. If he wants to leave Barca, City v PSG seems like a no-brainer. Even though City has a great team, Messi would still be the star there. Going to PSG, as you imply, would basically mean that Messi has a little more than a dozen relevant matches left in his career.

11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Messi out here wanting to be a billionaire. Can’t say I blame him. :p

Seriously though, I don’t really know where I stand with the whole Messi situation. I mean, he has been doing much better of late, seems like he’s playing with hunger again and showing us how much we still need him.

If he ends up leaving I just hope we have a good plan in place. Which atm is much harder than it ever was due to the financial ramifications as a result of this pandemic.
    Either that or we just accept that it’s gonna hey ugly before it gets good. Much like Madrid’s transitional period post-Ronaldo.

If anything can be learned from the Madrid situation is that there is no direct replacement for the best player on the planet. Heck, we’ve been through it as well with Neymar and Dembele.

The solution is to share the load aming very talented players. We have a head-start compared to Madrid with the likes of Araujo, Dest, Frenkie, Puig, Pedri, Dembele, Trincao and Fati already playing (semi) regularly together.

BocaFan repped this.
  12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi's move won't be about money. Doesn't mean he won't demand big pay.

13. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    It won’t ONLY be about money. Cause like you said, he will demand big pay, and rightly so. Money won’t be the main motivator but it certainly plays a role as he won’t go for something that he doesn’t believe he’s worth.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Athletic with a 92nd minute goal to tie Betis 1-1. Going to extra-time.

I don't really want to play Raul Garcia and Co. 2 more times but I guess its good that Betis are also going to extra-time (since Barca play them on Sunday).

15. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still tied, little over 5 minutes till PKs. Tello on very late.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Canales first to miss (Betis' #10). Then Juanmi misses for Betis.

Bilbao up 3-1 after three kicks each.

.. And Athletic convert again. 4/4. On to the semis for them.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Athletic have now won 11 cup ties in-a-row! Nine in the CdR and two in the Spanish Super Cup. :eek:

ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One trophy to show for it so far (beating us in Super Cup), in 2019/20 Copa final with La Real (is that scheduled yet - Looks like April 3rd in Sevilla: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Copa_del_Rey_Final), and in 2020/21 semis with us, Sevilla, and Levante. Two legged semi (home and away, with away goal tie breaker) Feb 10th and March 3rd (luck of the draw for order of home and away). Final 17th of April in Sevilla. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Copa_del_Rey

BocaFan repped this.
  19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i think it depends on what Messi's priority is.

if his priority is personal glory, adventure, and to prove himself outside of his comfort zone, then City would be the clear choice as the EPL is at a much higher competitive level than the french league, and the whole world watches.

if his priority is to lift another Champions League trophy, it could go either way but City would probably be the better bet because they have a stronger and more mature, serious, sporting project, whereas Pochettino hasn't even unpacked his luggage yet.

but if Messi thinks the only thing left that matters to him professionally is the World Cup, then i think PSG actually has a strong argument for being the better destination for him. WC22 will be Messi's last chance at a WC. so spending the next season and a half (WC22 will be november-december 2022) in France where the competition is less brutal; where he can let Neymar and Mbappe share the pressures of the spotlight both on and off the field; where he can get cozy with the very people who are also organizing the WC in Qatar (ahem); where he can sit out half the league matches and focus on making sure he is at his physical peak going into november 2022... that makes a lot of sense to me. on the other hand, 1.5 seasons in the EPL could leave him drained physically, and another 1.5 seasons at Barca could drain him emotionally.

he's got nothing left to prove at club level, so i can see him basing his decision solely on setting himself up for November 2022, after which he can hang up his boots and ride off into the sunset with Antonella and the boys. :cool:

Gilmango repped this.
  20. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, first time holding the Helmond for Koln I believe? Plus 4 points clear of the drop zone / playoff now.

BocaFan and unclesox repped this.
  21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    All is forgiven. :)

Not only did the three points help move them further away from the drop zone...
    Not only was this win achieved against their fierce regional rivals...
    Not only did this victory make up for getting knocked out of the DFB-Pokal by a second division side...
    This crucial triumph also brought to 1. FC Köln a trophy that not even Real Madrid can claim to have ever placed their soiled grubby hands on: The important, prominent, impressive, respected, famed, much celebrated and prestigious trophy known to man in the history of not only civilization but of the entire Universe itself - The Helmond Cup.
    Tis a grand day, indeed! :thumbsup:

Helmond Cup update:

Borussia Mönchengladbach 1:2 Köln

Next:
    Sunday 14 February
    Bundesliga, 21. Spieltag
    Eintracht Frankfurt v Köln

evil_allan, ShortyMac and Gilmango repped this.
  22. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Haaland should join us. Dortmund has declined surely.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. If he accepts peanuts as payment. :ROFLMAO: