Irish in Britain - Sept. 13/14. (Many R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Frank Leboeuf?

And BTW, Roque Junior with Finn Harps would be just like Socrates with UCD - relegated to the 2nds. :)

2. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    I saw the Leeds match and thought Kelly was poor but like you say certainly not the worst Leeds player on show last night. If it wasn't for their keeper and the woodwork it could have been 6 or 7 nil. If Leeds really are that bad, they'll be relegated this season no question.

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Connolly scored two for West Ham tonight.

Sean Thornton was sent off for Sunderland, and Gary Breen was taken off at half time in their 3-1 loss to Stoke.

Andy Reid scored for Nottingham again.

Duff didn't start for Chelsea in Prague, but was brought on and changed the match in the second half, and set up Chelsea's winning goal.

John O'Shea played for United v Panathinaikos.

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Michael Keane and Steve Staunton also had goals tonight. And Carlisle lost 2-0, they played 6 Irishmen.

5. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    In the bit of the match I saw O'Shea seemed to have one of those excellent games he has for Man Utd. Exactly the sort of form he struggles to show (yet) for Ireland.

6. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, to be fair, he has only played a handful of games and in various positions. His best is certainly yet to come in the Ireland jersey.

Did anybody see the Chelsea V Spurs game on saturday? Duff was the best player on the pitch and Ranieri hauled him off with 20 minutes to go!?!?
    If he does things like that then problems are just around the corner for a team with such a talented squad. Surely those playing well should remain on the pitch?

7. Pat Mustard

Pat Mustard New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ireland
    Did anybody see the Chelsea V Spurs game on saturday? Duff was the best player on the pitch and Ranieri hauled him off with 20 minutes to go!?!?

I was at that game and also saw the TV highlights which showed Duff up in a good light. For long long periods of the game he never got a kick of it (played in the hole rather than out wide) although on each of the about four times that he did get on the ball he seemed to beat two or three players on long mazy runs, one of which led to Mutu's first. Overall he was quite impressive and certainly one of the better players on the pitch but Mutu was on a different planet to all the rest of them including Duff. I just hope we don't get Romania if we make the play-offs .... he'd murder Breeney and the boys with his movement, pace and finishing although his first touch did let him down once or twice not that it mattered.

As regards Stephen Carr, I'm afraid the fears expressed here and elsewhere since he came back are well founded. His acceleration over the first five yards is gone which means he's not able to get past people anymore. Finnan's a better bet a right full now.

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Stack is on the bench for Arsenal v Inter, and Miller is on the bench for Celtic in Munich.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    66th minute substitution at the Olympic Stadium in Munich: Coming off Neil Lennon, coming on Liam Miller.

10. Zacatecas

Zacatecas New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Any word on how Miller played?

This is promising, playing in a CL match has got to give him a look into the Irish team, considering the likes of Healy is not even a starter in the First Div.

11. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    I was at the game last night but didn't see much of Miller. BTW he came on for Hartson not Lennon.

His introduction corresponded with Celtics collapse in the last 20 minutes so he had to stay back and defend mostly. He showed a couple of nice touches and got stuck in the middle, he's not afraid to tackle which is promising. But like you say a great experience for him to play a CL game at the Olympic Stadion.