Irelands greatest football victories

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by damienoftherovers, Nov 12, 2004.

1. damienoftherovers

damienoftherovers New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Ireland
    I'm sure I saw this DVD advertised during the France match but I can't find anything about it anywhere. Anyone know anything about it?

2. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Ireland's most memorable victory was 94 wc when Ireland trashed Italy. I remember how Italians got depressed whn they lost the game

3. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was certainly a memorable win but, one-nil hardly constitutes a "thrashing".

4. pingudoDELETED

pingudoDELETED New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Irish victory over Italy at the 94 WC was certainly one the most memorable!

5. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    The England game - Stuttgart 88. First ever tournament finals game, unforgettable!

6. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    They showed it all on RTE on the day of the France game. Some good old footage but some truly logic defying choices on there. I think they had to get a certain amount of Kerr matches in or something.

7. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    Ireland beating Holland in Holland ... that put us in the WC for Japan/Korea and it gave Holland their walking papers. I was lucky enough to be there and the sense of pride and love in the stands was unmatchable. We felt like world beaters on that day.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hmmm.......must have been rather lonely in Amsterdam when Ireland was beating Holland in Dublin; still, I'm sure the beer was good, albeit the craic missing..........................

9. Philo

Philo New Member

May 31, 2004
    Dublin
    Ireland beat Holland 1-0 in Dublin but drew 2-2 in Amsterdam (threw away a 2 goal lead).

I was really in Amsterdam for both matches but couldn't tell you if beer existed those weekends.

10. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Sorry , yes we tied in Holland... but we won the right to go to the WC with that draw..so in my mind we won. Classic match none the less.

11. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  12. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    LOL was a great performance and pity we threw away the 2 goal cushion. The best game I've seen was the return game in Lansdowne. It wasn't our best performance and Overmars was destroying us and got poor Gaz Kelly sent off, but fair play we stuck with it and Jason popped up with a classic goal. I'll never forget the atmosphere in Lansdowne that day.

But our best victory has to be Stuttgart in '88.

13. BoysInGreen

BoysInGreen New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    That DVD, anyone know if they sell a version playable in the US? Also.. I've been wanting to get that DVD "Rising Sun", which covered Ireland in WC 2002, anyone know if they sell a US playable version of that either?

While I'm at it, been wanting to get a DVD player that plays DVDs from Europe in the US, any of ye have one or have a link to a reliable one?

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Most of the DVD's for sale here are multi region now. You can pick them up for as little as €60.

15. BoysInGreen

BoysInGreen New Member

Dec 13, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    Great to hear, thanks for the quick reply.

16. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To be sure, to be sure ;)

17. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    did Gary Breen ever score the winning goal in a match for Ireland? if he did, then that is, without doubt, Ireland's greatest football victory.

18. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He scored the last against Saudi Arabia in the WC!! We all dream of a team of Gary Breens.

19. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You can "decode" your DVD player to play DVDs from any region. There was a thread on this a while back in the TV/Movies forum. Or do a search on google.

20. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    shhhhh you're ruining for him

21. bene

bene New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Italy in '94 was memorable but for me Stuttgart '88 was mighty--brought a tear to my eye it did.

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    ...No, the draw in Holland came a year before the Lansdowne win, before the Portugal matches, and at least 2 others. Don't know if you are sorely mistaken or just bad at lying, but the draw a way beforehand.

I say Italy in '94, since I was only 2y/o in 1988. 1-0 vs. Holland with 10 is a VERY close 2nd.

23. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    England '88, Italy '94, Holland '01 were along with Germany draw '02 and penalties v' Romania '90 are my happiest memories as an Irish fan, but in alot of those games we were defending for large periods and the opposition woulda considered themselves unlucky (England, Italy and Holland).
    The best performance in my opinion we've ever put in was the 2-0 over Croatia, a team who had just finished 3rd in world cup! We played them off the park that day

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I was at the game & the great party afterwards at the racetrack! Years later, I met the driver of the Italian team's bus - he was Irish! He said that the Italian coach just kept repeating "murder", "murder" as they drove back to the training camp. Later on, he learned that the actual word was the Italian word for "Sh!t").
    Even though it was a great win, Ireland couldn't handle the heat of Orlando vs. Mexico & Holland, while Italy got to the final match.