Ireland v Switzerland - Pre match thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Where they had Manny Rameriz, Garciaparra and Pedro- we have John O'SHEA, Kilbane and Robbie- it aint as easy to believe!!!

2. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    O'Shea is awful, Kilbane isn't great but at least works his socks off... by why the hatred for Robbie Keane? Sure, he misses some he should put away, but he is our best forward by a distance and at the age of 25, our all-time leading goalscorer.

I don't get the hatred for Robbie going on amongst some Spurs and Irish fans - all of whom loved him 2 years ago. Even a fair amount of the young Irish players can't stand him (as I was told by Ipswich's Sean Wright outside Spirit nightclub one night a while back... long story).

3. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Ok well Harp hasnt got an 's' and is from the North- which is a different country!! Also Ronnie couldn't get a game at Middlesborough or Juventus (or for that matter thier feeder team in Switzerland- o think- that they sent him out to) and as much as id like him to be the answer to our probs he aint.

But Come on you boys in green!!! Ill be there tomo screaming my f-ing head off- hopefully the atmosphere will inspire the lads?

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Lucky divil! I've tried everywhere to find a ticket, but just chose the worst time to be low on cash.

5. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin
    Nah I dont hate him- in fact i know his missus and hes a nice bloke, but he is over rated (and ive always held this belief) and part of his prob as ive said b4 here is that he knows hes our best player and so maybe doesnt try as hard as b4., but Pedro Martinez- is a f-ing legend, has won game pretty much single handedly- Robbie may well have the ability to, but doesnt. I lived in Boston for 4 months and went to see him 3 times and the man was unbelieveable- not soccer i know, but i didnt bring up the baseball

6. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So I take it you havent seen him play for Dallas.

Pity. Whatever he did or didnt do at his previous clubs doesnt matter now, its how he is playing now that matters. He has been one of the top 4-5 midfielders in MLS the last few years but we all know that life doesnt exist outside the English Premiership for Brian Kerr.

7. Reverie

Reverie New Member

May 24, 2005
    Yeah, the blokes in the visitors dressing room.We're going to win. Even the bookies agree. Ireland are 1.90. 3.25 the draw with the yodelers 3.60.

8. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No, No, No, and No.
    That was what I liked a few years ago, I know McAteer and Kinsella have retired, Keano is injured, know he doesnt play on the wing. That was just an outline for what I used to like. I think Carr should start over Breen, and maybe Harte should start. Damien Duff is very over-rated, but that does NOT mean he is not good. Everyone is acting like he is some sort of god, but in reality he is just one of the many strong players from Ireland. And it was Maik Taylor, anyone see his match agaisnt Arsenal? And no, I am not clueless about Ireland (any other Americans here know who won the Gaelic Football and Hurling finals?), My Homepage? www.fai.ie, my background? http://home.eircom.net/javascript/Ewishes/cyprus/wallpaper/wallpaper_1024.html, AND THAT F***ING FORMATION WAS WHAT I LIKED AT WC 2002, AND THE MIDFIELDERS WERE IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER. Anyway, now that we all have calmed down, many people have been doubting Ireland, which makes me angry. However, Ireland are under-rated, which can be helpful. BillyIreland, where do you live in Dublin, I was there this summer and maybe I passed you by or something and are you going to the game? Glad to clear this all up and Éire go brách (yes that is the correct way, it is not Erin go bragh, which is the anglicanized version).

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    No the bookies don't agree. Odds follow the amount of money being bet, not what the bookies think are realistic outcomes.

If you want to proof this to yourself, go the track and put 10,000 quid on some long shot nag and see what happens to his odds.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I don't have much left these days......but i do get a hell of a sun burn....if I'm not carefull....

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

it does if you've had more than one....I have...many times.....I'm tellin' yer....Ronnie O'Brian can play...and can certainly play for this Ireland.

12. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    i hope that you are joking there mate!
    eire boy!!!!

13. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    anyway today is an interesting day...i could lose my job......maybe end up going to poland...and trying to get somwhere where i can either watch/listen to the game...in china!!!! and my internet is down since i havent paid my bills...and im drunk now and there is still fcuking more than 12 hours to kick off

we just have to believe

and can i tell you guys...to get into the mood and spirit of things i suggest we all download the irish footy songs that Father Ted Mod put up.
    the post.....Put 'em Under Pressure and other famous Irish footie songs......
    ...i will be blaring them out tonight at 300 in the morning...waking up all the china men
    there is only 2 irish guys in this sh it hole of a town!!! but plenty of whiskey

come on!!!!!!

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You do know that he can NEVER play for Ireland? It's like talking up the benefits of playing Toldo as back-up.

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    life can and does exist outside the EPL, perhaps even on mars, but hardly can be said to be found on outlying planets like uranus, neptune, or the MLS. i was at an earthquakes-galaxy match last year, and the level was not quite what you see with the OL reserves.

it goes even farther than that. sports books start the odds at what they feel the traffic will bear, and go from there. if you check the odds in switz, you'll see something entirely different. as for the £10K on a nag, that's more than true. you put that kind of change on a longshot and "intelligent" betters watching the board shoot up like that think a fix is on and follow your money. before the starting gates clangs open you'll see £50K riding on your future dogmeat.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i have to humbly retract my statement about the odds offered on the continent: it's ireland 1,90 and switzerland 3,70 here.

17. Reverie

Reverie New Member

May 24, 2005
    I stand corrected on the crucial point that the the odds follow the money rather than reflect the bookies thinking but am chuffed that the Swiss odds are even longer over there! And that might be after a solitary punter risked 100 francs on his homeboys. I'm tellin' yis all to gird up them sagging loins of litle faith.There will this day be a mighty smiting, beyond all measure, and the doling thereof will be at our hand.

18. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I reazlise that he has never played for them, but are you sure that he COULD NOT if he wanted to? I am pretty sure that he is Northern Irish, which means if any of his grandparents were born in any part of Ireland before the Easter Rising (I am pretty sure this is correct), or just born in Ireland at all, he would be eligible (think Clinton Morrison, who is also eligble for England and Jamaica). Keep in mind, THAT WAS WHAT I LIKED 4 YEARS AGO, AND IRELAND SINCE THEN HAS ALMOST NEVER HAD TO USE A BACKUP KEEPER BECAUSE GIVEN HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE. I have never seen any other Irish keeper play, (how would I? I am in america, all I get is the highlights from online) and have heard Paddy Kenny is good, but he is not consistent, so that is why.

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    LMAO !!....what the F__K is a broke, drunk, Irishman who supports barcelona while on his way to Poland doing living in China ? and I thought I'd had an interesting life....

20. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well, the big day has arrived. God, I'm nervous.

If we do make the playoffs, there are other matches today that could directly affect our fate. The playoffs will be seeded according to FIFA ranking (if we make it, we can be thankful that Kerr took all those friendlies so seriously, since those are what kept our ranking reasonable). Obviously, we want the poorest teams possible to be in the playoffs such that we can be seeded. With that in mind, here are the matches that are of interest to us today: (we'll assume Sweden beats Iceland, and along with England take the best runners up qualifying spot).

Group 1:
    Finland vs Czech Republic. A Finnish win or draw here would put Romania, whom we are ranked ahead of, in the playoffs. Come on FINLAND!

Group 2: Whoever gets into the playoffs here, be it Turkey, Greece or Denmark, are ranked ahead of us.

Group 3: Slovakia vs Russia. I'd fancy us against the Slovaks rather than a trip to Moscow in November. A Slovakian win or draw will put them in the playoffs. Come on SLOVAKIA! We are ranked ahead of both teams.

Group 4: If we don't beat the Swiss, this is all irrelevant.

Group 5: Norway are in the playoffs. We are ranked ahead of them.

Group 7: We want to avoid Spain in the playoffs. We want them to thrash San Marino. 5 or more goals. Then, we want Bosnia to get a result in Serbia. I would not put this past the Bosnians. Either they or Serbia will be in the playoffs.

So, if results go our way, the playoffs will look like this:

Seeded:
    Turkey (less likeley Denmark or Greece)
    Ireland
    Romania

Unseeded:
    Norway
    Slovakia
    Serbia (less likely Bosnia)

To sum up: the most important matches in terms of playoff seedings:

Finland vs Czech Republic (FINLAND!!!)
    Serbia and Montenegro vs Bosnia (BOSNIA!!!)

We really need only one of these games to go our way to be seeded.

But as I said, none of this matters if we don't beat the Swiss. So come on you BOYS IN GREEN!

21. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Nice work, pmannion. :cool:

22. bennocelt

bennocelt Member

Jun 1, 2005
    wales
    for the love of god
    i dont give a flying ******** who we get
    if we get a playof spot ...thats enough FOR THE TIME BEEN!!!!!!!!!

23. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  24. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    For anyone who has PPLive, rumour is that Shanghai Sports will show the match.

Not certain, though.

25. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I dont want to get into a "MLS Sucks" battle again, the only thing I will say on the subject is that at the last world cup, the french players were watching on tv the quarter finals which had a team of mostly mls players .