Ireland v Switzerland - Pre match thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rather than opening the old thread, probably easier to start a new one for the Swiss game.

Can we do it?
    Discuss here.

2. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Hopefully. But probably not, unless I missed something I presume this will be the starting line-up:

Given
    Finnan-Cunnigham-Dunne-O'shea ( :rolleyes: )
    Reid-Keano-Kavanagh\Holland\ :confused: -Kilbane ( :eek: )
    Robbie-Clinton

I'm beginning to think we're doomed.

3. Dirty Nelly

Dirty Nelly New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    "You'll never beat the Irish"

Come on lads, positive thoughts

4. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Who thought we could beat the English in 88?

Whno thought we would get to the quarters of Italia 90?

Who thought we would beat the Italians in 1994?

Who thought we would beat the Dutch in 2001?

Who thought we would escape our WC02 group after losing Roy Keane?

We almost always perform better with our backs up against the wall, and even though we will have to perform a LOT better come Wednesday it is far from impoissible. Infact, it's quite logical to think many of our players, and indeed our management, overlooked the Cypriots because they were so desperate to beat the Swiss.

Heads up lads, at least for the next 3 days.

5. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cmon Ireland, keep the French out! :D

6. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    :rolleyes: An irish victory or even a draw would qualify France ...

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    A draw was my prediction.
    I thought Ireland would do well to get out of the group.

I expected at least a draw and won a bit of money betting on a win.

Great game; I expected a win beforehand, but it sure was a nerve wracking struggle.

With Keane I had thought Ireland had a shot at the semis; without, I expected R16 or quarters.

My biggest problem with the team under Kerr is that it has never played with passion, it has never allowed the fans to believe that it could slay a giant, it has never looked like anything other than a collection of 11 players and not a team. The 2-0 loss to Switzerland in the final game of the Euro '04 qualifiers was about as bad as I have seen an Irish team ever play, and that includes some of the bad old days in the 70s and 80s. Saturday's game wasn't too far behind that performance.

Albania, with a last minute own-goal, has been the biggest scalp under Kerr, and beating Cyprus and The Faeroes has been the biggest achievement in this group. In any other group, with results like that Ireland would be long out of the running. And while I'd like to see the Swiss turned over on Wednesday, what has this team shown to date to make anyone believe they have the beating of a decent team within its capabilities?

If Ireland plays against the Swiss as they did against Cyprus, then the only question is how many goals can Ireland hold Switzerland to? An improved performance is vital, but you really have to wonder from where is it going to come?

Quinn and Staunton excepted, it is very difficult to believe that this is the team that should have beaten Spain in Korea a little over three years ago. Some players may have gone a little past the sell by date (Keane, Cunningham maybe?) but how has the team deteriorated so much and so far from the WC '02 performances?

Other than blind hope, there's nothing makes me believe that Ireland will come out the right side of the scoreline on Wednesday. And even if they do, based on performance, even Iran again in the playoffs would be a bridge too far.

8. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Assuming the French win...

I'll be in Ireland for St. Paddy's day - hopefully by then a World Cup-bound country!

My ideal: Ireland win, France loss = Ireland + Israel advance. ;)

9. jambon-beurre

jambon-beurre Member

Mar 12, 2005
    France
    But if France can not beat Cyprus at home when the match is a decisive one, then I'll think I won't even be disappointed not to qualify as we would just not deserve to qualify. Anyway, good luck for Wednesday (and I say it sincerely :p)

10. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I'd wish you good luck, but that'd be a bit excessive - I want you to draw and us to win so we get through automatically and you go through via playoffs. Let's just say that I don't wish you bad luck :)

11. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin

You have missed something. Roy is injured. Also altho I'd prob prefer your right hand side I suspect Carr will start again.

I suspect- Centre midfield will be Holland and Kavanagh, with A. Reid on right if Kilbane plays and I think he will or on left if Stephen Reid plays.

12. fearmor123

fearmor123 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Dublin

Except 13 months ago when we had to beat the Swiss to qualify and were bloody awful!! Or if anyone can remember last Saturday when we needed a convincing win against Cyprus to give us hope and confidence adn were steamrolled for 85mins.
    I'm normally really optimistic about our chances adn did feel at the time we could win all of the games you mentioned in your text, but this Wed I aint sure- Please please God (edit Kerr, Kilbane, Robbie, O'Shea as wish here) prove me wrong!!

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I know, it looks pretty bleak, but funnier things have happened at Lansdowne... it really is nothing but blind faith, but we've got to keep our heads up for the next 53-odd hourse, at least. ;) Kerr or no Kerr, O'Shea or no O'Shea, Duff or Duffless, if there's any national team known to overcome the odds, it's us.

14. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Good luck guys. I'm now your biggest fans. 1-0 at Landsdowne will be just fine by me. I'm buying a Jersey for the match on Wednsday. France and Ireland in Germany. Come on guys!

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    OH SH!T!!!

Anybody with Digital (or access to Sky Sports News) might want to flick over there... they're showing a video of shay Given having broken down in training a few minutes ago. They said he later limped off on his own power, but if Given is gone... so are we. He has got to be our most important player (and I've held this opinion since long before the Cyprus match).

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    according to zidane's voices, ireland is on a mission from god now! it's win, nil or go straight to hell boyz!

17. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whatever optimism I had is gone. New prediction: Ireland 0-2 Switzerland. 2 by Frei. Just like Basel 2003.

Switzerland qualify for the world cup. France do so through the playoffs. Ireland prepare for a very difficult 2008 campaign.

Still, as long as there is some hope, I'll cling to it.

COME ON YE BOYS IN GREEN

18. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not good:
    [​IMG]

http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2005/1010/1127148490534_1128952623569.html

However I feel confident in this guy:
    [​IMG]

On the game itself, forgetting the previous results in this campaign, if someone told me at the start of the campaign that it would come down to winning the final game to get to the playoffs, I would have been happy.

Let's forget how we played on Saturday, what matters now is the game on Wednesday. Switzerland are no world beaters. I think we will go out and put in a good performance. Now is not the time for calling for Kerr to go. We can start that if we dont win but until then we should rally around the team 100%.

We will win 3-1.

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Take Duff, take Reid, just please let us have Given at full fitness...

I can't see Kerr starting with Kilbane on the left wing - despite taking him off at half-time in the Cyprus match I think Finnan will keep his place. I'd prefer to see Andy Reid on the left anyway. I'm undecided regarding Kavanagh versus Holland. Kav was useless at controlling the midfield last time round and we looked more secure with Holland on...that, on the other hand, is Holland's only major plus point. He's been anonymous so many times in the past and Kavanagh is a much better ball player - and we need goals. I'll stick with Kavanagh, although I wouldn't be surprised (or too disappointed) to see Holland in instead. If we get Kavanagh AND Holland AND Kilbane, then all hell will break loose.

----------------------------Given----------------------------

--Carr-----------Dunne---------Cunningham (c)------O'Shea--

--Finnan--------Kavanagh---------Kilbane----------A. Reid--

--------------------Morrison----------Keane----------------

20. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd put in Holland and leave Kilbane on the bench.

21. SERVETTE RIP

SERVETTE RIP New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I cxan't believe what I'm reading guys! This thread is absolutely hilarious! :) I don't think I've ever seen supporters which such blind fatalism... I'm a Swiss supporter, and while I'm quite happy with our recent performances and reasonably confident, I rationally would not consider us as favourites, and an Irish victory would not really be the kind of colossal upset you guys seem to be describing. When I read this thread I have the impression that the match is gonna be Liechtenstein-Brazil or something.
    Just look at the facts fellow Irishmen: all your players play in one of the best, arguably even the best league in the world, you have a world class striker and goalkeeper (certainly not our case as far as gk is concerned), guys like Read, Finnan, O'Shea are proper quality... And you're playing in the legendary Lansdowne Road, with one of the best crowd of suppporters in the world and the mythical Irish fighting spirit...
    We on the other hand have a team of unexperienced younsgters, many of our players are regularly warming the benches of teams around europe, while others are playing in the tiny Swiss League...
    So what happened to the Celtic warriors? Heads held high my friends, this will be a monumental battle and wish from the bottom of my heart that my beloved Switzerland will triumph, but from my persepective a victory in Ireland would be an incredible result!!!

22. Borruma

Borruma Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Dublin
    Wait a minute.. a guy who struggles to get a full game for Spurs is world class, he is a good striker no doubt, but world class? Unless I'm mistaken and you're talking about Clinton Morrison.

Who now looks to be injured.

Oshea quality.. hilarious.

You're right about the rest, but didn't you beat us the last time, we're even worse now, I've seen all our matches so far except one, the game in Paris and I really can't think of a good performance which lasted for more than 15\20 minutes...

23. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  24. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
  25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You leave Liechtenstein out of this. ;)

They just finished their best campaign ever and improved a great deal recently compared with other minnows.