Ireland v Germany/Poland (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Oct 6, 2015.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The end of another qualifying campaign is upon us. Contrary to our predictions four months ago, Ireland are still in with a shout of a playoff place at the very least, thanks not so much to outstanding results on our own part, but rather Scotland's meltdown in Tbilisi. All we have to do to ensure a playoff is match Scotland's result vs Poland.

That said, these two matches are extremely difficult, and the injury picture for Ireland isn't looking good. Seamus Coleman is almost certainly out, and today doubts emerged over Wes Hoolahan's fitness. We'll still have O'Shea and McCarthy through the spine of the team, but with Whelan and McClean suspended for Germany, it's starting to look more like a second-string XI. If we are to be a bit pessimistic (realistic?), and assume that we won't pick up three points against the World Champions, then our hopes of automatic qualification are slim, and our hopes of a playoff place dependent on matching Scotland's result vs Poland in Glasgow. Dare we be greedy and hope for a draw there, giving us some chance of automatic qualification in Warsaw on Sunday? Not me. I hope Lewandowski and co. trounce the Scots, making our match in Warsaw on Sunday an easy-going dead rubber (probably a dull 0-0 draw). We'll take our chances in the playoffs.

Republic of Ireland squad:
    David Forde (Milwall), Shay Given (Stoke City), Darren Randolph (West Ham United); Richard Keough (Derby County), Seamus Coleman (Everton), Cyrus Christie (Derby County), John O’Shea (Sunderland), Alex Pearce (Derby County), Paul McShane (Reading), Stephen Ward (Burnley), Robbie Brady (Norwich City), Marc Wilson (Stoke City); James McCarthy (Everton), Jeff Hendrick (Derby County), Glenn Whelan (Stoke City), Aiden McGeady (Everton), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion), Alan Judge (Brentford), David Meyler (Hull City), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Eunan O’Kane (Bournemouth), Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy), Shane Long (Southampton), Daryl Murphy (Ipswich Town), Jonathan Walters (Stoke City), Kevin Doyle (Colorado Rapids), David McGoldrick (Ipswich Town).

Dyvel repped this.
  2. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The internets tell me it will be on ESPN3. Which means I can watch it while I'm at work. On my iPod. Mad stuff.

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Coleman is out, but Hoolahan and Gibson are available for selection. O'Neill says that Coleman should be ready for Poland on Sunday.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4 Father Ted, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Cyrus Christie to RB now, right? I also read that Wilson is out so we re really short at the back. My guess:

Given
    Christie-O'Shea-Keogh-Brady
    McCarthy-Hendrick
    Walters-Hoolahan-McGeady
    Long

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you guys ready for Göziller?
    [​IMG]

;):ROFLMAO:

6. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is Coleman that big of a loss? He's a great player but do any of you remember any stand out performance when he's wearing green?

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    damn. didn't see that result coming

8. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    They were ready.......

[​IMG]

Dage repped this.
  9. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wow some performance that was. Probably the best result since Holland in 2001 and perhaps even better than that. The no-name players really stepped it up - Christie, Keogh, Randolph.

10. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It wasn't as good as the Dutch result.

1. That was for the WC