Ireland v Estonia (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Oct 13, 2011.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    November 11th and 15th. Euro 2012 Qualification Playoff: Ireland v Estonia.

Dream draw? Or potential banana skin? Or both?

Discuss here.

Personally I dont want to say too much until I've read more about this Estonian team, but I think it's a far easier draw than Turkey or Bosnia would have been.

2. flem16

flem16 Rainmaker

Jan 9, 2005
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the draw we want but now we have to go out and finish the job. Estonia's not going to rollover and make it easy, especially with the first leg at home. We need an away goal in the first match.

3. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It´s exactly the draw that Trap wanted Estonia with the second leg at home. Much easier than going to Turkey for a second leg showdown. Ireland have the players it is just a question of belief and Trap letting them play.

I don´t think Keane is a big loss at the moment but Doyle will be.

4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Let's not forget that Estonia are also happy with this draw, considering they could have had Portugal or Croatia.

5. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After the tough luck from the last relegation qualifiers (France), you guys deserve to be rather fortunate this time. I've got no doubt you'll make it to Poland/Ukraine! ;)

6. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Dream draw for both teams.

Estonia is playing above their heads, make no mistake about it. It seems to me that they have had the luck of the Irish on their side.

7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    First big piece of injury news. Shane Long will almost certainly miss both legs - he is out for six weeks with knee damage from Alan Hutton's savage tackle this weekend.

Keane, though, looks like he will just about make it if reports from Los Angeles are to be believed, though.

So who should start up front? Keane and Cox will be the favourites, but I thought Jon Walters' cameo against Armenia was excellent, and he has been in top form for Stoke City.

8. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Time for a return to the camp of Leon Best?

9. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can't understand why Best is not around the team full-time. He is a regular for a team in the top six in the PL, which lifts him to a level above everyone else.

10. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Trappatoni claims his doesn't drop back and defend when necessary, will only play in the final third.

11. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But he is playing at a high level and has scored goals. Stokes scored again yesterday but is ignored for similar reasons.

12. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I agree, Trappatoni seems to hold his grudges in formaldehyde, much like Charlton.

Andy Reid was never such a bad player that he should not have been able to make an Irish squad. Stokes, Best and there are one or two others whom I know I'm forgetting. Stephen Ireland was self-inflicted, but dear old Trap does seem to have a penchant for falling out with players - but not his stars like Keane, Duff, Given and Dunne, you'll notice.

Bit of the bully there - pick the players you think are good-ish and make an example, but not the stars because that would alienate the public.

13. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He has got a system that he plays against everyone whether they are Andorra or Brazil. Two midfield destroyers, two wide me who work back and two strikers who work across the opposition back four when the opposition has the ball.

It has made Ireland hard to beat, and you could argue that the system works for the players at his disposal, but he needs a plan B against teams that they need to break down and he just does'nt put his faith in players that won't run around at a million miles an hour.

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    An obviously injured Shane Long who may not even be fit, a perhaps dodgy Robbie Keane and a suspended for the 1st leg Kevin Doyle are preferred to Stokes, Best et al. Hmmmmmm...............

Goalkeepers: Given (Villa), Westwood (Sunderland), Forde (Milwall).

Defenders: O'Shea (Sunderland), Kelly (Fulham), Ward (Wolves), Dunne (Villa), St Ledger (Leicester), O'Dea (Leeds), McShane (Hull).

Midfielders: Whelan (Stoke), McCarthy (Wigan), Coleman (Everton), Andrews (Ipswich), Fahey (Birmingham), Gibson (Man Utd), Keogh (Leeds), Duff (Fulham), McGeady (Spartak Moscow), Hunt (Wolves), Lawrence (Portsmouth).

Forwards: Keane (LA Galaxy), Doyle (Wolves), Long (West Brom), Cox (West Brom), Walters (Stoke).

15. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Are these the official call-ups for the first Estonia match?

16. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes subject to any injuries and call ups over the weekend. O'Shea is now a doubt because of a hamstring injury but Keane came through 80 minutes for LA Galaxy.

17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    WBA saying Long extraordinarily unlikely to be available.

Cue Trappatoni to name another keeper to replace him rather than Best or Stokes.

Because the keeper is better at tracking back.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hey, whaddya know? Best called up.

19. LuckyDay

LuckyDay New Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Trappatoni caught taking advice from bigsoccer forum shocker !!

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    That's what I tell myself anyway! ;)

21. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Leon Best iffy after injury. My goalkeeper fantasy looking good!

22. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  23. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Any ideas on the final squad for the first leg boyos?

Who's in, and more importantly, who's out??

24. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Original squad was:

Given, Westwood, Forde, O'Shea, Kelly, Ward, Dunne, St. Ledger, O'Dea, McShane, Whelan, McCarthy, Coleman, Andrews, Fahey, Gibson, Keogh, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Lawrence, Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters, Cox

Shane Long is out, probably for both legs. Liam Lawrence too. John O'Shea and Leon Best are out for Friday, but it is hoped that they will be back for the Dublin leg on Tuesday.

David Forde has gone back to Millwall, Darren Randolph has been called up as third goalkeeper.

I believe Darren O'Dea is out, too, but I haven't seen confirmation of this.

Today - Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Keith Andrews and Keith Fahey sat out training. But all are expected to be fit come kickoff on Friday night.

Who's nevous?

25. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Estonian squad: I believe Zenjov has since been withdrawn with an injury.

G Artur Kotenko (Ravan Baku) AZE
    G Pavel Londak (Bodo Glimt) NOR
    G Sergei Pareiko (Wisla Krakow POL
    D Tihhon Sisov (Khazar Lankaran) AZE
    D Andrei Stepanov (Gomel) BLR
    D Taavi Rahn (T Songjiang) CHN
    D Alo Barengrub (Nomme JK Kalju) EST
    D Ragnar Klavan (Alkmaar ) NED
    D Raio Piiroja (Vitesse Arnhem) NED
    D Taigo Teniste (Sogndal ) NOR
    D Enar Jaager (Aalesunds) NOR
    M Martin Vunk (Famagusta) CYP