Iraqi Soccer Players Like Americans

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Michael Russ, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Maybe we are winning over some hearts and minds after all.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/2050AP_SOC_Iraq_Youth_Soccer.html

"Yousif said players and their families, like many Iraqis, believe the U.S. had no plan for Iraq after invading the country. He said they generally like Americans but are careful to say so.

"They cannot say what's in their hearts," Yousif said. "Because they are afraid of terrorists and others who hate America."

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Actually, just sounds like a nice guy who wishes he could do his soccer.

3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish he could, too.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope this doesn't mean that they will model their game to emulate that of the US nationals. Imagine, the poor Iraqi players watching tapes of the likes of Cobi Jones and Alexis Lalas. That's the last thing Iraq needs right now.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'll tell ya what... when we bother trying to get everybody in iraq clean water, THEN you can start pimping "the bright side"

6. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We agree on a lot of things, but you are wrong on this one- We are trying to get water to the people and the terrorists are doing their damndest to stop us from doing it.

There are many things that one can rightfully criticize, but the intentions of those on the ground in Iraq to try and provide basic infrastructure items to the populace is not one of them.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Those who spend most waking moments here tend to feel as though they get to make the rules.

8. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
  9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Executive? Can we criticize them for pulling the plug on the monies needed to...what did Bush call it in 2003? Produce "the best in the region"? Can he be hammered, specifically, for making the decision to support a bill (which moved through committee in its current form predicated upon advisement from BushCorp. officials) that:

?

Bush can be blamed directly for the insurgency, imv, as can Rumsfeld; but even if we leave the truth of the insurgent effect aside, can we, as the SL Tribune - author of the above quote as well - does, submit:

as well?

Who is responsible for the lack of a plan, or a shit plan, the gaps in which such conditions - lack of money, widespread corruption, inadequate training, poor maintenance - manifest themselves? Who is responsible?

I understand your above quote; the folks on the ground may in fact be ready to help. But there's more than insurgents barring the way. Their own CINC and the associated Executive - the war president and his cabal - have led the way in producing, from their end, all the conditions that they possibly CAN to STOP effective reconstruction.

Iraq : Can we just leave? No. But can we lead..?

10. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the article you referenced-

"The decision is a tacit admission of the failure of the US rebuilding effort in the face of a relentless insurgency."

This was my point. I don't think you and I really disagree on this. It seems to me that the rebuilding effort was well intentioned and it is unfair to those who tried to execute it despite all the roadblocks to say that we were not trying.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    what made you think i was criticizing the troops on the ground? :confused:

it still boggles my mind to this day that people automatically assume i am referring to the troops when i am referring to the administration, who have ABSOLUTELY NOT made a genuine effort to give these people basic life necessities

fewer iraqi people have water and electricity now than they did when we arrived, but all dillhole wants to talk about is how they built a school somewhere

meanwhile, gajillions of dollars have magically vanished in the accounting of (ahem) certain contractors paid to provide these basic life services

as for your mention of the "relentless insurgency", that was not hampering their "efforts" from the beginning as it is now

bottom line: the new army bases have friggin' burger kings, but over 50% of iraqis don't have clean water

the priorities of this administration have been laid bare for all to see, and i won't have people continue to act as if i am criticizing anyone but them

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Americans are generally affable people - if occasionally boorish. It's our policies that people have a problem with.

13. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    There were 3-0 in prlimary play and lost the next game so they are out not that you guys give a crap.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Well, the fact that you called the insurgency "the terrorists" indicates to me that you see this purely in terms of good guys (us) and bad guys (anyone fighting us). That's why people are confused by your post.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, in general terms it's not about who's fighting who. I'd say that the people who are trying to provide water to civilians are probably the good guys and those who are trying to disrupt the water distribution are probably the bad guys.