Iranian President a hostage taker?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yankee_Blue, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Regardless of the merit of the allegation, which is denied by Ahmadinejad's office as well as denied people who were involved and belong to the other side of the political spectrum in Iran right now (such as Abdi), I want to say that "Iran Focus" is a worthless media which circulates lies. It has no credibility in my eyes.

John Simpson, on the other hand, is respected journalist and his speculation would carry some weight if he was someone who had been to Iran recently. And who had seen Ahmadinejad beyond the pictures of him.

I have seen the alleged photo, incidentally, and while I can't categorically rule it out, I don't think that was Ahmadinejad in the picture.

2. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I think it was, but hey, it was the 1970s!

We all did some crazy things!

3. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I've changed my goatee and hairstyle since my hostage taking days, you think a Politician would have the brains to do it to. The photo looks EXACTLY like him.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    As I said, I won't categorically rule it out. However, I have seen Ahmadinejad pictured standing next to different figures in Iran --- and he is "diminutive" to say the least! He is very short. While the guy in that picture is not tall, unless that hostage was a very short person, he looked much taller than Ahmadinejad.

Besides, I doubt his office would deny that was him in the picture if it true. There are a host of political figures in Iran who were part of the student crowd that was involved in taking the hostages. Many of them have since become reformists. They include Iran's Vice President under Khatami, Ms. Maryam Ektebar (who was the spokesperson for the students, known in the US press as Mary). They include Abdi, the guy who was jailed for a poll he took in conjunction with the Gallop organization suggesting that the majority of Iranians were opposed to Khamenie's position on Iran-US relations. They even include Khatami's brother, a doctor and the running mate of reformist candidate Moin who recently lost the election in Iran.

Ahmadinejad would have little reason to deny his direct involvement if not true, and more so since he has a lot of political opponents who were among the students taking hostages. What he has not denied is that he was in the larger student organization that organized the hostage taking, and there are credible reports that he had advocated taking the Soviet embassy as well!

5. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    awesome if true

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps you can look into and get back to us?

7. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, give IM some time to put his special spin on things.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    IM spins the truth?

9. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002

Look at the picture again, the hostage is probably six inches taller then the twerp who has him by the arm.the hostage appears to have been "forced" to appear shorter (bent knees and crouching) as to not "inflict any damage" on the muslims "masculinity"

10. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should do now what we should have done then- demonstrate the efficacy of strategic bombing neighborhood by neighborhood in Tehran, until every one of the remaining hostage takers and government decision makers is turned over to the US for trial. The Iranian government has never been taken to task for the cowardly way they handled this entire episode.

This is not just a US problem-the invasion of any embassy is a violation of that nation's sovreignty. Iran invaded the US in 1979, and has never apologized or made any reparation. It is an act of war that Carter didn'y have the guts to do anything about. He disgraced not only the US but also all the nation;s that claim the rule of law. When a nation attacks your territory, you are at war. We should finish this war now.

11. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    Of course that may well not be him, only such geniuses like IM can tell.

I ask you old wise IM..
    how do I find Boise?

[​IMG]

12. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    Go rape a native american, terrorist. Running around pretending you have a shred of dignity with an internet "call to arms", isn't nearly as impressive as you'd have yourself believe.

13. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    First, apologize for using the embassy as a base of operations, against the legally elected, democratic government of 1953 Iran. For this act of undeclared warfare, you should calculate what 52 years of democracy would have meant to the Iranian people, and transfer that amount to the Iranian people (preferably in Euros). Second, apologize for the purposeful downing of an Iranian airliner (with innocent women and children aboard), and turn over all those involved for trial in Iran. Third, apologize for providing Saddam Hussein illegal chemical weapons shipments during the Iran-Iraq war, and provide reparations for the hundreds upon thousands of families whose lives you helped destroy. Lastly, apologize for harboring a terrorist puppet in your country after he was disposed of by the people. After you've completed all of the above, we might consider feeling guilty enough about the hostage "crisis" to send you a nice Hallmark card.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have refused to categorically rule out the story, despite very good reasons to do so (denial by Ahmadinejad's office, when he has no reason to deny; denial by his political opponents involved in the whole affair, as well as what I mentioned). The people who like to "spin" are those who don't care about facts are evidence and are ready to jump to their conclusions.

Does anyone here know the facts? No. Even the report that raises the issue doesn't answer it and, if read carefully, clearly suggests that it is unlikely that is the case.

Here is how one of the people who was involved in the incident, Iran's Vice President, has responded to the issue. I post this to highlight that if even reformists in Iran aren't all apologetic about it, why would Ahmadinejad (who has never suggested he opposed the action and indeed wanted the students to take over the Soviet embassy as well) would deny it?

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Sure! Ours will be forthcoming as soon as you send one to Israel.

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this belongs in another thread...., but I find it so odd she couldn't even have voted for herself.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the battle cry of the loser. When you can't come up with a good response you drop down to your normal level and throw the insults.

Hey aren't you supposed to be out chanting "Death to America" about now? Oh wait they don't do that outside Iran. Which of course you don't live in Iran now do you? Cause if you did, we wouldn't ever read your posts here cause they wouldn't let you post here. Or anywhere on the web.

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    At least you admit that the men deserved it, guilty bastards.

19. Letterman

Letterman New Member

May 3, 2004
    Upstate NY
    Coming soon to a neighborhood near you.
    New Islamic revolution that will soon conquer the world
    “Thanks to the blood of the martyrs, a new Islamic revolution has arisen and the Islamic revolution of 1384 [the current Iranian year] will, if God wills, cut off the roots of injustice in the world,” he said. “The wave of the Islamic revolution will soon reach the entire world.”

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which way to face Mecca when I pray?

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What do you mean?? Women in Iran get to vote. Since day one of the revolution. Indeed the suffrage dates back to the 1960s, although during the Shah's time elections to the parliament had become staged and were for show.

If you mean disqualification of women candidates for the presidency, that is one of those things that will quickly change because the constitution itself is not clear on the issue. There are people within the Guardians Council who don't think the constitution bars a woman president and there was even one report by Iran's official news agency (based on the views of one member) that the Guardians Council was considering reversing itself on the issue.

Listen, it is not as if you have had so many women presidents! Or even any prominent women presidential candidates.

If you truly want to understand Iran's election, btw, here is an article that I would highly recommend. It is by an Iranian-American sociologist and professor. It is a longer article, and I can only give some excerpts but I would like you to read it in full.

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unbefreakinlievable.

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see he is bringing up that false airliner story again.
    Hmmm the bodies recovered all had no clothes on them and were dead long before they were planted on that attempted spy plane. He also failed to mention the 2 F-14's that vainly tried to hide in the radar shadow of the plane. And he failed to mention that the plane was encrouching on the US Vessels in a deliberate attempt to draw fire.

But hey, like anything dealing with this guy, the truth is the first casualty....

24. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see what nekounam is writing since he and IM are on my "delete before wasting your time reading" list. His incessant trotting out of this story is one of the reasons, but he'll never stop trotting. It's funny to me how much nek and IM "love" Iran (cradle of democracy and all that ;)) but choose to live somewhere with real freedom.
    Sometimes, I feel sorry for them.