Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Re: Iran glued to TV comedy that tackles tough issues

And I thought Seinfeld was funny.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

You are a riot. BTW, Germany had great symphony orchestras in the 1930s.

3. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Iran-EU hold Talks Amidst Indications the EU Might Agree to Enrichment in Iran

Reaching a negotiated compromise with EU would be really good news for the world. let's hope so.

4. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Also USA still has great artists and thinkers. :p

Satire is a different thing than having great symphony orchestras.

Apple is still different than Orange. Iran 2005 is in no way comparable to Germany 1935.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for posting this, Mani.

Interesting.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

And your original post is still ridiculous and totally false, unless you be believe the writer of the tv show will become the next President or Supreme Leader of Iran.

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How do you translate "Oy, the way Glen Miller played...." in Farsi

8. Blackmail

Blackmail New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    I notice there are a few threads on Iran but I noticed two recent things havn't been brought up....one that there was a public hanging in Iran yesterday and second that they have banned Western music. After the holocaust denial (or partial denial at least) and other comments about Isreal, why are there some people on this board who continue to defend the current Iran regime?

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Because Iran invented Sardinia.

10. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    There is a LOT of western music that should be banned. ;)

As far as the public hanging goes (if there was one) I personally don't see a big difference between that and states executing prisoners. If you support the death penalty (which I don't) then you shouldn't mind it being out in the open. Hell, public executions might actually serve as the deterrent where our current executions do not.

Having said that, I do think Iran's current leader is a nutjob religious zealot, but then again, if we look in the mirror . . . :D

11. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And yet they both remain frothingly anti-semitic, genocidal fruits.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wish you hadn't beat me to the "All in the Family" reference.

13. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    we have a chance to vote our president out every 4 years or impeach him/her if applicable. How does Iran's system work?

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Frankly, I don't know the specifics. I do remember that this guy was elected a few months back, and that there was a field of candidates. There didn't appear to be anything extraordinary about the post-election bitching by the losing parties. So, as far as I know, Iran has regular elections that their citizens decide. Now, of course I know about that whole ruling counsel thing or whatever it is, and while they may have ultimate power in Iran, you asked about their presidential elections.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big fan of the Iranian government, but outside of Isreal, can you name a more democratic state in the middle east?

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Somebody's not drinking enough Kool-Aid. :)

More democratic?

Well, Chimpy, the Dear Leader, would have you believe Afghanistan and Iraq.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Iran bans Rock n' Roll!

This reminds me of the old Clash song...

By order of the prophet
    We ban that boogie sound
    Degenerate the faithful
    With that crazy Casbah sound

The shareef don't like it
    Rockin' the Casbah
    Rock the casbah

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/clash/rockthecasbah.html

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

What about selective enforcement. You find your political enemies, then have them arrested on some silly charge of having a satelitte dish at an inopportune time? Just because it can't be enforced nationwide doesn't mean it's right.

18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

[​IMG]

19. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Let's bomb that genocidal fruit to stone age! No too little, the fair retaliation for a president who dares to call holocaust a myth is to nuke the whole country!

When they will count the thousands and thousands dead they will learn they shouldn't say something that with the appropriate mandatory exaggerations can be defined as asking/preparing for genocide just like Hitler and the next presidents will choose the words of their speeches better.

20. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Movie star hasn't lost hope in Iranian cinema

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I can attest that Barareh Nights makes for exceptionally good social and political satire. Nothing and no one is spared. The regime, Iranian culture generally, its different subsections -- all are poked fun of in a way that is both revealing and entertaining.

22. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I have to lecture you: Techno would have conquered Iran, but now it's banned. Scooter would have been such an impact. Hyper Hyper 'till the end. Oh well..

23. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY

I'll add "Iranians are good at getting around the censors" to my list of reasons to go to Iran. I think I'll put it right between "Massive burgers" and "Thriving black market"

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Selective enforcement can be a serious issue in Iran, making some of the rarely enforced laws operate in an arbitrary manner. This is especially true regarding some of the "morality" laws. The arbitrary nature of the enforcement of those laws relates less to political motivations, and more to corruption. Basically, these laws give an avenue for corrupt police officers to collect bribes.

However, the punishment for owning a satellite dish is not that severe even if the law was enforced. Basically, under the law, they can confiscate your dish and fine you $50. The truth, however, is that the regime has intentionally decided to allow people to watch these satellite programs. The political channels operated by "opposition groups" do a great job discrediting themselves and are regarded as a joke with most people in Iran. The more mainstream, international news channels (BBC, CNN etc) don't say anything that is not already reported and covered by the Iranian press. The entertainment channels give the public an outlet without making the regime susceptible to attack from more religious folks who might object to such programs on Iranian state television.

25. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Re: Iran-EU hold Talks Amidst Indications the EU Might Agree to Enrichment in Iran

The meeting between the EU and Iran resulted in an agreement to hold future talks. Although there is a wide gap between the positions from the two sides, there are indications that some of the gap is being closed by a more sensible approach from the EU. Specifically, if the EU can muster the courage to openly offer a package which recognizes Iran's rights to enrich uranium in Iran, accepting Iran's offer to do so under a joint venture with the Europeans, the remaining issues can be solved as well. On the latter point, as I alluded to earlier, there are some hopeful signs. Even if the EU would try to postpone the time when Iran undertakes such activities. If such a postponement is part of a larger package that shows the issue is being genuinely resolved, and not a merely a means to wrestle some concessions from Iran, I believe a deal can be worked out.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsA...4Z_01_KRA085069_RTRUKOC_0_US-NUCLEAR-IRAN.xml