Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Re: Iran bans Rock n' Roll!

They are alerady banned, but as you can see, the regime can't enforce such laws. It's like alcohol, prostitution, underground parties and everything else that is "banned" in Iran, but widely available. It's essentially an unspoken understanding between Iranian government and Iranian youth.

2. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003

Well, if President Ahmadashell is just hot air, that's one thing. But his remarks may lead to enforcement of the heretofore unenforced "banning" laws. Many dictators-in-training start off talking crap, then wait to see who objects & how much, then feel entitled to act out in the absence of major uproar. Time will tell.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Quick someone start sending copies of Joan Jett and the Blackhearts "I Love Rock 'n' roll"

4. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  5. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

Ahmadinezhad is a nobody, he's just a clown for the west's entertainment, the real power in Iran ultimately rests in the hand of Khamenei. Believe me, if there were any such plans Khamenei would have carried them out a long time ago.

6. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuck, looks like Yehud or Petah Tikva.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Little off topic but don't you have to change your sig now?

Al AHLY
    2005 CAF CHAMPIONS & undefeated baby in over fifty matches!

0-2 at the World Club Championships.

8. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I am in Iran. Any of you travelling here would immediately change your tune, as the picture of Iran from some of these reports is almost comical. The reality is sometimes 180 degrees inopposite.

The so-called "ban" discussed in the article applies to state owned television and radio. It has nothing to do with what is available in the free market. And everything is available on the free market. Western music can be overheard from loud parties that keep you awake at night in many apartments such as mine. Or from the loudspeakers of many cars which appear to want to share their music with others around them. You can go to any music shop and buy whatever albums you want. Legal or illegal they are all available.

A few weeks ago, I moved to my new apartment in a middle class area of Tehran. It took me exactly a few hours to have my satellite dish installed. Every unit in this building has a satellite receiver and the regulations of the board of directors of this apartment are far less onerous than the similar ones in the US. Indeed, the only regulation was that I sign a paper holding others harmless from any damage or injury arising from my dish. (I haven't even complied with that regulation, as my dish was installed and I have not bothered giving them the paper they wanted).

Satellite dishes are supposed to be illegal based on old laws on the books, but you find advertisements regarding their installation in newspapers, including coupons offering discounts. For political reasons you cannot overturn those laws easily, but for all intents and purposes they are legal.

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

If even 1% of the rumors and allegations regarding Ahmadinejad on cultural issues were true, I would not be able to live here.

In any case, the decree in that article applies to state radio and television. The purpose of the decree is to promote Persian music. By promoting Western music and other cultural things, a lot of money leaves the country which can instead instead be supporting Iranian musicians and artists.

On the other hand, my impression and experience has been that Iran has if anything become even more lax since Ahmadinejad's election in pretending to enforce cultural issues on the private sphere. For one thing, it appears that with the conservatives in power, they no longer need to use "cultural issues" to embarrass the reformers. Instead, they have to worry about keeping the electorate happy since they will be facing elections again. For another thing, on cultural issues, the "Abadgaran" (Ahmadinejad's political party) emphasize promotion of Iranian and Islamic culture through public funding and the state aparatus, while they concede that competition from Western culture in the private sphere will make the Iranian and Islamic culture they seek to promote more dynamic and vibrant.

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

But IM claims the real power rests with the elected officials. Which one of you is right?

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

No, actually forcing the criminals to listen to Kenny G.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I have given a synoposis of Iran's political system, including the role of unelected branches as well as the elected ones. I have done so as a lawyer, giving you the law and the practice. And this is an area I know well and one of the courses I will be teaching at a university here is comparative political systems and constitutional law.

Iran has a complex system, with its own checks and balances. No single individual holds all power. The Supreme Leader has ultimate authority on certain issues, but is not involved in running the government. Indeed, the organs that run the day to day affairs of the government are not under his control.

The president in Iran cannot enact laws, no more than Bush can enact laws in the US. Passing legislation is the perogative of the Iranian parliament, subject to veto powers of the Guardians Council. Hence, it is not even up to Ahmadinejad to "ban" Western music in Iran. All he can do is to issue directives on the kind of things government institutions under his control should be doing, so long as those directives don't contradict the laws.

In this particular instance, his directive is not even that binding as unlike most other state organs, state radio and television is not even under the control of the government. The Supreme Leader indeed is the person who appoints the head of Iran's state broadcasting company. The president however oversees and appoints all the other heads of government agencies and ministries (e.g. ministry of foreign affairs, defense, interior, finance and economy, agriculture, social welfare, health, culture, head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, etc...) The Supreme Leader appoints the top commanders of Iran's armed forces, the chief of Iran's judiciary, and head of chartitable state foundations, half the members of the Guardians Council, and the head of Iran's state broadcasting media, although even all these organs interact in a day to day basis more with the other branches in government than the office of the Supreme Leader.

Unless you are pursuing a policy at odds with one of the "big ticket items" coming under the purview of the Supreme Leader, politics in Iran is about competition among different political power centers. Much of it can be parachial and narrow in focus, even petty and personal. The "independent" organs in Iran, whose leaders are nominally answerable to the Supreme Leader, often can become fiefdoms of their own with their own turf battles against both elected and other unelected organs.

14. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wouldn't it be Tanzanian?

15. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Did you know that Iran invented Hair Crimping? I blame them for the entire decade.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

The important thing to remember is that, in contrast to Iraq, the Iranian people are responsible for their government and can in no way be considered innocent of the predictable consequences of their actions.

17. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul

Well, there's always Johnny Abdul and "Highway To Mecca".

[​IMG]

"Are you ready to rock?"

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Film them doing it for 90 minutes and you've got the latest Abbas Kiarostami film.

19. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca

Walk down Sunset blvd in LA and you'll soon see it

20. Nimrodg

Nimrodg New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    ISRAEL

Hey! what about the wonderful song of Yusuf Islam (was known as Cat Stevens) ? will they let play it over there? :)

:D

21. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, I blame the Jews for that one. It's part of Jewfro evolution.

It couldn't possibly be intelligent design.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran-EU hold Talks Amidst Indications the EU Might Agree to Enrichment in Iran

Although EU diplomats have sounded pessimistic notes before the start of talks today between Iran and EU on Iran's nuclear program, there are indications that the EU might show flexibility in allowing uranium enrichment in Iran under certain conditions. If the proposal is accompanied by other measure that indicate a genuine desire by the EU to resolve the issues on fair and amicable terms, perhaps the resumption of talks might lead to a deal at some point in the future. Lets hope, since if such a deal is found, it would be good for everyone concerned. It would constitute the "win-win" situation Iran's top nuclear negotiator indicated Iran is looking for in any negotiations with the EU on its nuclear file.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1428101&page=2

23. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran glued to TV comedy that tackles tough issues

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1427151&page=2
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Re: Iran glued to TV comedy that tackles tough issues

Yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

25. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: Iran glued to TV comedy that tackles tough issues

Good thing. Satire is always a clever weapon. And gives a clear idea of iranian society more than else. Surely more than the casual speech of a single political figure.

Don't be saddened by the lack of interest, too many ppl is looking only for bad news from iran, it's what they want. They don't need something which can get them to conclude that Iran is not (or not only) the backward oppressed nation they like it to be.