Iran, the 3rd attaking team in the world

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Mani, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    FIFA magazine has named Iran the world's 3rd attaking team in the last 20 years after Brazil and Australia. Iran with an average of 4.5 goals per each game it has played in the last 20 years, is ranked 3rd followed by France, Spain and Holland. FIFA also considers Iran’s 19-0 victory over Guam in 2000 as the fourth greatest victory in world football history.

1. Brazil
    2. Australia
    3. Iran
    4. France
    5. Spain
    6. Holland

2. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    How can they put Iran ahead of France Netherlands Sweden Denmark Spain and Portugal?
    These teams I mentioned are superbly merciless attakcing teams
    What's wrong with FIFA?

3. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    well, you gotta remember it's fifa...you know, the mafioso organization that puts out those...uhhh...rankings....

leave the kid alone. it's iran for chrissake

4. buggy

buggy New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    i think they are looking at goal numbers, stats, stuff like that.... not the "overall impression/performance" of a team.

5. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Oh now it sounds more like it
    Thanks mate

6. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Hahaha Ok thanks mate

7. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Chill out people! It's just a mathematical procedure!

8. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Its not a suprise since Iran does always beat many weak teams in the first round of WCQ and ACQ, like the 16-0 against Maldives, 8-0 against Laos etc. But it still doesnt mean that Iran's offense is strong that it could beat Spain or France.

9. Espiro

Espiro Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Stronger than all Asian teams for sure since they play the same teams.

10. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, the very same teams that Saudi Arabia, Japan and Korea play against...

11. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    Still doesn't make up for our crappy defensive structures.

12. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Yep, I know that, but the other 3 teams kinda 'stop' when they get around 5-8 goals. Thats what I usual notice about Saudi Arabia, while Iran continues.

13. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Very nice of you to be so considerate of Laos, Maldive and Guam and stop at 5 goals...

14. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    Your second half one goal winners against teams like Sri Lanka and Turkemenistan would have us believe otherwise. Don't make the case that you wouldn't add to a comfortable lead against weak teams, when you aren't acustomed to building an early lead against such teams in the first place. Seems to me like it's not really matter of choice for Saudi Arabia.

15. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Uhh.. look at the ACQ against Yemen, 7-0, against Bhutan 6-0, second half we only scored 2 goals, i watched the game and the team wasnt doing that much mainly becuz its already winning with a big margin. :rolleyes:

16. nekounam

nekounam New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    on your mom
    Two counter-examples don't affect the general trend of Saudi Arabia's games against smaller opponents. I can make an even stronger case for Iran if I chose to hand-pick two games:
    Iran-Maldives 1997 9-0 (7 goals scored in first half)
    [2/9]<[2/7]
    Iran-Maldives 2000 8-0 (5 goals scored in first half)
    [3/8]<[2/7]

17. Saudi64

Saudi64 Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Riyadh KSA
    Club:
    Al Shabab Riyadh
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    Ugh, theres more then one example, but I cant remember all, like 8-0 against Maldives, 8-0 against Nepal in the 90s, if i can find a website with them ill post them.

18. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    It can't be denied that Iran like to rack up large scores. Saudi teams in general tend to back off after making the game safe. A good example is the game against Turkmenistan in WCQ. First 1/2 we raced into a 3 nil lead, then backed off for the rest of the game. Iran are more ruthless in that sense.

19. touhif

touhif New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    lol i dont think saudis who lose 8-0 to germany should talk to iran who lost only 2-0 to germany. so if i was you saudi i would stop trying to make iranians look bad and instead try to get your own country to lookk better. get my drift?

20. SockersFC

SockersFC New Member

Oct 30, 2004
    USA
    Exactly what i would've said, paying your way into the world cup screwed over the saudis. Saudi's cheat to win, and run up the score. The worst thing about that lose, was the saudis started the game with a one forward, 4 midfielders and 5 defenders formation.