Iran test fires long-range missile

Discussion in 'International News' started by Scarecrow, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I also don't think you can dismiss Iran's military that easily. We can play a war game here just like chess match for fun. You give me your attacking plan, and I will give you my counter plan.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran has a lot of different news agencies: FARS (close to the revolutionary guards and aligned with Ahmadinejad's faction in government), MEHR (aligned with conservative pragmatists), ISNA (aligned with reformists), IRNA (Iran's official news agency), and many others. The pics of the Zolfaqar war games I have posted are courtesy of these news agencies and their photographers as indicated in the bottom of each pic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I can, they lack the equipment, the training and the experience that the US Armed Forces have.

As for war games, that is what they have OPFOR out in Carson for. Throwing ideas around on a message board isn't realistic as you can only go on paper specs not actual impact. You can't account for the speed of US Armor or night fighting skills or the accuracy of our weapons platforms, including the Javelin Fire and Forget Anti-tank missile that has an impeccable record in Iraq.

So while I like your idea, the only practical way to even play it out would be in a sim.

4. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    OK. For me, a war is fighting on 4 levels. From higher to lower:

1) Strategy. First, strengthen your strategic position against your enemy. Which I think USA is not winning. From a strategic point, there are three objects in Mid East after Bush's call for axis of evils and 9/11: Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq. So if you identify Iran as your main object, you can do two ways--a) utilize Iran's enemies (both Sadam or Taliban) to fight Iran; b) Clean up the place for a conflict with Iran.

Looks the policymarkers choose the 2nd path. So we saw two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The strategic thinking here is that USA should increase the pressures Iran faced than Talaban+Sadam, but due to bunch idiots running the show--Iran actually had a stronger hands after these two wars. In Afghan, US didn't establish a non-Talaban government who is strongly anti-Iran, so Iran was able to make friends with reginal warloads to releave its pressure from East. Then by utilize their network in Iraq, Iran also has a strong hands in West. At North, due to Iraq War, US weakened its hand in Turkey, and if we support Iranian Kurd that may also did enough damage on Turkey. So no North pressure either.

Now look the only direction--South, Gulf Arabs. Iran was intentionally engage on two big fights--a) Cartoon incidents; b) Lebanon War. These two events would make Gulf Arabs in a very difficult position to support any war against Iran.

2) Foreign Relationship. The 2nd level is to fight with the relationship (so the interests). What USA tries is to isolate Iran. Of course, on one way, USA is able patch some of damages with France and Germany since Iraq War, but Iran is able to secure good interest (energy) deal with China, India, and just recently Japan. With this in mind, plus Russia and USA are on a head-butt show right now, not even war, a simple sanction that really hurt Iran is a uncertainty.

3) War. Which bring to military action. Everybody is talking about an air war. How is it effectively to do a surgical operation that can totally eliminate Iran's ability on nuclear program? Bunk Busters? Forget about tactical nuclear option. Pentagon would vote no on this. An action without reaching the objectives is worse than no action.

4) Ground War. Well, I don't think any military experts would suggest this.

5. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    This picture looks majestic. Thanx for the pics.

btw, Iran seems to have already mass produced these planes.

[​IMG]

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I like the view in that pic as well.

The planes in that picture are F-5s, although they are no longer really the "American" planes supplied to Iran several decades ago. Their munitions and avionics have been modified in Iran, while all the major and minor parts of the plane are also built in Iran. That is why all these planes still are capable of flying despite decades of sanctions.

The Saeghe plane inducted into the Iranian airforce and which has now gone into mass production, has similarities in terms of its airframe with the F-5. I should note, parenthetically, that all planes have similarities and there are even clearer similarities between the Saeghe and the F-18. Here are some pics that will allow you to compare the design of the F-5 with the Saeghe from different angles. Some of these pics have been posted before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Sorry for the late reply. I agree with you whole heartedly that "in war......nobody wins". And I also think the whole purpose behind this thread.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quit trying to compare that F-5 ripoff with a real plane like the F/A-18
    [​IMG]

There is no comparison.
    [​IMG]

Can you show a cockpit view of your F-5 wannabe?

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lets compare the Saeghe with the F/A-18.

[​IMG]
    US Navy F/A-18 Hornets

[​IMG]
    Saeghe from rear angle view

[​IMG]
    Pic of Saeghe (right lower) flying alongside an F-5 (left upper)

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no comparison.
    The canopy is completly different as are the wings, the airframe, the weapons systems, the only thing even closely resembling the superior Hornet is the back end of the plane where the rear section looks like iran tried to copy the Hornets design.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The JSF firing missiles.

[​IMG]

Joint Strike Fighter firing missiles showing shock diamonds in exhaust stream. Similar shock diamonds are visible in the exhaust stream of the jet itself.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    :D lol at this thread.

I don't think even bush has so much knowledge than IM and scarecrow over here. Keep on going guys. I am enjoying those photos of F5's AND F16's.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't posted any F-16's yet. IM doesn't know anything about the planes, I however have actually worked on some of these aircraft and I have a far superior knowledge of them and their capablities then the propaganda that IM is fed about his F-5 knockoff plane.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By request

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetalStorm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metal Storm 4 barrel weapon system on a remotely operated mount, integrated with an Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV)

19. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    This whole discussion is simply retarded.

IM is going by what some Iranian military experts have said in comparing the Saeghe and the F5 (or F18).

Then you get scarecrow trying to say one is better than the other because America made it! America spends a lot more money on it true, but even you have to admit that only a person who has experience with both can conclusively say which is better. As of yet, no American military expert has had their hands on the plane (although they might very well have seen the blueprints), and more importantly none have commented.

Please stop acting like insecure, self obsessed men comparing penis sizes. While we appreciate your zeal in putting forward what the American planes have and various pictures, this thread has nothing to do with America's military capability. That thread wouldn't even be in this section, but feel free to make one.

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: The truth is you have IM putting out his propaganda and making ignorant comments about how the plane compares to the F/A-18 which as we can all see is a joke to make such a comparison.

And the US planes are far superior, not just because they were built by the US, but because they have a proven COMBAT record. The F-15 has never lost a combat engagement.

As for comparing the iranian F-5 knockoff, of course we can say in the US what it is, it was built by the US in the first place, all iran did was make some superficial changes to the airframe, the rest of the plane is still the same.

The bottom line here is that nothing iran has managed to put out in the field in this little war game would stand a chance against superior US Forces.
    Learn it, live it, accept it.

21. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Your superior combat ready F18’s come in handy in Iraq lately??? :rolleyes:

22. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Someone wants to play the Bad Guys in a Top Gun remake or what ? :D

23. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they didn't run away to another country to avoid fighting the Iraqi's now did they?
    Next your going to tell us about the fable of Iraqi's using chemical weapons against iran which we all know is a lie because Iraq never had those weapons.

24. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bad guys in Hot Shots is more accurate! LOL! :D

25. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005