Iran test-fires anti-carrier cruise missile in war game

Discussion in 'International News' started by Iranian Monitor, Feb 8, 2007.

1. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    painted one of our ships, that's funny.

next a Humvee will appear on a roof in Baghdad, and no one will know how the Iranians got it up there.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]

he is now working for the Iranians.

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad part is, that EVERYONE forgot their camera.

Too bad. Really, I mean it.

4. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Let's for a moment think about it strategically. Assume that the commandos were able to paint Iran's insignia on the US carrier and did film it, would releasing the tape not completely alert and change the US defensive tactics? So, why would they show their hand at this time? It may be better used at later time; nonetheless, if this in fact did happen, I am sure US divers have painted over it by now.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Range of carrier-borne F-18 Hornet: 681 miles.

Doh!

6. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Let's think about it strategically. If you did something to embarass your chief rival, especially something like this that would also be pretty funny rather than destructive, would you not let the world in on your joke?

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The very nature of this action was to embarass the US forces and the message from the insignia painted on the US warship was delivered. I have not noticed any US denial of the incident. Once the US issues a denial, then I would suspect Iran would share the photos and evidence to back up its claim. Kind of like the incident with Iranian UAVs flying over the US aircraft carrier, which the US denied and in response Iran released the video of the incident.

Incidentally, let me note that when I first a report about this incident a couple of weeks ago, I was hesitant to mention it. I had my doubts, but since then I have concluded that this incident indeed did take place. That is because of the multiple sources in Iran's revolutionary guards who have since openly talked about the issue.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is a report published a few hours ago which talks about the naval manuevering on both sides. I am excerpting those parts of this report which deal primarily with some of the naval tactics I have discussed here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/17/MNGEAO6P5B1.DTL

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I just saw a news story where the US Navy (sort of) denies the incident where Iran alleges its forces painted their insignia on a US warship. I say (sort of) because the actual quote doesn't seem all that categorical, especially as it relates to an incident which the US navy would have to know if it is true or not.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/02/ntgraffiti070216/

10. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    In normal times you would be right but this is war time and therefore, much greater prudence must be used in utilizing all "the cards", unless it's meant to serve as a warning signal.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Cool. So by your own logic, the countdown to video/photography evidence starts now.

I'm all agog. Truly. If genuine, this has the makings of a YouTube classic. If bullshit, it has the makings of an Iranian Propaganda Muppet classic. For us neutral observers, it's a win-win of the highest order.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It took Iran several months before it decided to release the video regarding its UAVs filming the US aircraft carrier. I suspect Iran will eventually release pictures of the US warship, but don't think these things are decided overnight in Iran.

In the meantime, you are free to call Iran's claims whatever you want. As I suggested, when I first read about this incident a few weeks ago, I was skeptical. My own experience based on the number of sources referring to the incident, and the surrounding issues, is that it happened.

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I say again - cool. Win-win, remember? Agog, remember? Like, proper agog.

Either way, comedy gold.

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since so many in the Rev Guard are bragging about that painting, then if they had any actual proof it surely would have been shown.

Something that Iran's troops would face in combat from the US:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m307.htm

Now this if true is really something. US Navy leading the way again.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/01/us_navy_invents.html

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/012007/01172007/251373

15. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    israel used that stuff against hezbollah.

16. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    another wargame :

Iran's elite guards to hold war games

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards will launch their second war games in a month on Monday, just days ahead of a U.N. deadline regarding Iran's nuclear program.

The Revolutionary Guards will begin three days of ground maneuvers, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported Sunday
    "The guards will practice various kinds of fighting tactics including tactics of asymmetrical warfare," the report said without elaborating.
    The exercises are to take place in 16 of Iran's 30 provinces, IRNA reported. Some 60,000 troops were expected to participate — in line with past exercises. The games were planned before the United Nations Security Council approved economic sanctions against Iran on Dec. 23.
    In December, the council gave Iran 60 days to halt uranium enrichment, otherwise it will consider taking additional measures beyond the sanctions in place. Enrichment is necessary to produce fuel for nuclear reactors, but also to make nuclear weapons.
    As tensions rise over Iran's nuclear standoff with the West, the United States and Iran have pursued an escalating series of military moves, with Washington sending more aircraft carriers to the region and Iran responding with more frequent maneuvers.
    The Revolutionary Guards is an elite military corps with more than 200,000 members and its own naval and air forces. It is independent of the regular armed forces and controlled directly by the supreme leader. It oversees vital interests such as oil and natural gas installations and the nation's missile arsenal.
    In January, the Guards held three days of war games.
    The United States and several of its Western allies believe that Iran is using the nuclear program to produce an atomic weapon — charges Iran denies, saying its aim is to generate electricity.

17. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the high optempo for wargames? Is this typical of this time of year? What "season" is it in Iran and what is the typical weather like now?

18. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    it is simple : the islamic republic wants to show their muscles. it is now winter in iran (snowy)

19. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "winter in Iran" mean. I assume it is much more mild than in Northern Europe or the US, but I don't know for sure. What is typical of this time of year in terms of typical daytime highs and rainfall, etc. I know Iran is pretty big so there is some variation. I just don't have a feel for the weather there.

20. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    i dont know... maybe iranian monitor knows more. anyway...http://weather.yahoo.com/regional/IRXX.html

21. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    This thread is quite amusing. Of course, I have IM on ignore, so that makes it at least somewhat readable.
    I am still struggling to understand why anyone here actually thinks the US will occupy Iran. Why would the US do that? The US will simply bomb away. We have more carrier groups. We have more bombs. And politically, bombs are vastly cheaper than people. Yes, Iran might sink a carrier. Maybe. But, of course, that wouldn't make much of a difference.

Now, could Iran start attacking civilian targets in the US by terrorism? Yes. But if it did that, the US would respond with a bombing campaign that made Hitler's aerial assault on England look like the kiss of a butterfly. And Hitler was attacking a country that could build Spitfires and was supplied by the United States. Iran wouldn't be supplied by anyone and wouldn't be able to build sufficiently good planes on their own.
    Our friend respect (IM's retarded little brother, perhaps?) declares this a "coward's war". OK, great. I'm happy with that. If it means minimal losses for the US and devastating losses for the Islamic Republic, works for me. In fact, I think Iran should man up and only carry swords into combat.

Obviously, the hope is that this scenario doesn't come to pass. But anyone who thinks that Iran stands some sort of a chance in a US - Iran conflict is delusional.

22. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    it is funny how some people think about the Iran-USA war.
    yeah i like it. underestimate iran. A COWARDLY BOMBING FROM AIR WILL SUCCEED. but america cant invade iran with their ground troops(with their current situation). iran is way too strong for that. and believe me . if iran was a country like saudi arabia or qatar or uae israel and america would attacked it long time ago.
    so you people must get your facts right. think think think!

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran is a large country; roughly the size of western Europe. It has different climates in different regions, although all experience the 4 seasons.

Most of the population, more than two thirds, live in northern and central parts of Iran, where the weather can get very cold during the winter. Although the weather has moderated somewhat in the past week, it has been a pretty cold winter here in Tehran. We have had many days were the temperature has dropped well below freezing and at least 5-6 times when schools and some government offices have closed this year due to the weather conditions (a lot of snow).

Not far from Tehran, within easy driving distance, you have around a dozen ski restorts which operate during the winter. Indeed, one of the distinguishing features of Tehran is the snow capped mountains which surround this city.

The southern parts of Iran, however, generally have mild temperatures during the winter and get extremely hot during the summer. Those regions in the south include Khuzistan province (where most of Iran's oil is found, and which is inhabited largely by Arab-Iranians); Hormuzgan province (where America's wrestlers were hosted recently, in the port city of Bandar Abbas, whose population is a mixture of people of African decent, Hindus, Arabs as well as Persians); and Baluchistan (Iran's least developed region, inhabited mostly by Baluchis).

Here are some pictures of Tehran during the winter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    lol. iranian monitor knows everything. mashallah

25. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I knew there were ski resorts around Tehran (I have friends who, in a different time, spent a lot of time i Iran). I wasn't sure if it was because the mountains were so much higher than the city or if that was the weather in the city as well.