Iran test-fires anti-carrier cruise missile in war game

Discussion in 'International News' started by Iranian Monitor, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try not to think too much it seems to be hard for you.
    First off I think you need to go back and read my posts and get a clearer picture of the context I was replying to.

That said, I have stated in this thread no less, that the war was a mistake from the start. Also that the US should have left after Hussain was captured. Did you miss that?

Next, if you think that a better plan would not have helped, then I feel sorry for you. The Military plan to take the country worked very well. The problem is that after the Military beat the iraqi armed forces, there was a piss poor thought process by Bush and Co. that the iraqis would all of a sudden just be happy to be free of Saddam and all would be well in the country. Add to that the US dissolved the Iraqi Army, basically sending all those people home without jobs, with their weapons. Do you think that may have caused a problem? Maybe, perhaps if the US had had a better plan things like that could have been avoided. There are a whole list of things that should be learned from iraq, and first off is that you have to have a plan of action once you take over a country. More US troops on the ground would have gone a long way in helping secure the country.

As for the civlians, I admit I did not phrase that very well. My statement is that given how the insurgents prefer to fight, such as this past battle where the US took 14 hrs to move a mile, the US could simply go balls out and level any village where they face insurgents. That would of course drive up civlian losses. And because we do not want that to happen, we will not see that type of action from the US.

Would Iraq be a nice peaceful country if the US had had a better occupaton plan? No. If Bush and co. had a clue about what to do after saddam was removed, things would be better then they are now.

2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess then that he should be supportive of Israel if they are in fact supporting MEK then right? Its all the same isn't it?

3. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Yes lets label the groups that don’t share our ideas as terrorists that will solve everything .

4. Yes we do.

If we don't bully you, you won't respect us.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah because they have never committed terrorist acts right?

:rolleyes:

6. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Iran is not bullying anyone by arming Hezbuallh or Hamas . Bullying in this sense is when one country tells another country what it can and it cant do . And if bullying is in the best interest of America and Americans then the American empire will not last that long . Most people around the world are sick of Americas quest for world domination by using its bullying tactics and for that reason America will lose the label Super Power sooner than later.

7. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    But its ok for Israel to support the Kurds who “never committed terrorist acts” right?

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One's mans terrorist is another's freedom fighter right?
    Forgot this part:

Originally Posted by valanjak
    Yes lets label the groups that don’t share our ideas as terrorists that will solve everything .

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    you are getting into the semantics of the actual word itself. My only point was, as Socrates once said, "Everyone has his own truth." If Iran was the most powerful country in the world, it would be bullying other countries. Soviet Union did it at one point and now US is doing it. It coes with the territory. Whether other people like it or whether US will not last long as a super power is a different discussion. Bottom line, as you said, every country have the right to do what they like, it's all about cost and benefits.

10. Hank Rearden

Hank Rearden New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Dundee, Illinois, USA
    Ok, so you were in favor of regime change in Iraq, but not post-war occupation? My point was that regime change is just as difficult as occupation and shouldn't be attempted without a very compelling reason (e.g., Pearl Harbor).

I agree that better planning would have lessened the disaster that we now face in Iraq, but I don't think it would help too much. Once we decided to remove Hussein by force, we put in motion forces that destabilized the country. I'm sure we could have done a better job of deterring the civil war/ethnic cleansing going on today, but I doubt we would have succeeded. Look at what happened in the former Yugoslavia - whenever central government forces were removed, the ethnic cleansing began.

I understand that the Baker Report seems to make some of the conclusions you did - that better planning and execution would have resulted in a successful regime change - but I don't think history bears that out.

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    This is the most stupid and un-American thing to say. America has certainly been highjacked by the evildoers and people like you certainly give us a wake up call.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the start I was in favor of the war, but as time has worn on, I see clearly that the US made a mistake. And in the years after we did remove Saddam we have compounded the mistake.

I am of the mind that even with a better occupation plan, that Iraq would still not be a peaceful place. The fact is that the people of Iraq have to many hurdles to overcome internally before they can progress forward. Also, and here is where I agree with you, no foreign power can occupy a nation and expect it to go peacefully, least of all one with as many internal problems that Iraq has.

13. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004

What do you say scarecrow, let's fight another war to stop this war?

Of course, I'm only kidding. :D

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you are only kidding.
    I prefer the US finish the war in Afghanistan against the people we should be fighting.

Hopefully things will work out in a way that will prevent another war.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what was the size of the warhead on this missile? Speed, range, etc...

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This BBC report from today summarizes some of the claims of Iran's revolutionary guards with regard to their abilities viz a viz American naval forces in the Persian Gulf. While I won't suggest all these claims are necessarily valid, I was struck by the fact that one of the top commanders of the revolutionary guards has confirmed a story I read a couple of weeks ago about Iran's forces painting their insignia on a US warship just to let the Americans know that Iran can get that close to US vessels without being detected! Indeed, I am waiting to see if there is a picture or footage that will be released regarding the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6356971.stm

17. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
  18. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the video. Do you know the range to the target? Did they shoot at any moving targets? (That's not meant as a put-down, I understand on a range it might be difficult to shoot moving-target video). Also, as scarecrow said, how big was the warhead? They may be saying in the video, but unfortunately I can't understand ?Farsi? (I assume).

All the Farsi words I ever knew were soccer-related!! Mostly in the "kind words for the referee" category!!

Also, why does Iran have two navies? What is the difference in their roles?

19. respect

respect Red Card

Feb 9, 2007
    no the guys in the video are praying asking god to give the permission to launch the missiles. the second part they are counting down the seconds. and saying allah akbar that means god is great.

20. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They hardly say anything in Persian, they're praying and citing Koranic verses in Arabic, shit like "in the name of Ali, Mohmmad, Allah" blah blah blah, I can't understand any of it. The only Persian they use, is at the end when they say " warriors of the sea, launch your long-range land-to-sea missiles"

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have pictures of that symbol on the US Ship? Which ship was it? Where on the ship did it get put? I call bullshit on him as he is just spouting propaganda which is very common among his ranks.

22. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Initially, the revolutionary guards were created due to the fact after the revolution, the new regime did not trust the loyalty of the regular armed forces. Eventually, however, the roles of the two became distinguishable as well.

The regular Iranian armed forces, including navy, trains along the lines of a regional armed force designed for purely defensive operations against foreign powers. They do not get involved in internal security assignments, nor are they involved in defending or spreading the revolution outside of Iran's borders. The revolutionary guards, on the other hand, is an ideological army, and its responsibility is to defend the revolution at home and abroad.

This is a pretty interesting article published today in the LA Times, both on the Quds force -- regarded as perhaps the best special forces unit in the world. At the end of the article is the following summary on the revolutionary guards and regular armed forces and their manpower specifically.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...feb15,1,7977308.story?coll=la-headlines-world

23. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    All of this sabre-rattling grows tiresome. Iran would not be a pushover by any means, but would ultimately suffer horrific loses. The only question is who would blink first, mostly a political question. Meanwhile, things continue to deteriorate...year after year after year.

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    In recent weeks, most of the saber rattling has been done by the US. Indeed, while Iran's revolutionay guards have taken some actions to show they aren't intimidated, including having an Iranian submarine move next to the US fleet and sending commandos to paint Iran's insignia on a a US warship, the changing fortunes in Iranian politics have resulted in Iran pulling back its punches. Especially on the nuclear front, where Iran's top leadership has essentially tied the hands of Ahmadinejad and the government from moving ahead with some important steps to end this game.

I regret the recent timidity by Iran and the failure to take the next steps to bring this issue to a head. I believe Iran would do better if it showed willing to 'up the ante', but the fact that Ahmadinejad wasn't able to get his way after his electoral defeat in Iran's recent municipal and assembly of experts elections, shows to me that Iran's system is more responsive to the wishes of its electorate than the so-called democracy in the US. In the US, we had Bush get stumped in Congressional elections with a bipartisan study group joining the chorus calling for talks with Iran. What did Bush do? He went in the opposite direction of what the American people had indicated they wanted!

25. daisrael

daisrael Red Card

Sep 20, 2006
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the proof of this painting? Just cause some Rev. Guard General says it happened doesn't mean it did. Lets see some proof. Otherwise it is just more in the long line of propaganda coming from Iran.