Iran National Team (Team Melli) - Upcoming Schedule

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Mani, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #301 Valkyrie, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    All the official national TM games are played in Azadi stadium without exception - you should know this by now. The only reason for them to temporarily change the venue is if Azadi is under reconstruction for the much needed renovations, hence my surprise and question.

Yadegar Emam is in an even worse condition than Azadi btw. So that's not gonna happen.

There's a lot of designs from students for Azadi floating around.

2. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know Azadi has been our national team castle so far but we had some matches done in other stadiums before (Yadegar for example) and there are talks to move the matches around specially to other cities with high populations such as Mashhad, Tabriz, Esfahan, Ahvaz or Shiraz. Now only Mashhad and Tabriz have good stadiums. Other candidates are just not done yet. Yadegar Stadium is ok there are some minor problems about some seats which mad spectators broke them after the last season final match. Azadi needs a lot of renovations to restore its former glory. I don't think the government pays for an expensive roof for Azadi. Such projects take 20 years in Iran.

3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    ^ Not for Azadi. Naghshe Jahan took so long because they didn't have a budget for it. Otherwise it would have taken around 2 years max same as Azadi.

Also, Azadi is literally falling apart. It's not just an issue of installing new chairs on the 2nd floor they could do that in a week. Cracks, leaks, molds. old electrical grid, bad pitch, etc. It is going to require a substantial budget with or without a roof.

4. persia1378

persia1378 Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Italy
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    actually the quality of the pitch is very good now, looks good from above and in the stadium, and also watching the game the ball rolls and bounces normally

5. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our first game in next round is a home game against Qatar or Iraq. I hope we get Iraq because I absolutely do not want Qatar in our group.

Iran vs Qatar or Iraq
    China or UAE vs Iran
    Saudi Arabia or Uzbekistan vs Iran
    Iran vs Korea or Japan
    Syria or Thailand vs Iran
    Qatar or Iraq vs Iran
    Iran vs UAE or China
    Iran vs Saudi Arabia or Uzbekistan
    Korea or Japan vs Iran
    Iran vs Syria or Thailand

6. iranii

iranii Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Club:
    Perspolis
    TM will play Armenian League champions Alashkert in Armenian camp.

7. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went back to 2005 threads and read about predictions for the 2006 World Cup. A lot of people had Iran making out of the group, didn't realize the team was so highly rated. Sad that it looks like it was a wasted World Cup, I'm not sure they'll ever be in that position again.

8. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #308 +PL+, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Back then we had a team full of great players. The match vs Mexico the team collapsed in half time. We had our all time best goal scorer, Ali Daei not leaving the team while he was 37, slow and a waste of space in the team. He didn't like to get sub too and had this huge influence in our football association because of his big name. We also had our best football player in past 3 decades, Ali Karimi opposing to Ali Daei and his special treatment. We had far better and younger strikers at our team and Ali Daei couldn't score goals but insisted to be on the team and making his NT cap records unreachable. They had a fight in half time and half of the team sided with Ali Karimi and the other half sided with Ali Daei. When they came out of locker room each side didn't want to pass the ball to the other side in second half. That is why we lost the match 3-1 to Mexico while we could win or draw with them. This fight brought our team spirit and unity down for next matches as well.

The coach decided to let each of Ali Karimi or Ali Daei play in only one of next matches but the wound didn't heal. We kept fighting against a Portugal full of legends including Figo and CR7, and we lost 2-0. The match vs Angola was a lost cause and we only drew, because there was no hope for us advancing to the next round. Ali Daei and Ali Karimi remained like enemies and refused to become friends afterward. Many Iranians blamed Ali Daei and he was like a most hated person by Majority of Iranian football fans for some years. Our Croat coach was sacked and the team was given to a local manager (Ghalenoi) who wasn't good enough, and brought his own selection of incompetent players to the team, as a result he couldn't achieve anything in AC 2007.

That 2006 team was a very strong team and could make history for Asia. Next world cup qualifiers again Ali Daei came back as head coach of NT while he had no credentials and brought us down again (Ali Karimi refused to play for him). He was dismissed after losing to Saudi Arabia in Tehran for first time ever, we had Ghotbi as our new coach but a major political unrest over rigged Presidential election of 2009 brought the whole country on verge of civil war. Our NT players sided with losing party and were banned to play for national team for some years. 2006 to 2011 is a void full of bad memories for many Iranians.

9. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The '06 team was all hype. The weakest TM to have ever made it to WC. The "wonder kid" Karimi was allegedly injured. Daei a useless dinosaur, Kia way past his prime, Hashemian a horrid striker with pathetic stats, and frankly the rest of the team were trash all the way down to the goal keeper - worst goalie in TM history btw. Not to mention both Neko, and Ando were too young and inexperienced to make an impact.

Our current team is essentially stronger in every single position BY MILES ahead of the '06 team despite the fact that we don't have a traditional playmaker like Karimi. We have to wait and see how CQ is going to play his cards though, if we park the bus like in '14, we're going to get similar or even worse results due to our defence being weaker without Hosseini - too old, Pouladi - dumbass fleeing conscription, Neko - retired, Ando - bad form, injured, and likely retiring. But since our striking force has been significantly improved we have a reasonable chance at qualifying to the round of 16 for the first time provided we play possession, high tempo, deep pressing attacking football.

CQ, however, doesn't seem to be familiar with the concept of pressing. He prefers his entire team to get behind the ball as soon as they lose possession and clog the box instead of man marking and pressing. Once we get the ball, it's the good old "bekesh ziresh" i.e. long ball for the sole striker. Or as CQ fan boys like to call it: Hyper modern counter attacking system... :ROFLMAO:

But to be fair, I have to admit that CQ has done a tremendous job with this particular squad selection, overall team spirit, decipline and introducing and indoctrinating a new generation of young, hungry and ambitious talents to TM as subtle and smooth as possible. I just don't rate him as a coach. He's a meticulous organizer not a tactician.

10. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #310 +PL+, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    CQ is a good trainer and best youth scout I have ever seen but I admit he is not a good tactician. He uses the same old plan over and over again. His defensive play is boring and totally out of our traditional attacking style. I think it is the time for our NT to bring new coach but it should be done after we pass the WCQs. We need someone with more plans not just parking the bus. After the new generation of NT player have gained enough experience I think we should give CQ a job like head of U23 -U21 NT team. He is really good for younger generation and introduction of new talents to PGPL and NT. CQ can be useful to the maximum level when he is assistant to a great coach (for NT) or heading youth management team of our nation. Using CQ in head coach position won't get us anywhere higher than group stage in WC and we stagnate after ward.

I don't agree with Val about 2006 squad being a weak team. I know our GK was not perfect but that squad without Ali Daei and Rasoul Khatibi could be a great team. We had many strikers, wing players, midfielders who could help us to pass the group stage. The key match was against Mexico and that half time brawl destroyed our hope.

11. iranii

iranii Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Club:
    Perspolis
    WCQ Final Round Schedule:

1 Sept. 2016 v. Qatar - Tehran, Iran
    6 Sept. 2016 v. China - Shenyang, China
    6 Oct. 2016 v. Uzbekistan - Tashkent, Uzbekistan
    11 Oct. 2016 v. South Korea - Tehran, Iran
    15 Nov. 2016 v. Syria - Beirut, Lebanon
    23 March. 2017 v. Qatar - Doha, Qatar
    28. March. 2017 v. China - Tehran, Iran
    13 June. 2017 v. Uzbekistan - Tehran, Iran
    31 Aug. 2017 v. South Korea - Seoul, South Korea
    5 Sept. 2017 v. Syria - Tehran, Iran

12. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Iran 2-0 South Korea

13. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That's never going to happen. It's either going to be one goal - as it has been for nearly the past decade - or MANY!:sneaky:

14. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Todays friendly game:

Iran 8-1 Papa New Guinea.

Navid1337 and Zandi360 repped this.
  15. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    A clean sheet would have made them 8-0ers' relatives

16. MGcali

MGcali New Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Hmm well that was certainly expected. I didnt expect anything else but a loss for PNG

17. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Seems like Iran will have its B team (PGPL players + Pouraliganji of QSL) play against what seems like Iraq's complete squad.

Good opportunity for new players to fight for a place in the final squad while preparing for Qatar. I think we should still win fairly comfortably with the domestic team

18. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #318 +PL+, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Last time I checked, Iraqis are missing 4-5 NT players, too.

We are missing like 10 players who are in Europe.
    Azmoun, Ezatollahi, Mohamadi, Gucci, JB, Shojai, Ansarifard, Makani, Karimi, Dejagah, ...

Deja is injured, JB and Karimi are both suspicious of having injuries. I don't know how good Haghighi and Makani are now. I would prefer an in form Haghighi over Makani all the times.

Zandi360 repped this.
  19. Zandi360

Zandi360 Member+

Dec 10, 2013
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Well then they are close to a full squad basically, same thing

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wow that's bad

22. toyedarvaze

toyedarvaze New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    lineup vs uzbeks:

too many old players and no ghoddos but at least gholizadeh is starting.

23. toyedarvaze

toyedarvaze New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    #323 toyedarvaze, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    iran 1-0 uzbekistan FT

shojaei for ezatolahi sub killed the game because shojaei can't even play to azadegan league level.

apart from that, good performance for first game after world cup, traditional 1-0 scoreline, maybe in 2019 there will be 3 uzb irn matches all ending 1-0 with a torabi goal

24. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi there guys.

I am curious to know whether if Iran were playing with their B team today against South Korea?
    Because I can see couple of names missing, but not sure how is the overall strength of the team.

25. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #325 AIL1998, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Hi,

We were missing Ezatollahi and Moharrami due to suspension, Taremi (Currently our most important player), Jahanbakhsh, and Ghoddos due to positive Covid-19 test. Also our coach started to invite/test other keepers recently. It was not our B team. We were just missing around half of our main lineup today. Also the injury of Khalilzadeh in the first half created a lot of problems for us today. For a team like Iran, missing even two key players is headache in big games unlike teams like Japan. That is the truth.

Anyway congrats for qualifying to the WC and wish the best of luck to Japan in the WC.

Samurai Warrior repped this.