Iran, Japan, Korea

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by daraverla, Mar 8, 2005.

1. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    This is not a troll or intended to induce troll posts by any means.

This is simply my pure subjection opinion on the state and quality of each country's national soccer team. See whether you agree with my assessments. If you dont, feel free to add your comments with some respectable objectivity (I know its hard).

Iran: Iran has the most POTENTIAL to beat European teams given their excellent physique and very dynamic, offensive-minded playstyle. However, Iran's play has been very frustrating with its continent of Asia against other Asian teams. The high level of play has always been there even in the games they lost. Most often time, they can be seen as dominating, with more shots on goals, more possession, more crosses, more control in midfield, and more dynamic combination of midfielders and reliable forwards.

The only knock on Iran is that they sometimes make very, very silly mistake on defence, which often changes the course of game. Thus, by losing momentum, they often falter at the end of the game in which they should have come out as victors.

The word "inconsistency" wont justify all of the Iran's mistakes, as I am more inclined to describe the Iran's play as "usually great performance often marred by head-scratching mental lapses that cost the game".

Japan: Japan is by far the most consistent team in Asia with its solid record against virtually all of the Asian countries. With its dominating midfield play, they can play with anybody on anyday anywhere. If I was to measure their performance, I can safely say that they are B+ team that has been stuck while trying to climb up to the A- level in relation to the overall play of European teams. Despite many adversities on the way, Japan has shown the glimpse of what a winning team should be by always winning the games they play in various ways.

The only knock against Japan is that while they have demonstrated that they can win against any Asian teams consistently, they have not proved that their play is on a par with top European teams or South American teams. As a current champion of Asia, Japan should hold its own against these teams, but in recent plays, Japan has shown some real lackluster plays against Argentina and Germany. Notwithstanding the matches against England and Czech, they should keep the games close enough with other top teams to justify its strong play in asia. Unless Japan shores up its forward line and redistribute the talented, yet crowed midfielder to the whole field, Japan will always remain as a "good team" but not a "great team".

Korea: By far the most inconsistent teams, not only in Asia but perhaps in the world. The range of Korea's performance ranges from solid A+ (against Germany, Poland) to horrible C- (against Moldive, Vietnam, Oman).

The fact that the above teams are spoken in the same sentence alone spells a big trouble for Korea. Despite its vastly improved play since the humilation of 1998 WCQ, Korea is still searching its identity as Korea lacks depth, leadership, poise, and consistency.

Korea is like what Chicago Bulls had been during its Dynasty: a team you should not bet on or against because you simply dont know which team will show up.

Unless Korea makes at least to the final championship game of Asian Cup year in and year out, Korea will always be remembered as "dark horse", a team every great team in the world hates to play during the tournament as well as the team every 2nd and 3rd tier team throughout the continents embraces the opportunity to play with the realistic shot of beating.

2. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Once again, I will attribute the Japanese losses to a lack of professionalism. It seems that in those games a lot of the players really don't seem to be caring that much about what's going on. I remember in 98 when Jo kept missing shots and he would laugh and smile like it was nothing, and people got pissed. It just seems to me that often, Japan loses their desire to try and gets whipped by the big powers. Think about the 5-0 to France, in which Nakata was the only guy who was fighting that whole game. The rest of the squad just stood there crying and taking their beating. It sort of makes me mad that Japan doesn't play harder against good foriegn teams. Of course I will say that Zico's allowing players more freedom has made them a little bit softer in my opinion. Sure Japan lost 5-0 to France under Troussier, but do you think the White Witch Doctor let them off easy? No way, he probably was beating people and screaming at them in the locker room.

Zico seems to be the type of guy who will just shrug his shoulders, and pat people on the back, which isn't what Japan needs in my opinion. They need a little more strict guidance.

On a side note, I notice Korea always knocks off world powers with very strong performances, cause they always seem to be fighting hard. I don't know what it is, but Japan seems to sometimes lack the mentality to play their asses off.

3. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Good observation. Iranian players all want to score. They are too individualistic. That's our main problem.

4. jinroh

jinroh Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Seoul/Tokyo/NJ
    good points you got there.

Inconsistant in past 20 years in international competitions? yes and no. We've been pretty consisntantly underperformed in AC's but then again consistantly represant AFC in WC's. Given the fact we're in WC chase, i'd like to believe we're in up-swing once again.

btw, i wouldn't have made any money if I ever had bet against the Bulls in its dynasty. :)

5. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    the whole observation is kind of unfair.... and this time not to Iran but to Korea... you gave too much credit to Japan... and the whole comparison of the three teams and the way they play and what is expected from them is just not fair.... I really would love to see Japanese and Koreans making a NT with the same management, funding and resources as Iran NT... or if Korea had the same level of relationship with Fifa and if they had the same soccer-political approach as Japan they would easily own Asia (they would be like what Iran is to futsal) because they are clearly the better team than Japan... so as you can see these 3 teams they don't play/practice in the same condition and are not managed/funded equally (maybe Korea and Japan but not Iran)... you can't compare them as you would compare... England, Germany and France....

a fair comparison would require an in-depth research in soccer culture/economy/politic of each country... good comparison in every level of their soccer hierarchy...

6. SherwinRazmy

SherwinRazmy New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    These are all fair points. My brief weaknesses of each team is this:
    Iran. When they aer hot, no team can beat them in Asia and they can even hang with the top European squads. Iran makes some stupid mistakes in defense sometimes which costs games. Sometimes they attack so much that it gives an opportunity for the other team to counter attack. That is how Jordan beat us in Azadi!
    Korea. What is up with this team? they can beat Germany and only get a tie against Moldovia?
    Japan. Right now they are Asias best overall but we shall see. They did not impress me at all with only a 2-1 win against NK, in their house.

7. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You weren't the only one not impressed, I was waiting for another protest where the Japanese supporters marched to the JFA offices with the signs about getting rid of Zico. If they want to plan another march this summer, I will be happy to join in. :D

8. daraverla

daraverla New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Yeah, I agree with Nakata observation. Despite mini slumps here and there, he has been the only one with consistent toughness every game. More than his passing skills, his vision, I have to value his toughness that is so crucial in a very intangible way.

9. crap post.
    this guy is a mere anti-Zico.
    And your ambition that you are happy to join in a protest against him won't
    materialize.
    Thats for sure.

I copyed your post and intend to put you to shame.

We should support Zico as long as Japan continues to win.

why must we get rid of the manager who continues to win.

10. coreaforever

coreaforever BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 13, 2004
    U.S.
    Nice post, but are those opinions are based on the current NT's? Because if your talking about NT's throughout history then Korea is probably the MOST consistent team. Discuss...

11. coreaforever

coreaforever BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 13, 2004
    U.S.
    Also, I recognize Japan is an outstanding team as well as Iran. But I am more then reluctant to give Japan the title "Best In Asia". Why you may ask? Well, Korea has beaten Japan many more times then the other way around. Not to mention we defeat European "giants"(Italy, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Germany). Of course we have our down games i.e. Maldives, Vietnam, Oman. But what team doesn't have down games? Ask the Iranians, they have so many down games it's ridiculous. But in the end Korea always seems to get it done. To tell you the truth if Korea and Japan were to have an "A" match tomorrow to decide the best in Asia, I'm more then sure that 70% of all Asians would pick Korea to win. In my opinion, until Japan and Iran can beat Korea consistantly I have no reason not to believe Korea is still the Best Asia has to offer.

12. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ironic hearing those words come from your mouth. ;)

13. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :D

14. Enclosure

Enclosure Member

Dec 19, 2004
    All fair points, daraverla. That sort of level headed objectivity is also admirable.

There have been various replies here since, but I think the bottom line is that there are infinite ways to pick on details if we were to do that, and argue pretty much in anyway by emphasising a different aspect of the debate depending on which side you are biased for. Same goes to "the best of asia" debate. Being conclusive at this point in time seems impossible, other than to change the point of emphasis in favour of a particular side, because there is always a contradicting point brought about by another shift of emphasis.

Academically, however, it's all fascinating. Practically, there's 2006 Germany.