Iran Calls Off Talks

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by #10 Jersey, Jan 5, 2006.

1. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
  2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You mean they aren't willing to speak with the IAEA as some posters here have claimed that they do not do anything other the cooperate completely and fully with? Gee I am shocked. At some point the people of Iran are going to have to get rid of their puppet masters and the puppets they control and find a way to save themselves from the destruction and sanctions that they are sure to face if they continue down this road.

4. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    This is simply stupid.
    I can see how everyone thinks that its just the mullahs that want the nuclear technology, however according to a BBC poll from a few months back (I dont have the link) the majority of the Iranian population believe they have the right to nuclear technology.

Now the question is can we trust the mullahs with nuclear technology?

I think yes. Simply because they cant use it. Israel whom everyone feels is a target is simply too close and the nuclear cloud created from an attack would hurt Iran and kill more non Israelis than Israelis themselves! Its basic survival, the mullahs may be radical, they arent suicidal or dumb.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tri I respect your thoughts but I do have to wonder about the Mullahs. People who have fanatical beliefs tend to act in ways that aren't always sensible. Now I don't begrudge light water reactors for Iran, but I do oppose anything that can create weapons grade materials. I do not trust the Mullahs to be sensible if they should get their hands on nukes.

Plus with their current mouthpiece stating that he wants to see Israel wiped from the world as well as his seeing a light and something about a 12th century Iman, well that counts as crazy talk to me and I wonder how much of it comes from his masters the mullahs?

6. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Scarecrow, in all honesty, you dont think that hes serious now do you? Hes simply a delusional idiot at best. The mullahs are in power and will not do anything stupid to lose what they have waited so long to get to. Iran will never attack israel, as a matter of fact Iran never attacks anyone, its usually other who attack Iran. The nuclear issue is simply a bargaining chip. They will never be used, it will simply secure Iran as a country not to be pushed around as much.

I hate the mullahs with a true passion, however they currently run Iran, and so for Iran's sake I think its necessary. Much like how I think Israel needed them. Iran and Israel are both surrounded by a bunch of foreign hating countries (Arabs). Saddam was not the first and wont be the last arab in power to want Iran gone.

Its a geopolitical nightmare to be in the middle east if you're non arab.

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that even if he wanted to, that Armanass couldn't order their use without the Mullahs. I just cringe at the thought of the mullahs having something like a nuke at their disposal. I think if they didn't have such close ties with Hezbollah that I may be a bit more comfortable with it.

You bring up another good point, since the arabs do not like Iran nor Israel, and given that in the past there was a good relationship between Iran and Israel, doesn't it make more sense for these 2 nations to ally then continue to be enemies?

8. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    You would think so. Iran should be willing to strike deals with any non arab/non sunni nation in that region. Iran is simply outnumbered, outspent and out of luck with the arabs. I have no freaking idea why Iran has links with hezbollah. Its my personal belief that we have nothing to do with Palestine, and what happens to them is non of our business. Iran has enough problems of its own.

9. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Ahmadinejad is high on opium whenever he makes a stupid remark.

10. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    After World War II, Iran had a democratic government. But it tries to renegotiate a deal with United Kingdom to have a little money for them out of Iranian oil instead all of the money go to UK by the oil company named Iranian Oil Company (today it called BP--British Petreol). The result was a failed British coup. So British was kicked out of Iran. Then UK tried to get US involvement after it lost the control of Middle East to USA. The official excuse for US coup is preventing Iran from Russian take over. The coup was a success to reinstall the dictatorship of Shia. Then an international alliance of big oil companies from US and Europe joined UK to control Iran oil.

This event was one that started religious fundamentalism. And due to the last coup was originated from US embassy, so that was a reason why US embassy is a target during the revolution.

But even after Iran revolution, you didn't see Iran as a major force to challenge the dominance of US power in Middle East. In contrast, Rumsfield was visiting Iraq to supply Saddam chemical and bio weapons to counter Iran influence there. Iran has nothing to do with war on the terror. In the fact, Iran is not just enemy of Saddam Iraq and alos an enemy of Taliban Afghan. But the problem for Iran is that it has HUGE oil reserves and those reserves are NOT CONTROLLED by USA. So if Iran can get rid of its oil, then it doesn't need a toy nuke to protect it from a US takeover. :p

Also the Iran oil is major supply to European Union and China--two potential political heavyweights that can challenge USA's sole superpower statu in the future. So by control Iran, it probably can make sure to hold EU and China on the check.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i'm more worried about Iran giving nukes or dirty bombs to Hamas or Hezbollah, not actually using it themselves.

12. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    Come one now, do you really believe Iran could give Hezzbollah a nuke? Even if Iran makes a nuke they wont make more the one, and even if they do Iran will never give any country and Arab countries and groups the nuke or the know to how. I don’t think Iran is anywhere close to making a nuke, the media and the Israel and western countries are over exaggerating it and so is Iran , the mullahs cant do anything, it will take a long time for them to learn how to make a atomic bomb.

13. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    So is Russia. Are we going to take out Russia too?

14. The Wanderer2

The Wanderer2 New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    They can train and fund Hezbollah to do their dirty work. Iran can accomplish a lot through Hezbollah, which is why the nuclear issue makes us Westerners queasy. Hezbollah finds it quite easy to operate in South America, which is a little too close for comfort.

15. valanjak

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    The only reason why is funding Hezbollah right now is to destabilize Israel which is a regional super power , very much like when the US was funding the Taliban to fight against the Soviets, but did you ever think the US would give Nuclear technology to the Taleban? No, and that’s the same case with Iran, the government in Iran is using Hezbollah as a political tool not militarily