iPod Nano

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dante, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Update: They finally did give the guy I work with a new Nano. Aparently there were some that were flawed and cracked. for the most part I haven't been hearing about problems with them.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a nano. It is really, really nice. I love it. I filled up my 40gig iPod and it actually started to be cumbersome to use just for quick jaunts. On the nano, I put on a few playlists that I update a lot (incl recently added), pictures of my kid (to show people), my contact info, and podcasts. It's great. If I was going on a road trip, I'd take the big one. When I play through my stereo at home, I use the big one. But the nano is great for slipping in my pocket and going to the store.

3. Paul.eta

Paul.eta Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Hehe, that was my fault. I looked at some pictures and thought it was a nano, but indeed upon further inspection it was a mini.

4. balatonsurfer

balatonsurfer BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 21, 2005
    Galbitown
    Ipod = far from delicate:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/1

Works after throwing from a 50mph car, driving over it, throwing it, etc.

That said, are cell phones that play mp3 NEW in America? Live in Korea, old hat here. Satellite TV, MMOG internet gaming, mp3, all rather standard on phones here. Why's America so slow to adopt decent tech?

5. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    It is rather new. The reason why phones don't come with all those special features is because in reality, no one wants to spend more than maybe $50 tops on a cell phone. Only techies are willing to spend money on a smart phone.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's a good question - we always seem like we are about 5 years behind Japan in rolling out new technology.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've heard that a system is being developed where you can wave your cell phone in front of a vending machine in order to pay for the product.

Sad thing is, it'll be at least 10 years before we see it here.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not that sad that another method that Americans will use to bury themselves in debt is that far off. Just let them continue to **** up their credit with cards.

9. balatonsurfer

balatonsurfer BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 21, 2005
    Galbitown
    Speaking of vending machines--the greatest invention I've encountered since coming to Korea (newly arrived a month ago), is that you can put a freaking bill into a vending machine any way--upside down, backwards, whatever. You don't have to have the bill facing a certain way. Now THAT is amazing to me. Including arcade change machines when I was a kid through adult years, I've probably wasted a good 10 hours of my life getting the bill facing the right way...heh.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus when dollar bills have that one little crimp in it, and you spend 5 minutes trying to track down a guy who you can exchange your crimpled bill up for a new bill.

Speaking of American ideas that didn't work out.

[​IMG]

11. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that an American idea though? Britain has used a one-pound coin since the early 80s.

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $$$

Americans tend to spend their money more on their cars and homes instead of technology devices. It's just what the market here demands.

13. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Indeed we have. Is that a picture of a $1 coin?
    The reason we got rid of the £1 note (last guy on it was Sir Isaac Newton) was that the average length of life of a note is 6 months. A coin lasts...well...longer.

14. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, its our latest ill-fated attempt to get Americans to use dollar coins. Of course almost no one uses them, most people preferring bills to coins here.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm not entirely sure how that would be remedied. I can't remember too well the problems when we got rid of £1 notes (was about 5 years old or so), but I do know some were against it (the unwashed public) but it went ahead anyway. I guess the impetus for change isn't that strong in the US. Who does the currency in the US? I guess there's still money in producing notes that will be burnt in a few months rather than conservation and efficiency.

16. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coins are produced by the U.S. Mint, while bills are printed by the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing. Both agencies are part of the Treasury Department. People don't want to change for pretty much the same reason they don't want to go to the metric system. They're too f'in lazy to learn a new system, and in truth it doesn't benefit most people since they so rarely leave the country.

I remember coming back from Europe in the mid-90s, and showing my friends coins for the pound, franc, and Deutsche mark and seeing them astounded that coins were readily available for such large currency values.

17. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG][​IMG]

We haven't had $1 bills since 1987, and the $2 bill was phased out in 1996.

Takes a little getting used to, but having all of that change makes your wallet look fatter ;)

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US used to have $20 coins, $5 coins, etc. but production was stopped.

19. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
  20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Shhhhhhh...... don't tell the Steve Jobs groupies about Apple's on-going quality control issues. You'll cut in on their swoon-time with their iPods. :)