Investor-Operators Out, Owners In

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Scoey, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Does everybody remember not-so-long ago when MLS "owners" were never referred to as "owners," but as "investor-operators"? I do. And now, we never read or hear the term "investor-operator" -- we hear "owner" instead. Why? Was this a deliberate change from MLS? If so, anybody know why? If not, anybody have any understanding/guess about what spawned the change?

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Do you have any evidence to support this theory? Has MLS recently released any official documents with one and not the other? Just curious.

3. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    No, no evidence. Just my observations. I honestly couldn't tell you when the last time I heard/read the term "investor-operator", though.

4. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    it is called pr. if they keep using the term I/O it just serves to remind people that MLS is actually a Soccer-tainment Cartel meant to enrich the I/O and not create traditional football clubs where the football excellence comes first. they now use owner hoping those avid MLS apologists will forget that their "club" is actually just a branch office of MLS-HQ and does not have full and absolute control of their own personnel decisions (within the salary cap and roster rules of course).

5. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jonathan Kraft was on 98.5 Sports Hub radio this week and was referred to as one of the Investor/Operators of the Revs.

6. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Interesting. After I started the thread, I did a google search for "investor-operator MLS" and found a bunch of contemporaneous links using the term. Perhaps it hasn't been totally jettisoned after all...