Interview with former Revs D/M Sam Brill

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Breton Bonnette, Feb 2, 2009.

1. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that.

I do want to point out right away however that anything critical he said about the REVs or MLS is just simply totally off base.

2. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for letting us know about that interview.

Best of luck to Sam.

3. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reserve Division was a joke though. That is a fact.

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. And it was stupid to play a right midfielder as a right back in that Open Cup game.

5. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    "...as long as soccer is being played..."

Sounds like a Kraftian epitaph for the upcoming season.

6. untowardbehavior

Jun 28, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he is pretty much on board with that team, good luck to him. I wonder if we will see the rest of the reserve guys who weren't retained for this season signing elsewhere soon. Manzonelli?

And I remember reading about that Toronto reserve match, so retarded. I felt pretty bad for those guys.

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember precisely when it is, but usually every spring we get to play "Find the Former Rev" amongst USL-1 and USL-2 rosters.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Interesting that Brill said that Nicol already knew him before he signed with the Revs. It sounds like the coaches know just about all of the top local players.

9. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice article.

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No huge surprise, but interesting...

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you trying to imply that other teams have full rosters? :D

12. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why?

13. peabrainedidiot

peabrainedidiot New Member

Nov 21, 2005
    wessagussett
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have mixed feelings about that article and more to the point, what he says. I'm sure he has some valid complaints about the revs and the reserve system, but "being screwed out" in the DC game? Please, you're a reserve player. Suck it up. Maybe if you were better, you would have started. He comes across as a someone who feels victim (which he has little to no right to feel. he was an un-drafted walk on/invite playing in a reserve league, what did he expect?) and he sounds like a bit of a whiner.

the flip side is that it's interesting to see what life (and this is just a small glimpse into it) of what it's like for a guy who probably wont make it as a pro in big league or a high up division. This is a guy who will probably struggle and slum around in lower division in smaller leagues. He'll probably never make a great living do this. He'll play just for the love of the game and may have some very cool experiences and an interesting life story.

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    That's rather harsh, I think. Any defender is going to take it personally when the coach picks a midfielder to fill in on defense. Probably every player on the bench (and those not making the game day roster) feels they deserve more playing time. There's nothing wrong with that. If you let it affect your attitude or your work-rate, that's another story.

Sounds like a good opportunity for him, I hope he gets the job, learns the language, drinks a lot of beer and develops his game.

15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have used sarcasm emoticon.

Well, keeping in mind relativity and point of view...

We've seen videos of Khano/Parkhurst/Shalrie making negative comments, we've seen Matt Reis make a negative comment, and now Sam Brill. All of the comments, in my opinion, have largely been shrugged off on these boards. I think there is more there but expect these boards to mostly turn a blind eye.

Specific to Sam Brill, he basically said the Reserve League was a joke, specifically mentioning the guest players along the way. I'm trying to weigh that off against comments on these boards that, with the demise of the reserve system AND smaller rosters, these guys are still going to get some good game time agains local college teams.

Fewer Reserves + More Guest Players (or tired starters) vs. College Teams (occasionally) = Good/Adequate development?

Maybe MLS agreed with Sam Brill and that's why they shut down the Reserve division. Maybe not. I don't agree that the youth teams are adequate for development. They should feed a healthy reserve division.

16. jokeefe80

jokeefe80 Red Card

Oct 31, 2005
    Boston, Ma
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, im with you

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't remember seeing anyone say that this is a good situation.

Presumably, w/o the reserve league, teams will go back to what they used to do - scrimmage against local college or pro teams. I haven't heard anyone say they think that is an improvement (whether the reserve league was a joke or not).

While I'm sure there were problems with the reserve league, Brill calling it a "joke" is more than a little over the top. So, the Revs and some other teams often didn't have enough healthy players and had to bring in "guest" players. That makes it a joke? I watched a lot of the games, and they resembled college or USL games, much more than MLS games, but they were still useful.

Reserve league had its problems, but MLS should be working to improve it, not eliminate it, IMO.

18. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I completely agree.

I really think the folding of the reserve league at this time was much more of a temporary financial consideration than anything else.

19. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little off-topic but...

Does anyone have a sense of what percentage of players who have had developmental and/or GA contracts eventually are signed to senior contracts?

20. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well for the (recent) Revs theres Dube, Nyassi, Mansally, Tierney, and Cristman. Big Red too.

21. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going a little farther back there's Thompson, Brad Knighton, and Parkhurst only a few years ago as well

which leads to an interesting revelation:

Of the 18 guys currently on the senior roster, seven were DEV players promoted to senior contracts within the last 3 years.

Beyond that, Phelan could be considered as well since he was signed to a senior contract immediately after being picked up from Toronto and Videira, though never actually on a DEV contract, is a recent draftee signed to a senior contract.

22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then it seems we agree.

23. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Sachsen Leipzig!

I've seen them play in that stadium......yeah it holds 45K but the game I was at only drew about 1500. At least he is not with Lokomotive Leipzig, ewww.

I would say USL and college would be a step up from this level, just my opinion. Maybe thats why they can move him up to an attacking position.

Leipzig is a great city though he should enjoy himself, good luck to him.

24. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having actually played against Brill in HS, and seeing one of his 'joke' reserve games, I wish the guy the best of luck, and hey the guy's still young enough to resurrect his 'career'. What do you think the chances are of him returning to the rev's some time in the future?