Interview with Armas

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Heathens '87, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his comments were frank and revealing in the article at US Soccer.....

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=195193

It seems he realizes why he wasn't in camp before, but clearly believes he has earned a call-up at this point...

“It’s frustrating when you know camps are going on and the team is playing games and you’re not there, but when you are realistic with yourself it’s not frustrating because you know you’re not up to the level yet. For the last few months, I feel like I’ve built myself back to a good level.”

I think he also realizes why he's in camp now, and what role he needs to play. He also states what I'd hope is a widely-held view about coming into a USMNT camp if you're not ready to compete at that level....

“I’m a different person and player I was a year ago. I’m very comfortable in the middle of the field, and I feel I can still bring that to the team. Certain parts of my game are better these days. I think the passing is better, and from a leadership standpoint, I have another year under my belt in that role. With the amount of young guys in here, I feel like I can be somewhat of a leader.

I certainly still feel like I belong. The day I think I’m losing it as a player, or I can’t do what I’ve been capable of, I won’t play anymore. I’d say no to a call-up. I wouldn’t cheat everyone that way. Right now, I feel really good the way things are going.”

Plus, Armas is motivated in a way that other players aren't. He seems like an excellent choice to bring into camp with that attitude and desire........

"It would mean a lot to go to a World Cup. Anyone who has a chance at the opportunity, that’s the carrot that’s dangling in front of you. Maybe especially for me, because I was right there ten days away from going [prior to the 2002 World Cup]. My tickets were booked, and my family’s tickets were booked for Korea.

The timing for that injury was bad, but I feel like I have an edge for that reason over a lot of guys. I have this desire and hunger to get back to that stage. That’s the way I look at it. You use certain things for motivation, and going to a World Cup is certainly one of them.”

It's nice to see a realistic and motivated mindset from a player who is going to have to push his way into consideration. It'll be interesting to see what he has left........

2. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never doubted that Armas works as hard or harder than any other guy on the national team. You can bet that he's really hungry to make the 2006 squad because of his history--that's not such a bad thing, even if he on the old side. I'd love to see the guy earn his spot, but I don't think Arena should look at him with rose-colored glasses.

3. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Ditto. I don't think Arena should see him as a starter. He isn't the future of the team. Bruce needs to look for players who can play 90 minute in less then a year. A veteran team is nice and everything, but will they be able to play tough for 90+ minutes against a skilled team?

4. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning 1-0 against Brazil with 75 minutes played I don't know who I would rather sub on to make Ronaldinho even uglier.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Hejduk or Armas

I've always said that Armas would be a fantastic late game sub. this is the guy once marked Totti out of a match. HE doesn't offer much in the attacking 3rd, and Waldo is plain wrong when he calls him a box-to-box midfielder, but there are definatly a few things Armas can do well as a defensive midfielder. I just hope he's finally regained his lateral quickness he lost from ACL surgery

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    To me it goes to where is the other side the most dangerous. On the flanks or in the middle? If it is on the flanks, Hejdude. In the middle, Armas.

7. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    armas is a role player, but hopefully the usmnt is moving beyond needing such players....

unless mastroeni is out injured June of 2006, I can't see the luxury of carrying armas, unless you say JOB or reyna are also out...

and if you watched brazil today, what could armas have done against brazil??

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Armas being like Pope. A nice guy to have on the bench, who can start a game if Pablo gets too many yellows. He can also be useful to close a game out for the last 15 minutes or so.
    I just hope he earns his spot (if he gets one) and isn't given one by bruce out of some sense of sentimentality or obligation.