Internships w/ MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by hala-cosmos, Jan 25, 2006.

1. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Has anybody on these boards had any experience with this? I'm definitely interested in the potential to work for the league or the club I support, but I'm a little wary, especially since MLS is known to, umm... let's say they 'cut corners' where they can.

Are there job prospects within the organization after completion of the internship, or are they using interns so theyll have someone to work for free?

Any info would def. be appreciated.

danKohner repped this.
  2. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my friend (a business and technology major) worked for the metrostars FO last summer (end of his soph. year in college). i'm not sure doing what, or how much they paid, but i could try and find out if you want

3. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    That would be cool, thanks.

4. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    erm... bump?

5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's probably a little of the both, free labor and potential jobs. Like any other business there is always turn over. (I've had 3 ticket reps in the last 3 years). I think potential jobs always depend on openings.

I had a internship back in the old MISL. It was a lot of fun, I learned a ton, and worked a ton of hours.

6. TMDSoccer

TMDSoccer New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Severna Park, MD
    Each club hires 10-15 interns each summer. Obviously helps to know someone at the front office. I know a number of my college teammates who interned with DCU based on a relationship with the coach and the club mgmt.

7. soccrbom2

soccrbom2 New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Terre Haute
    Anyone know anything about interning with MLS headquarters in NYC?

8. Baron von Fat

Baron von Fat New Member

Mar 16, 2005
    The league office has a very extensive internship program - each department (Communications, Marketing, etc) has at least one intern at all times. Some require a six month commitment, but a good number of the employees there began as interns. I think there are descriptions of the program on MLSnet, and like every other job, it helps to know someone in-house.

henryo repped this.
  9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    u arent gonna get paid shite. its unpaid.
    i interned with fcd when in university in dallas, lotsa fun(sarcasm).

good luck with the league office, should be much better, hopefully.

10. Frat Alien

Frat Alien New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Space
    I did, it works! :)

11. EEUU

EEUU Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Massapequa, NY USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked for the League as a Communications Intern back in 1997 (Actually it may have been 1998- It was the first year they were in NYC) under Dan Courtemanche. At the time, the entire MLS Communications staff was just Dan, who was the director, Raffael Morffi, Trey Fitzgerald, myself and one other intern. At the conclusion of the internship there were really no paid openings at the league office(To the best of my knowledge they really liked me there) , but I was told that there were some openings with some of the clubs. I would have had to travel to interview and relocate and so I wasn't interested. I got the feeling that the Communications Dept. was so understaffed that I couldn't help feeling that what myself and the other intern did s/h been paid positions, but the big problem with the sports industry market (at least at the time- don't know if this has changed much) is that so many people are dying to get into the field that a league like MLS can afford to have people do grunt work for free. I did enjoy the internship, however.

Hope this helped,

Arthur

henryo repped this.
  12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if you are unpaid, the experience can take you to the next level.

I was a marketing intern for an A-League team in 99. There were about 10 of us, I think, all unpaid. Still, I took a second job and had a blast all summer. When it came time, I interviewed with a few MLS teams and took a a job with one, albeit briefly. Iit was not right for me, nor I right for them, but it was an invaluable experience.

Of the other interns, I know one worked for the Revs and another for DC. One played in the W-League for a bit. And one is a ticket director for UNC.

John Brunner, if you are alive, what's up!

henryo repped this.
  13. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have long considered this as well. If not in MLS, with a local team like the San Diego Chargers. However I am a little busy during this upcoming June when many people are beginning internships...

14. Grady08

Grady08 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    I interned with DC back in the summer of '98. Probably one of the best experiences of my life. I worked in Operations and got to do a great deal. I drove the team to the airport for their away games, was the visiting team liaison, set up events at RFK, worked with the National Teams (both Men's and Women's), spent a great deal of time with the players and the coaching staff. I got a small amount of money at the end after I returned to school, but I got loads of t-shirts, hats, and other promo stuff that were begin given away. While all that stuff is nice, I learned a tremendous amount about the workings of the club and the behind the scenes stuff.

You work a lot of hours, but they do appreciate it. Even if you don't work with and MLS team, the things you learn can be used in other ways. If you have a chance, take it. It's well worth it.

Good luck...

henryo repped this.
  15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    yeah mate, they compensated me later for mileage,driving around for the team and all, but good to see u learnt something with dc, as i learnt fvckall with fcdallas.

16. Grady08

Grady08 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    The funny thing is that Hitchcock was just starting out there the year I interned...and look where he ended up. I did get a job with the Rapids in '99, but after that I came back to toothless and really scenic Indiana...

Oh well...

17. gunnersbluescardinal

Jan 13, 2005
    Wisconsin
    What about the full jobs? Some of you say you took jobs with teams for a while, what was pay like? I assume it was bad... and that's from somebody who used to work in TV news!

Do managers make any kind of money? Since some players are making almost nothing, I would imagine it's low, but I'm still interested.

Thanks.

18. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump
    I would love to read some more reviews of internships with MLS and various clubs. I'm planning on doing one next summer.

19. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #20 henryo, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UnionFreak1 repped this.
  21. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its only legal (not sure if this is a state-by-state or federal law) to not pay interns if they're receiving some other form of benefit, usually some sort of course credit while learning the basics of the trade they're studying. A number of companies, including the Timbers, have been busted for offering unpaid internships as an educational experience and then turning around and using the interns as unpaid labor to do the menial work no paid associate wants to do while they learn nothing about the business.

According to reports, in the Timbers case the interns were farmed out to summer soccer camps in the suburbs and then never checked in on for multiple weeks. The interns complained (or one in particular) when she realized she could learn nothing else from the camps but went weeks before getting any kind of contact from the Timbers. Essentially they got somebody to due the dog work of running their day camps for free.

terrier and Kappa74 repped this.
  24. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I know I talked to an intern with DC United and he told me he went to an MLS school in Minnasota. In that school he had to list three teams he would want to work for and off that list of three he would work for one of those teams. This guy ended up working every game, no time to sit and actually enjoy the game.