International tournaments

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by SideshowBob, Feb 1, 2007.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to compile a list of international tournaments for MLS teams and who will play in them. Any assistance is appreciated in correcting this info.

Concacaf Champions' Cup (Feb-April)
    Supporter's Shield Winner [or second place if they won the MLS Cup]: DC United
    MLS Cup winner: Houston Dynamo

SuperLiga (July-August)
    Invitation this season, TBS criteria in future: DC United, Houston Dynamo, FC Dallas, LA Galaxy

Copa Sudamericana (Sept-Dec)
    The 2nd place team in the CCC goes here

FIFA Club World Cup (Dec)
    The 1st place team in the CCC goes here

Are there any other international tournaments that MLS can/will participate in? Is La Manga Cup still contested?
    Any chance that MLS teams will play in the Copa Libertadores in the future?

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks really good. I just hope with all the Latin teams coming over that , local fans get behind the MLS clubs for the home games instead of rooting against them.

3. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    There's been talk in CONMEBOL about MLS in the Libertadores. But the earliest that could happen would be 2008 or 2009. There was an article about it posted here back during the late summer.

As for any that you missed... there's the Rio Grande Plate. Though only a little more than a friendly between FC Dallas and Tigres it seems FC Dallas winning it in Monterrey last summer may have given it new status since pride is on the line now. It's a home and away series. FC Dallas also has one with Brazillian club Atletico Paranese who, like Tigres, is another one of their partners.

I'd love to see a similar deal with DC United and River Plate!

4. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    I'd love to see MLS in Copa Lib but that is at least a few years off.

Aren't they scaling back some of the qualifying spots from other countries as it is? Something tells me that Mexico wouldn't be wild about having to compete for their spot with MLS teams in the future either. Seems like a ton of logistics would have to be worked out.

5. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't want overscheduling, too many games. Although the financial and prestige implications are tempting, I don't want MLS teams to be involved in too many competitions in a year, esp. if the USOC might suffer :( I like the idea of the Superliga, but I hate to see the USOC altered...

6. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, how do you win the Supporter's Shield?

7. thespian89

thespian89 Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Club that has most points of the regular season wins it.

8. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last supporters' group standing...;)

9. orbie

orbie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Austin
    I'm a huge fan of these international tournaments. I usually get people from work that are from other countries excited about watching them also.

I'm sure there are a hundred reasons why it wouldn't work, and I'm sure they are listed in another post some place, but perhaps the Superliga can be tied into spots for the Copa Lib. giving it more crediablity.

As some have stated in other posts, it looks as if this may be an attempt at replacing the CCC with a more MLS friendly tournament.

Any news on if the Superliga will open up to the region or just be a Mexico v. USA marketing tool for boosted ticket sales.