International Teams Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Madmartigan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Madmartigan

Madmartigan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA
    SoB Davey,

Why do you support Fulham then? I don't support Fulham -- I'm just wondering why the animosity. It seems to me that the Cottagers need all the support they can get.

2. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Soccer Pubs in Philadelphia

I apologize. I didn't realize that constant winning was the only criterion for choosing a club to support.

I'm guessing that you're a Man United supporter? No? Oh, then maybe Liverpool? Arsenal? Chelsea?

3. NJgotlove

NJgotlove Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Monmouth County,NJ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We Got Philly On The Drums!

We Got Philly On The Drums!

Hit It Twice And The Goals Will Come!

Cuz We Got Philly On The Drums!

4. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

NE Patrioddz, even?

5. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Philadelphia Soul?

6. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *pulls out penis* Should I see a doctor about this rash?

SOB Davey, You and I both know he's probably ALL FOUR.

7. Calcio69

Calcio69 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    CHADDS FORD PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Health Advisor - No, for the kinds of activities in which you participate, that particular condition is 'normal' and should be expected.
    Just try to keep it relatively clean and odor-free, wash it regularly ("Oh, boy!!") w/ shampoo and warm Tully Dew, and call me back in the morning.
    ;)

8. cornerkick215

cornerkick215 New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Philly
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you kindly D.

9. Madmartigan

Madmartigan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA

SoB Davey,

I wasn't implying that supporting Fulham was a waste of time or idiotic. More power to you for not following one of the "big four". I was just wondering why your tag says (paraphrasing) "If you support Fulham because of all of the Americans, please stop. Thank you." So what if someone else (God forbid) wants to support Fulham? Even with all of the Americans, there can't be that many Cottagers out there. You can still pretty much have them all to yourself. I would think that you'd want more support here, not less. Relax, man. It wasn't meant to get you mad -- just a question.

For the record, I support Liverpool (mid 90s). I would say that 95-98% of American fans here follow either United, Liverpool, Arsenal, the new Chelsea, or Tottenham, and in my opinion that's mainly because when FSC started, the majority of televised matches involved those five clubs and whoever they were playing, but hardly ever a match that didn't involve those five. So before everyone calls me a frontrunner (love that term), look in the mirror. When I'm at the Darkhorse (often), I can count on one hand the fans that are there for any other team other than those five clubs, unless of course they are actually from the UK, and that's even iffy.

10. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

See, his rooting for Fulham is much less cool now that everyone does it...

11. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't have a problem with people who start following Fulham because of the Americans if they stay with the club once all of them are gone. The problem is that I don't think any of them will.

Of course you do.

12. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You forgot the condescending emoticon. And you know that's not why it bothers me.

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

who is "them" ... the american players, or the supporters?

14. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Both

15. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The "supporters", of course.

16. Madmartigan

Madmartigan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA

Sorry, SoB Davey and thejuggernaut, but supporting Fulham and Man City from PA is about one thing -- reveling in just how original you obviously think you are. I bet you fellas 'discovered' Korn and had pity parties when you found out other people listened to them too. I'll also wager that you secretly want your teams to be relegated so that you can be Top Dog Supporter when other fans possibly go elsewhere. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be different, but let's just call it what it is -- following those respective clubs for that reason alone. It can't be about the actual soccer being played at Craven Cottage or the Eastlands, or the crap atmosphere at both grounds, or half-empty stadiums for cup matches, etc.

Following Liverpool for me is less about winning things and more about learning things. I like to read about a history that is longer than two pages. I enjoy learning countless SONGS with more than five words, rather than the usual drivel that is "Cmon City/Fulham/any other English club", "Who are ya?", and "Stand up if you hate (fill in the blank)." It's about being a little less generic than the average club. I'm not sure why I feel the need to justify myself to you guys anyway -- your smugness tells me everything that I probably need to know.

And I guess it's all good following a relegation-threatened side as long as your OTHER club Celtic (laughable) win a title every other year, right SoB Davey?

To those interested in the original thread, I've been to a handful of Philadelphia pubs to watch soccer and I prefer the Dark Horse. Check out the website if you're interested -- darkhorsepub.com.

17. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't see how anyone can ever claim any real loyalty to a foreign club. If it's not from your hometown, why would you bother caring?

Don't get me wrong, I like to root for Fulham -- They've got a friendly atmosphere, a charming stadium in a nice neighborhood, affordable and accessible tickets, and hard working, honest supporters. But will I lose any sleep if Fulham is relegated? Not really, no. I also won't be going to any parade if Fulham wins the UEFA cup (Next year for sure).

Support of a professional team is about trumpeting the pride of your city, neighborhood, and roots over others. I support ALL Philadelphia teams, because I identify with Philadelphia. I root for Fulham because I find them charming, but I'm certainly no die-hard... Because I'm not from Fulham, I've never lived in Fulham, I've never worked in Fulham, and so I don't truly identify with the neighborhood.

Arguing about who supports who, and why, is as retarded to me as the special olympics unless you've really lived and identify with Liverpool, Rome, Frankfurt, London, or wherever the arbitrarily picked team you've adopted calls home. It just doesn't make sense to me.

18. NJgotlove

NJgotlove Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Monmouth County,NJ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL Pride Match

Just doing a little info grabbing here....who would be interested in a game between the SoBs...like a Spurs v Fulham game(that seems to be the two clubs with the largest followings among us)...at a designated area and we wear the uni's of our team

I may be wrong about Fulham..but im pretty sure Spurs is up there in numbers

Any interest? Maybe even like a tournament...4 v 4..so all teams could get represented?

19. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: EPL Pride Match

it would end up being a arsenal vs spurs/fulham.

20. NJgotlove

NJgotlove Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Monmouth County,NJ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Even Better!!!:d

21. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I totally agree. I support Reading because of Bobby Convey, but I am more into the US national team and of coarse Philadelphia Athletic. Philly is my town and I support anything that comes from Philly.

22. MLisinPA

MLisinPA Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Repped for this one. I just stopped rooting for Newcastle and have really become a Spurs follower. I felt bad at first that I didn't want to be a Newcastle fan anymore but then I realized I have no attachment whatsoever to the club. I would never imagine rooting for another baseball team other than the Phillies, but European soccer, that's completely different.

23. MLisinPA

MLisinPA Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be in for this. Only thing is I won't be home from school until May. But if this is a spring/summer thing I would be in.

24. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so it looks like only Spurs fans are maning up. w00t w00t!!!

25. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's just desparation