International Rugby Test: Ireland v USA (R)

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by pmannion, Nov 15, 2004.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Match is this Saturday at Lansdowne Road. Thought I'd start a thread since there are so many American posters here. Any of you follow American rugby?

After our great win against South Africa, Ireland will likely field a much more experimental lineup against the Americans. Hopefully we can get a win, and keep our momentum going into the Six Nations.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Ireland will probably win by 75-80.

Unfortunately, American preperations are extremely poor. They are just meeting this week for a few training sessions before flying out to Dublin. How can we ever move forward if management does not take training seriously.

OTOH, they are probably focusing on having a genuine chance to beat Italy, which is in a week. They will have proper preperation then.

3. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    IRELAND TEAM V USA

G Murphy
    S Horgan
    B O'Driscoll (capt)
    K Maggs
    T Bowe
    D Humphreys
    G Easterby
    M Horan ........... Replacements:
    F Sheahan .......... S Byrne
    J Hayes .......... S Best
    O'Callaghan.......... L Cullen
    P O'Connell ......... A Foley
    S Easterby ......... P Stringer
    D Leamy ........ R O'Gara
    E Miller .......... G Dempsey

Two debutants, and eight changes from the side that beat South Africa.

4. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    i don't see USA having any chance at all. i hope they score 3 times.

5. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that too, until Italy whacked the snot out of Canada two weeks ago. Of course Canada then went on to lose to England 70-0, so that might not be the best result to guage.

6. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I think Canada is pretty crap at this point, plus they didn't have their best XV out there.

Remember, a full-strength Canada did beat Italy about 2 years ago, so there's a small chance, which is a lot more than can be said against Ireland.

7. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Bad horrible result for the US. 55-6 and the sad part is it was 13-6 at the half.Well we did fight or so said some of the reports.We play Italia next which we have at least a chance at getting some points out of. We arent that bad of a team but, obviously not good enough yet to play with some of the best sides.

8. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Well when you're an amateur side you tend to fall apart in the 2nd half as the pace gets to you. I saw the match. the USA did OK in the first half, but Ireland helped them out by being equally poor. The USA never looked like threatening or making any sort of convincing line breaks.

Just a remark on how fast international rugby is. In Super League, we marvel at the quickness of Mose Timoteo's pass. His pass was practically glacial compared to Guy Easterby's, who is the 2nd string Ireland halfback.

9. Fulhamfc3

Fulhamfc3 New Member

Sep 26, 2004
    Las Vegas
    USA isnt as bad as this result. 55-6 no USA isnt that bad.Well at least the US can get some experience against some of the better teams which is always a plus even if you lose 55-6.